Gen 2 CCT replacement, Drain Oil?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gen2Jockey

Reaction score
Hello all,

Winter is hopefully on the out's soon and I've been dragging my feet on replacing the CCT on my '07. Honestly, the one that's in there is probably fine but you know, internet. There's a sucker born every minute.

Can someone comment on if it's necessary to drain the oil before removing the right side cover to zip tie the chain guides? Is that even necessary or just recommended best practice?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing behind that cover, so just pull it off.

I bought a long VERY thin screwdriver at Ace Hardware to make the CCT/valve adjust process easier. It slips nicely alongside the frame member to release the tension without drama.

Yes. You absolutely do want to restrain the timing chain, either by ty-wrapping the rear chain guide forward (tie it to the front guide) or else jam a 10mm 1/4 drive socket in behind the rear guide to hold it forward. If you dont, there is about a 50% chance it will jump a tooth on the bottom sprocket and the engine will be out of time.

A clever fellow would look at the level of oil in the sight glass and transpose that to the opposite side of the engine where the timing chain cover is. The executive answer is: no you dont need to drain the oil.

Not necessary to drain the oil long as you do a good job cleaning everything up good before disassembly.

I don't know what your plans are, but I think most of us did a valve check at the same time. Its amassing how much sand and grit get down in the water tube holes and the plug holes. I'm anal about blowing those holes out, even putting water down in the holes and blowing the water out a couple of times.

Absolutely a good idea to zip tie the crap out of it, better safe than sorry. I even aligned all of the timing marks when I did mine. And yes it's worth it, getting the cam chain death rattle has costed a few new motors. I have read and heard many a time where folks have skipped a tooth.

Good luck.

I was not careful when I put the ty rap around the cam chain and I got it too high on the chain, after I took the bolts off the cams and lifted them up, I found the lower chain hanging down loosely. Darn. I tightened the ty rap correctly and then tried really hard to make sure the timing was correct, but I have felt ever since then that the FJR was a little down on power, and my MPG seem to be down slightly as well. You almost can't tell exactly about the timing because you can't look directly at the marks on the cams. Ignorance is bliss, make sure you put the ty rap in the right place when you do yours.

Swearing was involved
Pretty much a part of any mechanical job.
laugh.png

Make sure you get a replacement sidecover gasket. Mine was not re-usable.
Agreed - if you have one on hand, it is practically certain you won't need it but if you don't have one, it will tear for sure. That's worked for me the last three times I had the side cover off. (Still have the spare gasket too!)

I was not careful when I put the ty rap around the cam chain and I got it too high on the chain, after I took the bolts off the cams and lifted them up, I found the lower chain hanging down loosely. Darn. I tightened the ty rap correctly and then tried really hard to make sure the timing was correct, but I have felt ever since then that the FJR was a little down on power, and my MPG seem to be down slightly as well. You almost can't tell exactly about the timing because you can't look directly at the marks on the cams. Ignorance is bliss, make sure you put the ty rap in the right place when you do yours.
OOPS this post is about CCT replacement not valve adjustment, sorry.

Latest posts