1st Century maintenance, suspension upgrade and general maintenance advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as an update on my endeavor, I am almost certainly going to have Jay at Sasquatch work on the bike. He is clearly very knowledgeable and experienced with FJRs and certainly sets the bar on customer service.

I still haven't decided whether or not to rebuild the rear shock and add a beefier spring or to upgrade it to an aftermarket. A lot of riders here seem to really like the Penske 8983. As I understand it, this will give me compression and rebound adjustments over the stock unit and raise the bike and inch and a half? Is this correct?

Only other decision I need to make is whether or not to make the ride to Boise ( a trip I am sure I will enjoy ) or to send him my parts. I've never taken the forks off before and wonder if I would be biting off more than I can chew.

Thoughts?

I have ridden one of Jay's rebuilt shocks that was also re-valved and re-sprung. It was an improvement over the OEM GEN2 shock but not even close in ride and handling to a GEN3 shock. Buy a GEN3 shock and then send it to Jay when it needs to be rebuilt......which is what I may eventually do with my GEN3 shock.

I have ridden one of Jay's rebuilt shocks that was also re-valved and re-sprung. It was an improvement over the OEM GEN2 shock but not even close in ride and handling to a GEN3 shock. Buy a GEN3 shock and then send it to Jay when it needs to be rebuilt......which is what I may eventually do with my GEN3 shock.
Is there more to a Gen III shock than just a stiffer spring from the Gen II?

Is there more to a Gen III shock than just a stiffer spring from the Gen II?
Yamaha got its act together on the GEN3 shock, it's got much heavier springs and has been revalved....and it costs much less than the GEN2 shocks. You can buy them from aftermarket suppliers for $400-430 US. Ask Redfishhunter about the one he put on his father's 07.

<snippage> A lot of riders here seem to really like the Penske 8983. As I understand it, this will give me compression and rebound adjustments over the stock unit and raise the bike and inch and a half? Is this correct?
I've never taken the forks off before and wonder if I would be biting off more than I can chew.

Thoughts?
A 8983 & remote reservoir offers separate compression and rebound adjustments. When you order the shock, you have a choice of ride height adjustment. Stock shock length with 12mm shorter adjustment and stock (shock length) and 12mm additional adjustment. With the additional 12mm adjustment in shock length and taking the linkage ratio (~2.7X) into account, 12mm additional shock length adds approximately 32mm in ride height. FWIW, I run my 8983 ~3mm longer than stock for a little quicker turn in and to keep close to the stock height when packing double and loaded.

If you've pulled the front wheel, you can remove the forks. Only additional steps are removing the front fender and brake hose clamps (if not already) and loosen the triple clamp pinch bolts. Fork(s) slide right out the bottom. You'll need to support the bike under the headers with a block of wood and floor jack too.

Good luck!

--G

<snippage> A lot of riders here seem to really like the Penske 8983. As I understand it, this will give me compression and rebound adjustments over the stock unit and raise the bike and inch and a half? Is this correct?
I've never taken the forks off before and wonder if I would be biting off more than I can chew.

Thoughts?
A 8983 & remote reservoir offers separate compression and rebound adjustments. When you order the shock, you have a choice of ride height adjustment. Stock shock length with 12mm shorter adjustment and stock (shock length) and 12mm additional adjustment. With the additional 12mm adjustment in shock length and taking the linkage ratio (~2.7X) into account, 12mm additional shock length adds approximately 32mm in ride height. FWIW, I run my 8983 ~3mm longer than stock for a little quicker turn in and to keep close to the stock height when packing double and loaded.

If you've pulled the front wheel, you can remove the forks. Only additional steps are removing the front fender and brake hose clamps (if not already) and loosen the triple clamp pinch bolts. Fork(s) slide right out the bottom. You'll need to support the bike under the headers with a block of wood and floor jack too.

Good luck!

--G
Thanks for that. I did however get lost in one small detail: you said you run yours about 3 mm longer but also said you get 12mm additional shock length if you order it. Does that mean its adjustable throughout that range, i.e. 0-12mm? Does the 8983 with the extra 12mm drop into the same spot without any additional parts? Does adding this 32 mm ride height not impact the geometry?

Forgot to ask as well, is there preload adjustment? The ability to alter the the preload for when I am long distance with gear versus local would be a real plus. I never really found the HARD/SOFT OEM did much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could have done a better job of explaining...

First, here's the Penske Link with details. Yes, shock length is completely adjustable from OEM length +/- 12mm depending on which option chosen. Forgot about it, but you also have the option of OEM +/- 6mm. Adding the full ~32mm ride height would impact geometry, I can't see where that much would ever be used. Also, use of the center stand would be iffy as the back tire would be close (if not touching) the ground.

Preload adjustment is via threaded collar. It's not too bad to reach on the FJR but honestly, unless you're packing a lot of extra weight, preload is probably a set it and forget it adjustment.

Hope this helps.

--G

Top of the day!

OK I have an 09 with 35K, the guy I bought it from only had it a short time and claimed the previous owner put a Race Tech set up in the front and not having ridden another FJR I have no benchmark but it feels good other than I get a pretty solid bar wobble if I let go of the bars at 35 or less...

I ride solo weekend warrior type stuff with a local group a couple times a month and shorter trips with my wife a little more often. Last year we did a 7 day 2300 mile trip that was a blast and she loved it so we plan to do more of that this year. I also just picked up an old Bushtec trailer for a steal. I weigh in at 210-220 and the wife is 130, I installed a Shad SH-50 (pig) top case on it --> https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/164903-shad-sh50-top-case-givi-sr57-mount-mod-re-post-caution-pic-heavy-wordy/ and I want to make sure I get the best set up that will fit the broad range of solo peg dragging to trailer peg dragging.

I am settling in on the Penske 8983 and after talking with the factory probably a 950 lb spring, he was wavering on as high as 1000. I intend to ride up to KFG and have them A) Verify the front end has been re-sprung and if so service it and if not do it. B) Install the new Penske.

Questions;

1. The 8983 comes with the option of Banjo hose for 50.00 more, will this make it easier to install or service down the road or is it 50 I can keep for gas?

2. I am 6'0" I understand the shock can be ordered as a + or - X mm I am not interested in minus but suggestions on the stock or + ??

3. The Corbin buckboard this thing came with is the most uncomfortable hardest seat I have ever ridden and I intend to offer it up for sale in case someone loves being uncomfortable so in tandem with the + or - question above knowing a certain amount of "lift" can be built into a seat I intend to get a pan and have someone make me a seat how does this affect my shock set up if at all.

Thanks for reading this short novel.

JP

Top of the day!
*snip*
Questions;

1. The 8983 comes with the option of Banjo hose for 50.00 more, will this make it easier to install or service down the road or is it 50 I can keep for gas?

2. I am 6'0" I understand the shock can be ordered as a + or - X mm I am not interested in minus but suggestions on the stock or + ??

3. The Corbin buckboard this thing came with is the most uncomfortable hardest seat I have ever ridden and I intend to offer it up for sale in case someone loves being uncomfortable so in tandem with the + or - question above knowing a certain amount of "lift" can be built into a seat I intend to get a pan and have someone make me a seat how does this affect my shock set up if at all.

Thanks for reading this short novel.

JP
Hey, JP. Nice to see someone else in the same boat. I have never even heard of the banjo thingy but will look into it for myself as well.

I've written to Barry at KFG and he has pretty much told me on the Penske as well. It's really not a helluva lot more than a Gen III shock but from what I read, everyone says I will see night and day difference. I also especially find the extra 1" of ride height appealing.

I will probably do the rebuilt kit on the forks as the cartridges are just beyond what I would like to spend (boat needs new canvas
wink.png
and my riding requirements really don't demand any more.

My dilemma now is where do I get this done. An expert here in Vancouver also has spent some time edumicating me and I would like to throw business his way. I'm pretty sure he gets his parts from KFG and the price for the shock was about the same with the exchange rate (but he didn't clarify if I have to pay shipping and brokerage fees etc.). He also quoted me a few hundred dollars lower price than Barry for the fork kit from GP, but I think maybe he forgot to calculate an exchange? Dunno. Thing is, he is not far away which is good if I need servicing. On the other hand, going to KFG is like cutting out the middleman.

My bike is apart in the garage right now so I could install the shock myself and drop the forks off and save the cost of labour and time of going to Auburn. I'm hoping a decision presents itself.

Keep in touch about when/what you are having done. Maybe we can show up there at the same time.

My dilemma now is where do I get this done. An expert here in Vancouver also has spent some time edumicating me and I would like to throw business his way. I'm pretty sure he gets his parts from KFG and the price for the shock was about the same with the exchange rate (but he didn't clarify if I have to pay shipping and brokerage fees etc.). He also quoted me a few hundred dollars lower price than Barry for the fork kit from GP, but I think maybe he forgot to calculate an exchange? Dunno. Thing is, he is not far away which is good if I need servicing. On the other hand, going to KFG is like cutting out the middleman.

My bike is apart in the garage right now so I could install the shock myself and drop the forks off and save the cost of labour and time of going to Auburn. I'm hoping a decision presents itself.

Keep in touch about when/what you are having done. Maybe we can show up there at the same time.
There are lots and lots of places from which to acquire appropriate springs. Your guy in Canada can order the same springs that KFG/GP does from the actual manufacturer of the springs, so I wouldn't consider KFG/GP to be a middleman. This might not be the case for front fork valves, though your guy in Canada would likely just order in the Race Tech products.

The labor difference on front forks isn't that surprising. I once wanted to drop off my forks (off the bike) to have the springs swapped out and the preload spacers cut to size. KFG wanted $300 in labor for this procedure and insisted that the forks needed to be completely rebuilt (I replaced the bushings and seals the week prior). Escapefjrtist and I swapped the springs out with the forks still on the bike in about 45 minutes.

@Phatair - come up to Tech Day in Auburn and we can have a look at your front forks to see what work has or hasn't been done. We can also help you install a rear shock if you like.

@Maj - if you can make it to Tech Day at the start, we can respring and replace the valves on your forks if you bring Race Tech valves, new springs, and any Race Tech supplemental installation parts. You'll need a few extra supplies, but the install isn't the end of the world.

Van Isl(Victoria) rider here with my .02 worth. I am expecting my HyperPro shock any day now from EPM for my 08. I purchased the basic shock with remote preload, all in under $1500 Cdn. Spring weight set for rider & pillion. I plan to do the work myself, it certainly looks easier to do than the Hyperpro I put in my previous ride; a Triumph Tiger, which BTW transformed the bike. I'll report once I get it in, the sag set etc & go for a ride. Yeah, can't wait !

@Phatair - come up to Tech Day in Auburn and we can have a look at your front forks to see what work has or hasn't been done. We can also help you install a rear shock if you like.
@Maj - if you can make it to Tech Day at the start, we can respring and replace the valves on your forks if you bring Race Tech valves, new springs, and any Race Tech supplemental installation parts. You'll need a few extra supplies, but the install isn't the end of the world.
That sounds like a great plan and I am all in to do it. I was a little hesitant when it was first mentioned as I figure it was a big job and didn't want to come acrossas someone bringing my bike to a social gathering just to save a few $$$. Actually, I would like to learn the mechanics to suspension.

But, I haven't really given this route serious thought for a few reasons - maybe you can shed some light on them:

- where can I buy a Penske shock outside of KFG or the local guy (or should I just go through one of them anyway?)

- what options are available when ordering an 8983? I heard somebody mention 'bango' something or other. I'll need a remote reservoir, yes? And an adapter kit? I also want the extra inch riding height. My understanding is Penske custom makes their shocks to meet rider and riding specifics. How do you determine these specific requirements, for example, the spring rate that would be required?

- I don't know what's involved in 'rebuilding' the forks, but, I would hazard a guess I would need to. There are valves, bushings springs and oil on OEM, yes? So, the options I have explored for my forks are: a local rebuild (minimal), dropping in 'valve kits' from either Traxxion, KFG or Sasquatch (which, as I understand it IS a rebuild because they are re-valved and get new springs. Springs are chosen just like with the shock, i.e. to meet rider specifics, but are the valves chosen specifically as well? In either case, I have no idea what I would require in terms of valves or springs. That is why, so far, I 've just been relying on the notion that these decisions will be made by the 'experts'. I've also considered the drop in cartridges such as AK20s but have deemed these to be beyond my price range and riding requirements.

- I have seen many posts on RaceTech components for the forks but have no idea what sets them apart from from say the valves kits and springs I would get from any other forum-recognized professional and therefore, would have no clue what I would need to order myself.

-finally, I work on a Coast Guard vessel and can be gone for extended periods. If the tech day in Auburn isnt't before May, there is likely only a 50/50 chance I can make it. Is there any more news on this?

thanks for all the input

@Maj

Tech Day is Saturday, May 14th, pinned thread is in the PNW section.

While KFG is an option, you can purchase a Penske shock at a variety of on-line retailers. Google is your friend. Check out this link for the Penske website for specific information for your questions. In the couple times I contacted Penske directly, I found the Techs knowledgeable and extremely helpful. Traxxion is another Penske supplier and suspension shop that is well regarded. Stoltec Moto does a lot of work with Tenere's and FZ-09s so you'd have to contact them directly regarding an FJR shock.

A 8983 Penske for the FJR will have a remote reservoir. Whoever you order it from (Penske) will supply the proper top mount spacers and lower mount shackle. Spring rate is determined by what you tell Penske via the vendor. For a one-up normal weight rider, FJRs typically run 6" X 850# spring. I have one of those plus a 6" X 950# spring I swap for loaded two-up riding.

More questions?

--G

Thanks for the feedback. Any insight on Racetech vs. GP and what springs I would need?
I used RT springs on my '06, no complaints with installation, fit or function. You can also check out Sonic for fork springs. GP doesn't make their own springs, I don't recall which manufacturer they provide.

For an idea for spring rate, check out the RT spring calculator although, I find the rates at little stiff. My GP forks have 1.0 kg springs in them

--G

- I don't know what's involved in 'rebuilding' the forks, but, I would hazard a guess I would need to. There are valves, bushings springs and oil on OEM, yes? So, the options I have explored for my forks are: a local rebuild (minimal), dropping in 'valve kits' from either Traxxion, KFG or Sasquatch (which, as I understand it IS a rebuild because they are re-valved and get new springs. Springs are chosen just like with the shock, i.e. to meet rider specifics, but are the valves chosen specifically as well? In either case, I have no idea what I would require in terms of valves or springs. That is why, so far, I 've just been relying on the notion that these decisions will be made by the 'experts'. I've also considered the drop in cartridges such as AK20s but have deemed these to be beyond my price range and riding requirements.

- I have seen many posts on RaceTech components for the forks but have no idea what sets them apart from from say the valves kits and springs I would get from any other forum-recognized professional and therefore, would have no clue what I would need to order myself.

-finally, I work on a Coast Guard vessel and can be gone for extended periods. If the tech day in Auburn isnt't before May, there is likely only a 50/50 chance I can make it. Is there any more news on this?
I'll cover these since George was comprehensive in answering the rest.

A fork rebuild generally consists of replacing the slider bushings, fork seals, dust seals, and oil. The valves themselves are generally just flushed out and otherwise left alone. If you're going the extra mile to replace the valves, it's a little bit of supplemental work to remove the factory valve and install replacements. If you buy Race Tech valves, you'll get some paperwork about going to their website to enter your information, then their web tool will spit out the settings that you need for your valves. When you install the valves, there are stacks of shims that are adjusted accordingly. When I installed mine, they came set properly from the factory.

I'm not sure how to differentiate between Race Tech and the others, I used the RT because there are write-ups floating around on how to perform the installation.

If the Tech Day occurs during your deployment, there's also a fall tech day. Otherwise, there are plenty of us floating around down here who can help you. You can probably talk some of us into spending a Saturday to get you squared away.

snipI'm not sure how to differentiate between Race Tech and the others, I used the RT because there are write-ups floating around on how to perform the installation.

If the Tech Day occurs during your deployment, there's also a fall tech day. Otherwise, there are plenty of us floating around down here who can help you. You can probably talk some of us into spending a Saturday to get you squared away.
Thanks. This was the info I was looking for. I am going to order the Penske from KFG tomorrow and have them install it Friday before Tech Day. I will also get their fork kit and have them do that as well. I'm sure I will be happy with what's done.

I have a hotel booked for Friday 13th a little up the street (Days Inn?) from Auburn's so I will be dropping by to say 'Hi' anyway.

My Hyperpro rear shock arrived from EPM & now installed.

As I've often read here on the forum, you don't realize what you've been missing until you have installed an after market shock. Wow, what a difference ! Its not like I wasn't expecting a big change especially after fitting my last ride with a Hyperpro, but one tends to forget the feeling. Corners are now planted, inspiring way more confidence. The front end behaves because the rear is set up properly, just great !

The install was pretty straight forward, some great tips here on the forum, especially the one about the little screws holding hoses by the ABS unit that obstruct the upper shock bolt. Don't remember who wrote that, but thanks. The remote preload adjuster bracket needed a small mod, the line to the shock was a bit tight for my liking so moved it a bit to create a bit more slack. I set the static & dynamic sag, preload and damping both rear & front, its like a new ride. In the near future I will change the fork oil, maybe leave front springs for next winters project, we'll see. I have only owned this bike for just over 6 months and not sure what the PO did and when that was last done or did not do as I found out with the relay arm.

Since everything was out I was able to service the relay arm, lots of play in the upper front pivot, did not take the arm off yet, (next project) but will when I receive the new bearings, collars & seals that I just ordered for the upper & the one connected to the shock. The 2 dog bone connections were fine, so I just cleaned & lubed those I could get at, then do a full proper job when the parts come. I am not looking forward to to that, removing the center stand etc. I have an engine hoist that I figure I could use to support/stabilize the bike and use a front wheel chock due to the absence of a horizontal support (for 2 straps) on the engine hoist. To lift the bike I would use a floor jack with a 2x4 & little blocks ( headers between the blocks). There is a good pic here on the forum demonstrating this. I hope this goes smoothly because there always seems to be something that creates an obstacle to overcome. But that is not happening this weekend, this is. The bike beckons and the sun shines here in Victoria on Van Isl.

Enjoy the Easter weekend.