Parts swap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
Been doing some searching but this tablet isn't working.

I have an 06 and 04 FJR's sitting here. The 06 has grand prix suspension set up for my size. I know the rear shock swaps easy but I can't find if I can swap the fork internals . Thoughts?

I have an 06 and 04 FJR's sitting here.
Detailed in the FJR Model Comparison Matrix already. '06 is a Gen 2 and forks are significantly different externally and internally. It's not a straight swap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Ignacio, that's some amazing customer service / guidance.

4 minutes later, OP has his answer.

If only all our other online experiences weren't so productive...
wow.gif

I think the internal parts that you probably would want to swap are interchangeable. I moved the the cartridges (with GP Suspension damping valves) and springs from my 05 to a 08. It was a straight swap that didn’t require any modifications.

I think the internal parts that you probably would want to swap are interchangeable. I moved the the cartridges (with GP Suspension damping valves) and springs from my 05 to a 08. It was a straight swap that didn’t require any modifications.
Thanks for that. I knew the big parts didn't cross over but was hoping the guts would. Looks like I can upgrade the suspension on my 04 without spending big dollars. Probably another winter project.

Impossible to tell from the parts fiche - part numbers aren't the same but it is impossible to say whether that means a difference in physical dimensions or specification (or just number). The only difference that I know for sure is that the Gen II is designed to accommodate a third bushing in each fork. At least some of the suspension houses don't replace the middle bushing when they do the shock. Makes the job way easier too!

Good to know!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about all this but would like to know WHY you could not do a direct swap.

I heard that there was another slider in the Gen.2, and I thought I heard that the

speedo was on the front wheel in the 04??? but isn't that in the wheel not in the forks? Not

saying I KNOW anything, just WANT to know. Thanks

I don't know much about all this but would like to know WHY you could not do a direct swap.I heard that there was another slider in the Gen.2, and I thought I heard that the

speedo was on the front wheel in the 04??? but isn't that in the wheel not in the forks? Not

saying I KNOW anything, just WANT to know. Thanks
You would end up with an orphan. The speedo input is in the gearbox but the ABS is in the wheel and the 04 has no ABS so you would end up with no ABS on either one along with adapting brakes and fender issues it wouldn't be worth it . By just changing the innards everything still works. I could just keep the 06 intact but I like the 04 gen1 bike better and it only has 19k on the clock and with the GP suspension it will be just about perfect for me. When I'm done if my son doesn't want it there could be a really sweet deal on a stock 06 with 39k on it.

Lower forks and calipers are different. 04 ABS was optional. Blue caliper pucks non ABS . Silver ABS model. As for the rest I don't know.