2014 FJR Transmission/Engine replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mispahr

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have 2014 FJR with 40,000 miles that has a major transmission issue. Getting a rattle of the transmission when shifting from into gears 3-5. Everyone I have spoken to, including the Yamaha mechanics say this is not like this bike to have this issue, but, it is what it is. We took the bike to the dealer and they tore all the covers off and determined the issue is deep within the transmission and the engine will need to be taken apart to find the cause. Labor is $2400 and the parts can be anywhere from $800 to $1600 bucks. Even without replacing any transmission components, it is easily $600 parts when you consider all of the gaskets, oil and tuning when they out the whole thing back together. So, I’m looking at anywhere from $3600 to $4000 to fix. This all without knowing the true extent of the damage until the motor is out. I have found several low mileage used engines on eBay from $1200 to $1900. The dealer said they would charge $700 for the swap, plus parts. So, looking at $1000 in labor. With all said and done, it would be roughly $3000 for the engine swap.

My question for community is, do I need to purchase a 2014 engine? Or will other model years work as well. Any recommendations or thoughts from you all?

I love this bike. Its worth 10K in working order, so I need to get it fixed. Just looking for some direction from fellow FJR owners.

Thanks for your time,

Michael.

That sucks.

I developed the second gear dog slip at 20k. It is at the Yamaha dealer now and it is getting stripped down and will be repaired under YES (hoping I don't get push back from Yamaha, but I'm prepared to push hard and seek action to compel or recover damages if Yamaha doesn't come good, as this bike has not been abused). It's now been there a month, so I feel your pain.

It is surely worth fixing, but honestly I think your valuation of 10k is probably high unless really, really well-farkled. 14s and 15s routinely come up at 8k give or take with lower miles. Of course, that is still a long way from 4k, and farther from what you are talking about with a used engine.

I'm mostly guessing here, but the 13, 14, 15 are identical in looks and function, aside from the cruise control governor on the 13. Any of them should work, but I'd want concurrence before I pulled the trigger. Heck, I suspect a 16+ would also connect just fine, but the transmission is a little different so it's possible it fits differently.

Sorry to hear it, though. That is not an issue I've heard of (unlike the 2nd gear dog issue).

Have you considered testing into it yourself? There is a recent thread here with video written by a guy with limited mechanical knowledge that took on the task. Also, I suspect you could get at least something for your old engine if you tried to sell it as is with a disclosure of the defect. That might help mitigate the costs. Of course, you could also get the replacement installed, and then tear into the original on your own anyway, to see how burdensome it would be to repair.

Keep us updated on the progress, if you don't mind. I'm curious to see how you make out.

A good, low-mile used engine is probably your best bet. If you're not inclined to perform the repairs yourself, then dealer shop labor alone [which you've seen] will eat you alive when splitting cases. I'd hunt for the lowest mileage '13 - '15 engine you can find.

There are several threads here and a great thread on the 'Riders forum that details splitting the cases and transmission repairs. All of them are filled with great information and are good reads.

Good luck!

~G

bruinFJRguy posted:
That sucks.

I developed the second gear dog slip at 20k. It is at the Yamaha dealer now and it is getting stripped down and will be repaired under YES (hoping I don't get push back from Yamaha, but I'm prepared to push hard and seek action to compel or recover damages if Yamaha doesn't come good, as this bike has not been abused). It's now been there a month, so I feel your pain.
Just got mine back from the local dealer, who also repaired my second gear dog slip under YES warranty. (After 72,000 miles, however.) Took them a month, most of that time wrangling with Momma Yama that it should be a YES repair.

To the OP: if you haven't pushed the dealer to fix it under warranty or YES, do it. Be firm, and cite what you've read "on FJR-specific internet forums". You, me, and bruinFJRguy are not the only ones who have suffered this problem.

That said, I expect to put another 30,000 on her (two years) before looking for a replacement. If I don't put 100,000 miles on this bike, it will be my own failure. The shift "clunk" is gone. The transmission is so smooth, I have to check the dashboard display sometimes to ensure the bike shifted into first or second gear!

I'm sorry this is happening. There have been some documented transmission issues with all versions of the FJR, but it's not extremely common.

A few points of clarification:

1. Just by "pulling off covers", they are not able to determine what exactly is wrong, or even offer an estimate to the extent they have. To examine the transmission, it has to be disassembled at least to the point where the cases are split. I'm stating this because it is possible that the only problem is a couple of shift forks, and those, while very labor intensive, certainly do NOT cost anywhere near $800,.00, even with the motor gasket set. Buyer beware.

2. There will be no "tuning" required after the motor is back together. There is nothing to "tune". They do not have to synchronize the throttle bodies as these come off as a rack. They either put new spark plugs in or they do not. Same with the air filter. Otherwise, there is nothing to do - plug in the wiring harness connectors and start it.

3. I'm glad that you love the bike - we have that in common. I love my '14A as well. But it's NOT worth $10K in ANY condition. The value of these bikes has fallen off considerably. The "blue book" is out of the window. Your bike (and mine) is worth MAYBE $7,000.00, and likely about $6,500.00. I'm not proud of it - I just want you to be realistic.

4. I'm confident that a used motor from either '14 or '15 will be a direct swap. I'm 90% confident that a '13 motor would also work because the only difference I'm aware of is the ECU for the '13 limits the cruise control to 82 mph instead of 102 mph. But that in of itself should not make a difference with the motor. The '06-'12 motors will have a different wiring harness, so that is going to be much more challenging. Same for the '03-'05. The '16-'19 motor is much different - different clutch, different transmission. It may still fit in the chassis, but I can't write intelligently about it.

If I had your problem, I'm not sure what I would do. Right here, right now, I'd probably buy another bike. There's a '14 on the forum with known history for sale (80K miles) that you can get for $6K. Keeping your damaged bike would give you practically a complete parts bike for future issues, if that's an option. Just for things like "oopsies", the plastics and the front stay, etc would be valuable.

Still, I dunno - that might be throwing good money after bad....

it's a chicken shit situation, to be sure.

bruinFJRguy posted:
That sucks.

Just got mine back from the local dealer, who also repaired my second gear dog slip under YES warranty. (After 72,000 miles, however.) Took them a month, most of that time wrangling with Momma Yama that it should be a YES repair.

To the OP: if you haven't pushed the dealer to fix it under warranty or YES, do it. Be firm, and cite what you've read "on FJR-specific internet forums". You, me, and bruinFJRguy are not the only ones who have suffered this problem.
My second gear dogs probably have as much wear at 20k as yours do at 70k, do to low speed lane splitting in LA and a lot of shifts between first and second and first. Still, it shouldn't have happened.

The first to second shift has also been a touch harsh on this bike. I've wondered if they added 6th not because of customer expectations or wants, like in have heard claimed, but instead because the engine could really use another gear down low (rather than up high).

.... I've wondered if they added 6th not because of customer expectations or wants, like in have heard claimed, but instead because the engine could really use another gear down low (rather than up high).
1st, 2nd and 3rd ratios are very similar, the only significant difference is in the upper gears.
Try these two links: Gen 2 and Gen 3/4.

Michael,

Unfortunately, hppants evaluation of FJR value is correct, it doesn't make your decision any easier.

I wonder if some of the SOCAL bretheren might be able to step up and help you change the engine out?

Easily doable over a weekend with the right group.

Last edited by a moderator:
.... I've wondered if they added 6th not because of customer expectations or wants, like in have heard claimed, but instead because the engine could really use another gear down low (rather than up high).
1st, 2nd and 3rd ratios are very similar, the only significant difference is in the upper gears.

Try these two links: Gen 2 and Gen 3/4.
Ah, thanks. Welp, there goes my theory. Lol :)

Michael,
Unfortunately, hppants evaluation of FJR value is correct, it doesn't make your decision any easier.

I wonder if some of the SOCAL bretheren might be able to step up and help you change the engine out?

Easily doable over a weekend with the right group.
I'm by no means confident I would be the cog that would make this venture a successful one; but I've got a pair of hands, I know how to turn a wrench, and I can handle changing oil, syncing a throttle body, and swapping brake pads. I'm game to lend a hand sometime after the end of Feb!

Thank you All!!!

This was all some great information. I think the swap of the engine is my best bet. I have found a few on ebay. Both with under 20K miles

17K $1400

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-YAMAHA-FJR1300-FJR-1300-COMPLETE-ENGINE-MOTOR-17k-miles/173459981792?hash=item28630545e0:g:ZdUAAOSw3GlcSuUy:rk:1:pf:1

7K $1800

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Yamaha-FJR1300A-ABS-ENGINE-MOTOR/292480935594?hash=item441938e6aa:g:xDUAAOSwOyJazQvm:rk:13:pf:0

I have done all my own work in the past. Oil, breaks, tires, carb calibration, but an engine swap is a little out of my wheelhouse I think.

Michael.

It's not that hard once you get over the fear and loathing. Pay close attention to detail, bag and tag all the parts and take tons of pictures from all angles. Then take some more. pay close attention to All wire and hose routing. Have fun.

I'm not a flea-bay expert, but it would appear that neither of these motors are up for auction. You might send a message to the 7K miles seller, reference the link to the other motor, and offer him/her $1,400.00 (or even less). I've done this before for other things and had good luck with it.

bruinFJRguy posted: My second gear dogs probably have as much wear at 20k as yours do at 70k, do to low speed lane splitting in LA and a lot of shifts between first and second and first. Still, it shouldn't have happened.
The first to second shift has also been a touch harsh on this bike. I've wondered if they added 6th not because of customer expectations or wants, like in have heard claimed, but instead because the engine could really use another gear down low (rather than up high).
About a third of my miles are in stop-and-go Atlanta traffic -- meaning stoplights and stop signs. I commute most days, and half that trip is on suburban arterials or Midtown streets. Lots and lots of 1-2-3-2-N shifting, slipping into first a few seconds before I get the green.

Much respect to y'all who split lanes; I don't have the nerves to do that.

Wish I could help, misphar, as I could use the experience.

bruinFJRguy posted: My second gear dogs probably have as much wear at 20k as yours do at 70k, do to low speed lane splitting in LA and a lot of shifts between first and second and first. Still, it shouldn't have happened.

About a third of my miles are in stop-and-go Atlanta traffic -- meaning stoplights and stop signs. I commute most days, and half that trip is on suburban arterials or Midtown streets. Lots and lots of 1-2-3-2-N shifting, slipping into first a few seconds before I get the green.

Much respect to y'all who split lanes; I don't have the nerves to do that.

Wish I could help, misphar, as I could use the experience.
I don't know. I'm just happy it's getting fixed.
smile.png

As for splitting, I suspect after an hour or so in basically stopped LA freeway traffic you'd be inclined to give it a go. If done cautiously, it is really not that unnerving. Plenty of people RIP around between cars like they are fixed objects; basically, the slower you navigate through the better. Like any riding, reaction time, risk avoidance, and planning an exit route are all helpful for accident aversion.

Of course, whether or not it is safe or "safer" is one of those debatable issues for which there is no possibility of consensus or complete resolution.
smile.png

Edit: Not that Atlanta traffic is not also bad. Haha. But it's definitely nice to have the ability to go past stopped cars. One of the things I do like about California. :)

I took an engine out and put it back in by myself. Same as a swap as everything was either removed or disconnected. The most challenging part was getting the engine up in the right position in the frame while mating with the drive shaft. Extra hands would have helped. Send me the old engine. I want to rebuild a transmission!

When I retire, I'm going to ride to Bob's or Ray's or FJRay's and solicit myself to be a mechanic's helper for one of these motor rebuilds. Doesn't have to be an FJR, although that would be cool. I want to learn how to do more than change parts.