Compatibility subframe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukas13110

Reaction score
Good morning, I would like to know if the subframe of the saddle of an FJR is the same from 2006 up to the current models.

... ok, so if I want to buy a subframe for my 2015 I can also buy and mount, for example, a 2008 subframe?
That is my understanding.

The blue Gen 3 has a black rear subframe (at least in the UK), so that might be something to watch out for if yours has a black subframe. I believe all other Gen 3 colours and all Gen 2s have a silver subframe.

There are differences in ancillaries such as the passenger footpeg hangers, but their mounting is the same. Several peops here have mounted Gen 3 suspension to Gen 2, so there's no change there. The rear LED lights on the Gen 3 are mounted the same.

I don't believe there are any other differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
... ok, so if I want to buy a subframe for my 2015 I can also buy and mount, for example, a 2008 subframe?

The blue Gen 3 has a black rear subframe (at least in the UK), so that might be something to watch out for if yours has a black subframe. I believe all other Gen 3 colours and all Gen 2s have a silver subframe.

There are differences in ancillaries such as the passenger footpeg hangers, but their mounting is the same. Several peops here have mounted Gen 3 suspension to Gen 2, so there's no change there. The rear LED lights on the Gen 3 are mounted the same.

my 2015 has a silver sub-frame. I hope there are no differences ..

my 2015 has a silver sub-frame. I hope there are no differences ..
.... I've never seen a black sub-frame ...

2018_FJR1300AS_colours.gif

Just keep in mind there are some minor differences between the regular ones and YCCS equipped bikes in the subframe.

Just keep in mind there are some minor differences between the regular ones and YCCS equipped bikes in the subframe.
so are you telling me that if I disassemble my sub-frame and replace it with a sub-frame of a previous model, I might have differences? Sorry but I don't understand. I only want to understand if there is someone who has a precise answer. Is it replaceable or not?

so are you telling me that if I disassemble my sub-frame and replace it with a sub-frame of a previous model, I might have differences? Sorry but I don't understand. I only want to understand if there is someone who has a precise answer. Is it replaceable or not?
I would be checking part numbers. If it's the same it'll work, if not then not. How frikkin hard can it be?

I would be checking part numbers. If it's the same it'll work, if not then not. How frikkin hard can it be?
lukas13110 - The YCCS issue is a different bike model! If it has the auto clutch, there may be significant subframe differences.

With respect to part numbers, there are sometimes differences in part numbers between model years (especially "generations") even though the parts may be identical. Sometimes there are changes that are essentially indistinguishable - perhaps (in the case of shocks) built by a different supplier. Finally, there are part number changes as a function of color if it is a painted item. For color, you can't make any assumptions based upon model year as different markets have different color options. What is "standard" for a 2015 ES model In the USA might not apply to a bike in the European market.

I certainly wouldn't make a guarantee of compatibility between specific model years unless the part number was identical but pretty good chance you would be OK. Look up parts fiches from suppliers in your market.

lukas13110 - The YCCS issue is a different bike model! If it has the auto clutch, there may be significant subframe differences.

With respect to part numbers, there are sometimes differences in part numbers between model years (especially "generations") even though the parts may be identical. Sometimes there are changes that are essentially indistinguishable - perhaps (in the case of shocks) built by a different supplier. Finally, there are part number changes as a function of color if it is a painted item. For color, you can't make any assumptions based upon model year as different markets have different color options. What is "standard" for a 2015 ES model In the USA might not apply to a bike in the European market.

I certainly wouldn't make a guarantee of compatibility between specific model years unless the part number was identical but pretty good chance you would be OK. Look up parts fiches from suppliers in your market.
https://www.bike-parts-yam.it/yamah...BS/FJR1300A/TELAIO/13_1314-1314/B21/0/4092%C23P6211900100

https://www.bike-parts-yam.it/yamah...JR1300A/TELAIO/2014_69728-69728/21/0/46728%C23P62119001

the difference between the serial numbers is given by the two zeros at the end ...

I can't find that post now but when exploring that issue a couple years ago I found a thread where a guy made that mistake. There is some additional piece (bracket or something) related with one of the YCCS components on the subframe. It is needed for the YCCS, I cannot remember now if the YCCS subframe will fit the regular clutch bike. Or maybe there was some additional opening somewhere to make space for one of the YCCS components?

The point of my post was to bring up that they are not the same and when buying the subframe you need to watch for it.

I just ordered a sub frame for a 2009 AE from yamahapartshouse (Babbitt) and I believe the part number is the same as for 2012, maybe others. I guess I'll know if it fits in a few days.....