Miles, miles and 'mo miles.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Warchild,
Is that a slipon or a full header setup that you went with on the Busa? Any tuning and/or powercommander required for it?

How loud is it?

What were the various ones that you researched and what made you finally choose that one?

Many thanks,

Mark
That is a Yoshimura 4-2-1 R-77 Carbon Fiber exhaust system.

In a rare show of engineering prowess, the Yosh setup is so perfect out of the box, many reputable tuners acknowledge that this system does not substantially benefit from a PC-III the way most full systems do... the full systems adds about 6-8 horsepower, but a PC-III on top of that only adds a whopping 2 hp.

The canister is shipped with the noise baffle installed in the pipe. It is a deeper tone that stock (obviously), but is still amazingly quiet. If you remove the baffle, the tone is significantly deeper (it "growls" more), but it is still not obtrusive. As with most pipes, once the packing starts to wear away, you hear the pipe more.

I researched a bunch of systems.... but my goals were different from many: I just wanted to dump the massive weight and hideous looks of the stock bazooka mufflers. Wasn't all that concerned about increasing horsepower... with 173 hp at the rear wheel (bone stock), I am not exactly hurting to move the bike down the road. The whole stock exhaust systems weight 52 lbs... this entire Yosh 4-2-1 setup is 14lbs, total.

Hey Warchild,
Is that a slipon or a full header setup that you went with on the Busa? Any tuning and/or powercommander required for it?

How loud is it?

What were the various ones that you researched and what made you finally choose that one?

Many thanks,

Mark
That is a Yoshimura 4-2-1 R-77 Carbon Fiber exhaust system.

In a rare show of engineering prowess, the Yosh setup is so perfect out of the box, many reputable tuners acknowledge that this system does not substantially benefit from a PC-III the way most full systems do... the full systems adds about 6-8 horsepower, but a PC-III on top of that only adds a whopping 2 hp.

The canister is shipped with the noise baffle installed in the pipe. It is a deeper tone that stock (obviously), but is still amazingly quiet. If you remove the baffle, the tone is significantly deeper (it "growls" more), but it is still not obtrusive. As with most pipes, once the packing starts to wear away, you hear the pipe more.

I researched a bunch of systems.... but my goals were different from many: I just wanted to dump the massive weight and hideous looks of the stock bazooka mufflers. Wasn't all that concerned about increasing horsepower... with 173 hp at the rear wheel (bone stock), I am not exactly hurting to move the bike down the road. The whole stock exhaust systems weight 52 lbs... this entire Yosh 4-2-1 setup is 14lbs, total.
Many thanks for the additional information. That is exactly what I am looking for.

Those weight savings are huge. The weight savings alone justify the exhaust as long as the sound volume does not crank up much. That is my number one complaint about most systems. And, personally, I would just assume not fool with the PC-III if it can be avoided.

I noticed that you did the seat on your bike. Any change to the bars or pegs? Back to back seating between the ZX-14 and the Busa seems to indicate to me that the Busa has a good bit more agressive seating with much more weight on the hands/arms.

There is no doubt that the Busa has an edge in power and handling over the ZX-14, however, but most feel that the brakes and comfort are lacking. It seems like you have those issues solved in your quest for LD riding. Frankly, I would just assume have the Busa with those concerns addressed.

I am still on the fence with regards to which bike I would prefer, however, I sway more and more towards the Busa after following your adventures.

Many thanks for the input..

Mark

Hey Big Guy!

Thanks for the tip on those racks by Cycleventure. They make a chrome sports rack for the ZX-14. I'm heading to their office tomorrow to get them put on. I'll also check out whatever else they have.

Anything you want me to ask them or check out while I'm there?

Latest posts