Avant CFR 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John,

I was also planning a 2 day run out to CFR. Looks like we are going the same roads at the same time. Wanna ride together? I'll split you on a motel room.

Mike

John and Mike.............when are you guys thinking of leaving??? Sunday???
We're planning on leaving Sunday for the two day ride.

Aside from that, I'll be looking to share with someone at the rally. Mike is sharing with Scott at the rally.
Need a temporary roomate??

Hmmmm.......have to re-think my trip. I had planned on a one day push on Monday.....but I will see if I can leave on the Sunday instead. I am only planning on staying one night (Monday) at CFR. I have to leave Tuesday night (after the Lobster broil) as I need to be at work Thursday. I could save the one day push for Wednesday and enjoy the scenery on the way out. I like your route out. How about a ride up Mt Washington??? You guys mind another tag along????

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing for those coming through New Hampshire on the weekend before CFR, that is also the second weekend of the "Loudon Classic" up in the Laconia area. Be prepared to encounter large packs of roaming Hardley Ablesons as they converge on the state of NH for the whole week. This weekend is the actual bike races in Loudon.

They are generally the heaviest around the big lake (Winnipesaukee) but you'll encounter them out on the Kank and any other popular areas of the state, including Mt Washington.

I'm still planning on hitting Bear Notch Rd and Hurricane Mt Rd, and then staying in Western, ME up through Evans Notch on our ride up to Rangeley on Sunday.

Hi John,

I was also planning a 2 day run out to CFR. Looks like we are going the same roads at the same time. Wanna ride together? I'll split you on a motel room.

Mike

Aside from that, I'll be looking to share with someone at the rally. Mike is sharing with Scott at the rally.

Hmmmm.......have to re-think my trip. I had planned on a one day push on Monday.....but I will see if I can leave on the Sunday instead. I am only planning on staying one night (Monday) at CFR. I have to leave Tuesday night (after the Lobster broil) as I need to be at work Thursday. I could save the one day push for Wednesday and enjoy the scenery on the way out. I like your route out. How about a ride up Mt Washington??? You guys mind another tag along????

That's ok by me. Yes to Mt Washington(assuming there aren't too many HD's making it a slow trip.

Hi John,

Mike

If you want to ride with us that's ok with me too.

If you want to share a room for the one night (Monday night at the rally) that's good too, but don't blame me if I force feed you whiskey and beer Tuesday to get you to stay another day. BTW what's your boss's phone number? :devil:

The two day ride to get to the rally will mean putting in two twelve hour days to get there, and at a fairly brisk pace. We would really have to hustle to squeeze in Mt. Washington as well, and would probably need to allow three extra hours to do that, and that is if all the chrome turtles don't hold us up too much.

If you want to ride with us that's ok with me too.

If you want to share a room for the one night (Monday night at the rally) that's good too, but don't blame me if I force feed you whiskey and beer Tuesday to get you to stay another day. BTW what's your boss's phone number? :devil:

The two day ride to get to the rally will mean putting in two twelve hour days to get there, and at a fairly brisk pace. We would really have to hustle to squeeze in Mt. Washington as well, and would probably need to allow three extra hours to do that, and that is if all the chrome turtles don't hold us up too much.
I'll PM you about accommodations.

As far as Mt. Washington goes..........I think it would be best saved for Monday.

Here's what I researched...It's a 10.25 hour (actual ride time) ride to St. Johnsbury VT(from Clappisons corners in Waterdown) through the Adirondack state park. Stay the night there. Adding a lunch stop and breaks would give the ride about 12 hours total travel time. (you could knock an hour off that time if you ride up across the bottom of Montreal and came in from the north.....but the scenery wouldn't be as nice)

Sunday

From there to Mt. Washington you are looking at just under 1.5 hours

Monday Leg 1

Mt. Washington auto road opens at 7:30 a.m at that time of year ($15 for MC) and heading up early in the morning would potentially eliminate not only the HD's, but the majority of the crowd. If you rise early to be there before 8, I think you could be down by 9:30 at the latest I would think.

Mt. washington auto road

MT Washington site

From Mt. Washington to CFR is only another 6.25 hours of actual ride time. I would guesstimate arrival at CFR to be just before the dinner hour.

Monday Leg 2

Not sure if this appeals to you guys or not, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Alrighty-Roo Kiddos, the last part of the BEFORE of The Stanley Boys arrival is now in place! Just spoke to Kelli at The Silverwood Motel and confirmed with our Credit Card, Confirmation XXX21.

And, we added Sunday night June 19 to our Silverwood stay; Miss Kelli is trying to arrange a Suite for Seth and I. Kelli wants these Credit Card #'s very soon!

POSTSCRIPT: I always have known that Canadian gals are hot and I have known forever and a day that Nurses are even hotter. I went to Mary Ellen's original website and clicked on her link for the Silverwood. It now takes you directly to the Kama Sutra! All your Papa Chuy can say is: Hubba, hubba, hubba, hubba, hubba and hubba!

If you want Silverwood's toll free number (which I was originally looking for!) it is 1-800-930-4667. If you want some Kama Sutra and MEM, just click 1st link in Post #1!

https://www.fjrforum....pic=134532&st=0
All the Silverwood info is on the CFR Website here!

...RD's are illegal in Canada's more restrictive provinces so I don't have one :-( ...
Ummm... fixed it for ya Matt!
wink.gif

No one at the border is going to care about a Radar detector in your saddle bags. And I've never heard of a US person coming into Canada getting searched unless they are suspected of bringing in drugs. Canadian Border is primarily concerned with dinging Canadians with duty and tax.

For the record, CBSA is primarily concerned with guns, illegal drugs and large quantities of cash (usually proceeds of/for crime.) The tax and duty thing, when they bother to collect it, is just a bonus for the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency.)

Feel free to bring your RD if you want to use it during your travels to/from Canada... but leave the guns at home!
wink.gif

In the group rides it'll be the ride leader that gets all the awards. Thanks for the suggestions. ;)
As maddad pointed out, here in Canuckistan the police are more easy going. They'll gladly split a ticket 10 or 15 ways

You know I'm just playin' with ya :p
Don't know how much "playin'" MEM is doin', but in my neck of the woods, they can and will ticket each and every rider in a group! The leader, or the sweeper in some cases, will get the ticket based on 'measured' speed, and the rest will get tickets based on 'estimated' speed. (Don't ask me how I know this!
rolleyes.gif
)

Either way, the RD does little for you in a group... or in the Atlantic Provinces.
wink.gif

Hey maddad! you a poh-leece man or sumthin' ? I'm sure there are lots of people getting searched and having stuff confiscated that I never hear of :blink:

As far as LEOs being more easy going here than in the US, thankfully, I can't speak to that.
No MEM, no popo in this boy. No lack of respect for them either, they just have better things to do then be concerned with a radar detector in your bag.

As for police being more easy here in Canada. Absolutely. You really have to be doing a number in NB to end up behind bars for speeding and you don't get a gun pulled on you in Canada for having a bit of a spirited ride. And I can speak to that on both sides of the border!

Of course that's because the NB police also don't expect anyone to be caring a gun. So as Jeff says, the gun definetly needs to stay home. But that probably goes without saying. Just say'n.

Well, I can't leave until Monday morning to head over to CFR. Managed to convince a buddy of mine to ride out with me (rides a Beemer) so we're going to run an SS1000 on the way out. Here is the route SS1000

Leaving just before 6. Does anyone on the east cost know of any traffic problems along the 95 from Boston through Maine?? We plan on stopping at the Kennebunk rest area at around the 5:30 mark. Do I stay on the 95 around Portland or head straight through on the 295?? Thanks in advance.

Mattster

Well, I can't leave until Monday morning to head over to CFR. Managed to convince a buddy of mine to ride out with me (rides a Beemer) so we're going to run an SS1000 on the way out. Here is the route SS1000

Leaving just before 6. Does anyone on the east cost know of any traffic problems along the 95 from Boston through Maine?? We plan on stopping at the Kennebunk rest area at around the 5:30 mark. Do I stay on the 95 around Portland or head straight through on the 295?? Thanks in advance.

Mattster
I have done some riding in that area although I probably don't know it as well as some. You will encounter some traffic in the Portland area but might be at least as bad on the 295 as far as Brunswick. You might consider doing I95 all the way around - just a few more KM and you might avoid some crap.

Hope you are lucky at border crossings. Not usually a problem but you may find yourseld "invited in" for a discussion that could blow the schedule.

Final preps underway for the long trek to CFR. I THINK I'm leaving Calgary on Sunday (29 May), and getting there via California (need to ride in to Russell to have the seat adjusted) and a few other places... 30-odd states and provinces at last count.

I'll fire up a "Canucklehead World Tour" thread and try to post up along the way.

Griff

If anyone needs a bed\floor in Ottawa as they are passing through PM me.

Should be dry as we have the roof on.

Cottage is booked though so space is limited

Chris

Here is how things are shaping up for The Stanley Boys, ala Avant CFR 2011: 1) yamafitter - Bill F. and Papa Chuy are meeting up at Willsboro, New York on Friday evening 6/17. 2) We pick up my Son Seth from his Mom Jean at 07:30 on Saturday 6/18. 3) We meet up with Seth's Aunt Julie and Uncle John at Ashland, New Hampshire for lunch around Noon. They are attending Laconia Bike Week with Harley-Davidson friends. 4) The three of us are spending the night in Bangor, Maine. 5) Next morning Sunday 6/19 we roll into Freddy Beach, NB and check in with Rally Mistress MEM.

4) The three of us are spending the night in Bangor, Maine. 5) Next morning Sunday 6/19 we roll into Freddy Beach, NB and check in with Rally Mistress MEM.
Don,

A few of us will be overnighting on Saturday PM in Rangeley Maine, and then Sunday AM the plan is to head for the border crossing over in Calais, ME / St Stephens, NB. Rally Mistress MEM (don't get all worked up, there are no whips or chains involved) will meet up with us in St Stephens at around 1PM for a little guided coastal New Brunswick tour on up to Freddy Town. I think that is the bestest route from Bangor (up Rte 9) anyway so maybe you could just have a bigger breakfast and delay your departure from Bangor to coincide.

I'm sure that Maryellen will be along soon with more exacting details on time and place for the rendezvous.

You'd think that wit' da place being named after me and all, I'd get a key to the city or sumpthin'? :huh:

I'll be sure to wear my Bruins jersey so they'll know who they are dealin' with! :p

4) The three of us are spending the night in Bangor, Maine. 5) Next morning Sunday 6/19 we roll into Freddy Beach, NB and check in with Rally Mistress MEM.
Don,

Rally Mistress MEM (don't get all worked up, there are no whips or chains involved)...
You have got to be kidding me, Fred! Are you serious Bro'? No whips or chains from Madame Mary Ellen is even worse news than hearing no Polar Bears from Jeff C.!!!

I think that is the bestest route from Bangor (up Rte 9) anyway so maybe you could just have a bigger breakfast and delay your departure from Bangor to coincide.
I'm sure that Maryellen will be along soon with more exacting details on time and place for the rendezvous.
Rte 9 is a great ride - good road, reasonably scenic and not made pokey by a lot of little towns and villages :p

Don and his posse will be in Fredericton on Sunday and have most of the day to regroup before we head out on Monday to meet you. OUR plan is to ride down Rte 3 to St Stephen (with a good view of rural New Brunswick on the way ;) )to meet y'all and then we all ride over to St Andrews on Rte 1. Do a ride-through there and then head back out to Rte 1 via Chamcook / Bocabec (127, I think) to Ossies for a late lunch. Keep in mind that you lose an hour entering Canada so the earlier you get to St Stephen, the sooner we eat lunch :D

Also, coming up Route 9, there's a traffic circle a few miles south of Calais where you may choose the New Border Crossing or stay the course and use the Old Border Crossing at Calais. There IS a duty-free store in Calais. I don't know what's at the New crossing in that regard but I'll find out.

Fair amount of slab (rte 1) after Ossies and then we'll hit 102 through Public Landing, Oak Bay and Gagetown to Freddy Beach. Beautiful ride, that :rolleyes:

Latest posts