Avant CFR 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh crap. What a doofus. I'm off by a whole day!! :huh:

Yeah never mind that whole post (except for the whips and chains)

We'll be meeting you Monday at 1. I guess I'm just a little anxious...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh crap. What a doofus. I'm off by a whole day!! :huh:

Yeah never mind that whole post (except for the whips and chains)

We'll be meeting you Monday at 1. I guess I'm just a little anxious...
No worries Fred W, I am solidly senile myself.

At least we are not as ugly as RadioHowie is!

Just a note from BeemerDonS, Son Seth and Bill F. - yamafitter: The three of us will be departing from Champlain Vistas, 3295 Esses Road, Willsboro, NY 12966 at 0800 hours on Saturday, June 18; if anyone wants to join up with us on the ride to CFR.

We need to stop at Noon in Ashland, New Hampshire for lunch with Seth's Aunt Julie and Uncle John; they are attending Laconia Bike Week. yamafitter is planning for us to overnight on Saturday in Bangor, Maine. Bill F. is the routing genius for this.

Portland isn't quite as bad traffic wise, but you may have to slow down some as the turnpike goes through the city. Your route shown is the best one, staying on the turnpike thru Portland, then take the Falmouth spur connector over to I295.

His route thru there is on the Maine turnpike. That doesn't get jammed up except the toll booths during rush hour and weekends. Speed Pass is your friend.

Just to clarify: it's I-295 that goes through the city. It is not a toll road. We here don't consider the turnpike (I-95) a city road.

About the only thing you would save by taking the Falmouth spur over to 295 North is a small amount of tolls. Turnpike is the way to go for your intended purpose. 295 tends to be very busy with city commuters, and you end up in the same area, Augusta, as the turnpike.

To anyone who is interested... I'm leaving Ontario some time Sat morning the 18th. Crossing into NY at Kingston ON. Then it's meandering time.No hurry. No rush. So if you catch up to me or pass me or see me but avoid me I'm cool with any of it. I'll watch out for any of you. I might even wave. See you in Freddie!!!

Rob

To anyone who is interested... I'm leaving Ontario some time Sat morning the 18th. Crossing into NY at Kingston ON. Then it's meandering time.No hurry. No rush. So if you catch up to me or pass me or see me but avoid me I'm cool with any of it. I'll watch out for any of you. I might even wave. See you in Freddie!!!

Rob
There'll be a gang coming from Rangely, Maine, on Monday. Don, Seth and I are meeting them in St Stephen on Monday to ride over to St Andrews and then to Ossies for a LATE lunch.

Or are you planning on arriving in Freddy on Sunday ? In which case, I'll give y'all the 50-cent tour of my little burgh and we'll have a nice dinner downtown.

The Silverwood is about miles from the City.

Let me know ?

ME

I have no concrete plans. If I make it on Sunday I'll look for you. Otherwise I'll see you on Monday.

Rob

Rob
Buenos días mi querido Amigo Roberto,

Que tal? I dug out mi la Mapa to see exactly where Lindsay and Kingston were in relation to Neuvo York Estado. It sure appears to me that you are right on a route that coincides with the route that yamafitter - Bill F. is leading us on to Maine and on to Freddy Beach.

Effective Thursday 6/16 Verizon Wireless is switching my cellphone to an International Plan: Call me at 480-440-4666 and we can further coordinate. My calling plan will be toll free in either Estados Unidos or Canuckistan, so if yours is not, I can call you instead.

Bill, Seth and Papa are departing Willsboro, NY at 0800; this is on the western shore of Lake Champlain, across from Charlotte. We take the ferry across the lake and will ride Highway 25 eastbound. We are meeting Seth's Aunt Julie and Uncle John in Ashland, New Hampshire for lunch at Noon. They are both H-D riders and are attending Laconia Bike Week. I should know the name and address of the rendezvous restaurant by 6/16.

yamafitter is The Brains of our travel routing and he has us planned to spend Saturday night June 18 in Bangor, ME. On Sunday he has selected a scenic and twisty route that will lead us into Fredericton at an early hour. Mary Ellen has already informed us she wanted to take us out on a late afternoon and early evening tour of the local sights.

If any of this works for you we would love riding along with you. I'll be packing my laptop along with me, so I can also be reached at [email protected] I leave The Valley of the Blast Furnace - Phoenix this Monday, June 13 at 0600 hours eastbound.

Saludos y Recuerdos mi Compadre,

Papa Chuy Viejo - Senor Medina

Hey Rob,

I plan on leaving Saturday as well, but have no concrete plans for Saturday yet (am about to start whatever I'll call my planning for this trip).

I'm staying in Rangely the Sunday night and heading down with that gang.

PM me your number and perhaps we can tie together a run through the Adirondacks

Cheers, Ian

Rob

OK time for some early CFR planning. :rolleyes:

Thought I might amble down to Rangeley Maine on Sunday and join FredW and the MEM parade next day if that's all right.

There! Planning all done /looks up Rangeley

For those planning on riding from Rangeley, ME to St Stephen, NB on Monday AM, we will be getting on the road bright and early, kickstands up at 7AM, and then stopping for some breakfast somewhere along the way.

Mapsource tells me that it's about 5 hours of saddle time to St Stephen (and it is usually pretty accurate), so with a quick breakfast and the border cross we should roll in there at around 1PM Eastern time (2 PM Atlantic)

The route is really nothing fancy, just east on Rte 16 as far as Lagrange, then Rte 6 to Topsfield, then Rte 1 south to the border cross at Calais. MEM said she would meet us just after the border somewhere.

Looks like this: Clicky

PS - Just made the mistake of checking the Fredericton 10 day weather forecast. Does it ever do anything but rain up there? :(

...PS - Just made the mistake of checking the Fredericton 10 day weather forecast. Does it ever do anything but rain up there? :(
I just checked "Accuweather" for June 19, 20 and its looking OK to me. 21st and 22nd not so good. The forecast for the CFR dates has flopped from good to so-so to awful and back again at least a half dozen times so I don't think there's any point in panicking - yet.

I'm far more concerned about the state of my leaking Penske shock. Hope I can get something done with it in the next week. Not really anyone local that I know could fix it properly!

Ross

For those planning on riding from Rangeley, ME to St Stephen, NB on Monday AM, we will be getting on the road bright and early, kickstands up at 7AM, and then stopping for some breakfast somewhere along the way.

Mapsource tells me that it's about 5 hours of saddle time to St Stephen (and it is usually pretty accurate), so with a quick breakfast and the border cross we should roll in there at around 1PM Eastern time (2 PM Atlantic)

The route is really nothing fancy, just east on Rte 16 as far as Lagrange, then Rte 6 to Topsfield, then Rte 1 south to the border cross at Calais. MEM said she would meet us just after the border somewhere.

Looks like this: Clicky

PS - Just made the mistake of checking the Fredericton 10 day weather forecast. Does it ever do anything but rain up there? :(
Hey Fred! I know 16's a very beautiful route and IIRC, little in the way of towns/reduced speed limits. Did you look at 2 to Newport, slab to Brewer and then up rte 9 aka "the airline" . Google Maps clocks that at 4 hours, 30 minutes

IF we stick to Plan A, it'd be 3pm before we'd be at Ossies. Having said that, it's YOUR adventure and I'm sure I can find things to do for an extra hour or so in the morning ;) (prolly pizza for dinner - a la Freeport :D )

I just checked "Accuweather" for June 19, 20 and its looking OK to me. 21st and 22nd not so good. The forecast for the CFR dates has flopped from good to so-so to awful and back again at least a half dozen times so I don't think there's any point in panicking - yet.
"...I don't think there's any point in panicking - yet." :glare: What's to 'panic' about?! June weather is beautiful. The forecast is fine. I'm most concerned about the lobster boil since we're eating outside. And besides - beemerdons has a big room. If it rains, we'll just eat in there :p

I'm far more concerned about the state of my leaking Penske shock. Hope I can get something done with it in the next week. Not really anyone local that I know could fix it properly!

Ross
Um....put the stock shock back on ? :unsure:

"...I don't think there's any point in panicking - yet." :glare: What's to 'panic' about?! June weather is beautiful. The forecast is fine. I'm most concerned about the lobster boil since we're eating outside. And besides - beemerdons has a big room. If it rains, we'll just eat in there :p

Ross
Um....put the stock shock back on ? :unsure:
I have the stock shock but not sure whether I have all of the associated bits. When I bought the bike, the previous owner just handed me a box of "stuff" saying that there is no way I would ever want to use the old shock. If I can find the time today, I'll dig into it (and the service manual) to do a parts inventory and to see if there is anything I can do to get things back to running correctly. If not, I may have to park my bike with the Harleys.