May Run

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of advice -- hit the Kanc on Friday and stay the hell away from it on Saturday. We went to the open house a couple of years ago and discovered it falls on the same day as the annual Crank the Kanc bicycle race. Between all the riders headed for Whitehorse, the peddle pushers clogging up the shoulders, and all the regular traffic, you'll be crawling along at parade speeds.

Good advanced intel, Paul!! Or is that Gina? I can never tell since you two share the one account.

Maybe Gina should get her own forum account: Asphalt Junkette? :D

Perhaps they should skip the Kank altogether then, since the Canucks will only be rolling into Gorham on Fri. late afternoon.

Of course I could run it on the way up to Gorham on Friday. :p

Hey Al,

Couple of things.

First off, May can be kinda nippy in Pinkham notch, so bring your -20F sleepin' bag. But even more importantly, get your rez made early, as that is edging into the late part of the Tuckerman's ravine ski season. Many of those early spring weekends, the real adventure skiers will camp in the Pinkham notch and then make the hike up Tucks to get one (or two, if they are real animals) runs down the face of Tucks.

I haven't been up through Pinkham this winter (yet) but I would have to imagine that Al Gore's global warming has F*%$'ed up the snow in the ravine as much as anywhere else (that doesn't have snow guns). So you may very well be good to go.

Just want you to be fully prepped.

By the way, I want to publicly applaud your all-season camping ethics. If I wasn't such a total wussie I'd join you there. :p

Sounds like that Gypsy fella has received permission from his sweetie to join us on this little excursion south of the border. Shaping up to be a fun event.

Canadian FJR

Sounds like that Gypsy fella has received permission from his sweetie to join us on this little excursion south of the border. Shaping up to be a fun event.

Canadian FJR
Oh good. I have a chance of keeping up with Gypsy - I think :blink:

Dang it, I can't make it. The wife got us Godsmack tix for the 19th. Eh, it could of been worse, like work or something equally not-fun. I had never heard of Whitehorse before seeing this thread, so I signed up for the catalog, and really wanted to check this place out! I'm sure you guys will have a great time! That area has some of the best roads in N.E. 'cept for Fathers Day weekend. :angry2:

I'm sure it has been said before, but the White Horse people are great. Every day is an open house. Stop by and they will offer you a cup of hot coffee and let you wander around their warehouse. They also went out of their way to find us a room at the Merrill Farm Resort, as there was a fair in town that weekend and everything was booked up. It was a nice country type inn. I strongly recommend it.

+1

Any day is a good day to stop by White Horse Gear. They will not be the cheapest place to buy stuff, but they will have almost anything that you are looking for in stock and on the shelf. And they fully encourage you to wander around, take your time, and look and touch and try on anything you see. And they are also quite knowledgeable motorcyclists, who are more than willing to help you with your purchase decisions. There is a great deal of value in that.

I spent a good chunk of change on my heated gear there one day this past fall. They had every little piece that I wanted right on the shelf, even in the "hot season" for heated gear purchasing. :thumbsup:

After this long hard winter.

Being the weekend of March 17th-18th and temps in the 60’s I may just “test” the area this weekend. I called over to the Town and Country and they have room this weekend…

Any Nerds up for a pre-spring romp up to Gorham?

Well,

Although I was unable to organize a ride for this spring for chowda, I am in a better position now to host a September run for those who may be interested! but, that's another thread altogether....

So, to keep on topic, I am thinking that I will be able to make a one day ride up there on the 19th!! :yahoo: I might even be able to get up there the evening of the 18th and camp out with whoever is going to be staying outdoors!

Will have to ensure that this won't conflict with the maiden of the house or else will just have to get up extra early in the morning to make the trip.... no biggie!

D.O.L.

There are (were) 4 different threads you started that are essentially the same. Which do you want them all merged into? This one or the chowder run one?

D.O.L.

There are (were) 4 different threads you started that are essentially the same. Which do you want them all merged into? This one or the chowder run one?
Thanks for fixing it, it would be just the one Chowda Run..... Using dinosaurs for computers at work and probably a little impatience with them on my part! LOL

A slight change in plans. We are now booked at The Town & Country. https://www.townandcountryinn.com/contact.php

Arriving later on May 17th.

May 18th will be "On Tour" day

May 19th - off to Whitehorse and then start heading back north in the afternoon up Rt. 16

Canadian FJR
Reservations made at Town & Country . . . arriving the 17th & out on the 19th . . . and idea of where you're heading on "Tour Day"

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were planning a day ride loop from Gorham, I'd think about maybe something like this:

Start uout east on Rte 2 then head down Rte 113 through Evans' Notch to Hurricane Mountain road, then up 302 to Bartlett to run down Bear Notch Rd. From Passaconoway west across the Kank all the way to Vermont. Ride up through Groton State Forest on Rte 232, then head back east on wide open Rte 2. Take a short back road bypass of St Johnsbury and Rte 5 south to Barnet, cross back into NH and some back roads up to Littleton, hook up with Rte 3 to Twin Mountain, then rte 302 down through Crawford Notch. When you get back to Bartlett, you'd have to ride Bear Notch road again (darn!) and then ride the last bit of the Kank you missed in the morning. Just before Conway, get onto West Side road and take that up to the top of Cathedral Ledge for a nice lookie loo. After the photos ride up through Pinkham Notch past Mt Washington and back to Gorham.

That's be 285 miles and ~ 7 hours of quality saddle time.

(Click below image for full screen, interactive map in a new window)

(I have a GPS file of the above route if you think you might want to run this)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred That's a damn nice loop there! I'm trying to make Whitehorse that day work for us but save me a copy of that loop. Looks like a nice run for any late spring /summer sick day LOL

Fred That's a damn nice loop there! I'm trying to make Whitehorse that day work for us but save me a copy of that loop. Looks like a nice run for any late spring /summer sick day LOL

I hope both you and missus jag have sore throats and a dry, hacking cough on the 18th. You know...something that a nice dinner and some cold brews will cure :thumbsup:

We'll be at the Town and Country Inn on the 17th.