EOM '07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently registered for WFO and found that they are charging a 'Rally fee' at registration time. This fee covers t-shirts and dinnner and such. Since we had some trouble last yeat with people signing up for dinner but not showing up, I suggest that we consider advance payment for EOM events this year.

I know that the dinner situation was solved when a very generous anonymous attendee paid for the dinner, but it would be better if we avoided the situation altogether.

Perhaps the organizers could even re-use (plagiarize?) the web code that WFO is using.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that the dinner situation was solved when a very generous anonymous attendee paid for the dinner, but it would be better if we avoided the situation altogether.
What "dinner situation" was solved? Never saw it as a "situation" as I was fully prepared (and expecting) to pay for my own meal. Which is what made the anonymous gesture that much wore appreciated. (Hey, whoever you are... Thanx again!)

Perhaps the organizers could even re-use (plagiarize?) the web code that WFO is using.
The size of the events don't quite compare. If your thinking that it would be nice if the EOM was organized like the WFO I agree that would be great. But.... The WFO has a whole TEAM of people running that rally that have experience with events like this. And much of that web code requires somebody behind the scenes keeping an eye on things. Plus it has a far larger attendance base to make that level of rally organization and planning worthwhile. (But the EOM is getting there).

Speaking of which. What is the status on EOM? Has a hotel or anything been announced. I walked through as many pages in this thread as I have time for and a date's been picked but I haven't heard any hard info on the event (like the hotel info). (Note, I'm not trying to pester the organizer. I've organized the first CFR and I fully appreciate the time and effort these things take!) Just curious what the status is.

- Colin

What "dinner situation" was solved? Never saw it as a "situation" as I was fully prepared (and expecting) to pay for my own meal. Which is what made the anonymous gesture that much wore appreciated. (Hey, whoever you are... Thanx again!)

The size of the events don't quite compare. If your thinking that it would be nice if the EOM was organized like the WFO I agree that would be great. But.... The WFO has a whole TEAM of people running that rally that have experience with events like this. And much of that web code requires somebody behind the scenes keeping an eye on things. Plus it has a far larger attendance base to make that level of rally organization and planning worthwhile. (But the EOM is getting there).

(snip)
The dinner situation was the fact that some people signed up for dinner in advance and then left EOM before dinner happened. I don't know or care who they were or if they intended to pay at some later time, but it created a problem.

My comment about re-using the WFO code was an effort to save the organizers some work. However, that part of my post is not important. The point I was trying to make is that we should pay in advance, regardless of the mechanism being used.

I am not asking that EOM be organized like WFO. I am happy with the less formal event. I have no complaints about the way EOM was organized last year or the way it is coming along this year. I just saw something that seemed to work very well for WFO and though it might be helpful.

quote]

I was told it was Boofer (Craig) which does not surprise me one bit. He happens to be one of the nicest persons you will ever have the opportunity to meet in this life and that goes for his wife, Ann, also.

[What "dinner situation" was solved? Never saw it as a "situation" as I was fully prepared (and expecting) to pay for my own meal. Which is what made the anonymous gesture that much wore appreciated. (Hey, whoever you are... Thanx again!)
To be clear(er). As was mentioned before, there were several dinners that were going to be paid for because they were ordered and the orderers were not there to pay for them. This left our host, Slappy, in a bad "situation" and we were in the process of passing a "hat" around to ask everyone for a few $ to cover the "extra" dinner costs when a great benefactor stepped up covered every ones cost. ergo situation gone.

Thanks again to the great ghost :yahoo:

and I'll 2nd the motion for a pre dinner pay to avoid any stress on our hosts/hostesses?sp and allow the great ghost an opportunity to by farkles for us in stead :D

I also want to thank the person who paid for all our meals.

I think paying in advance is a good idea. What happens if

a bad storm hits, and everyone wants to leave a day in

advance? This way here the person or persons running the

EOM don't get stuck!

I also want to thank the person who paid for all our meals.I think paying in advance is a good idea. What happens if

a bad storm hits, and everyone wants to leave a day in

advance? This way here the person or persons running the

EOM don't get stuck!
+4

I just made reservations at the Super 8 in Lewisburg for Sept 14-17. Rates are reasonable and the place seems to be decent. Guess I'll find out in September, huh?

Greg, I don't require anything fancy but I stayed in a Super 8 once in R.I. and the place was down right seedy. I hope for your sake they are not all like that.

is the Super-8 THE official EOM hotel?

Super 8 Motel550 N Jefferson St, Lewisburg, WV

304-647-3188

'cause there looks to also be a hampton, Brier, sunset...... (see below)

1. Brier Inn540 N Jefferson St, Lewisburg, WV (0.12 miles away)304-645-7722
  2. Super 8 Motel550 N Jefferson St, Lewisburg, WV (0.13 miles away)304-647-3188
  3. Sunset Terrace MotelUS Highway 60 W, Lewisburg, WV (0.44 miles away)304-645-2363
  4. Lynn's Inn Bed & BreakfastRoute 219 N, Lewisburg, WV (0.44 miles away)304-645-2003
  5. Hampton Inn30 Coleman Dr, Lewisburg, WV (0.51 miles away)304-645-7300
  6. Days Inn635 N Jefferson St, Lewisburg, WV (0.59 miles away)304-645-2345
  7. Fort Savannah Inn204 N Jefferson St, Lewisburg, WV (1.00 miles away)304-645-3055
  8. General Lewis Inn301 E Washington St, Lewisburg, WV (1.09 miles away)304-645-2600
  9. Minnie Manor Bed & Breakfast403 E Washington St, Lewisburg, WV (1.10 miles away)304-647-4096
  10. Rodeway Inn107 W Fair St, Lewisburg, WV (2.76 miles away)304-645-7070

Greg, I don't require anything fancy but I stayed in a Super 8 once in R.I. and the place was down right seedy. I hope for your sake they are not all like that.
Online, on their website, it looks fine. I've stayed at a number of Super 8's and have had good luck. Not a 5-star by any means, but a nice place to rest the body.

-GSE-

Hey Greg, I just looked at the web site for the super 8 in Lewisburg and it's allot nicer than the one I stayed in in RI.I guess I spoke to soon. I was thinking of the Hampton Inn for $89 a night but the Super * looks pretty good at $61-$66 a night. I guess I'll wait till they announce the official hotel to make a res.

is the Super-8 THE official EOM hotel?

Super 8 Motel550 N Jefferson St, Lewisburg, WV

304-647-3188

'cause there looks to also be a hampton, Brier, sunset...... (see below)

1. Brier Inn540 N Jefferson St, Lewisburg, WV (0.12 miles away)304-645-7722
  2. Super 8 Motel550 N Jefferson St, Lewisburg, WV (0.13 miles away)304-647-3188
  3. Sunset Terrace MotelUS Highway 60 W, Lewisburg, WV (0.44 miles away)304-645-2363
  4. Lynn's Inn Bed & BreakfastRoute 219 N, Lewisburg, WV (0.44 miles away)304-645-2003
  5. Hampton Inn30 Coleman Dr, Lewisburg, WV (0.51 miles away)304-645-7300
  6. Days Inn635 N Jefferson St, Lewisburg, WV (0.59 miles away)304-645-2345
  7. Fort Savannah Inn204 N Jefferson St, Lewisburg, WV (1.00 miles away)304-645-3055
  8. General Lewis Inn301 E Washington St, Lewisburg, WV (1.09 miles away)304-645-2600
  9. Minnie Manor Bed & Breakfast403 E Washington St, Lewisburg, WV (1.10 miles away)304-647-4096
  10. Rodeway Inn107 W Fair St, Lewisburg, WV (2.76 miles away)304-645-7070
Rick, there were certain things that we were looking for in a host hotel. The Super 8 doesn't have what we were looking for. It was considered & weeded out mainly because they cannot handle the amount of people that we're planning for & there are no banquet/meeting facilities for our dinner & door prizes. Also, "outside the door" parking access was considered in our decision which Super 8 has none of.

There has been a decision made & the hotel is the Brier Inn. The decision was just made by Jim & me this morning. Brier Inn is the only game in town that has what we were looking for... & believe me, we looked. Everything else that would somewhat fit the bill was too expensive, in a different locale & didn't even have the FJR owner's luxury of parking right outside your room.

We wanted the Brier Inn from the very beginning. I talked to the GM & had no luck working anything reasonable out (Jim says it's because I don't speak Hillbillyese). Jim talked w/ the GM after me & came to an agreement with him that is satisfactory to us. So, please credit Jim with the score of the hotel.

The logistics need to be worked out b4 any formal announcement is made here on the forum. I'd appreciate it if the people planning to make reservations at the host hotel would wait until everything has been smoothed out & we make the announcement. There will also be an ample "rooms block" for all attendees to reserve their spot. Please relax, the hotel isn't going to fill up anytime soon. After all, the meet is over 7 months away.

We are also planning on putting an official site up for everyone with all associated information. If there is something that isn't in the site that you need to know, there are at least 2 of us to contact for answers.

Heidi

I just made reservations at the Super 8 in Lewisburg for Sept 14-17. Rates are reasonable and the place seems to be decent. Guess I'll find out in September, huh?

Greg, are you staying in WV an extra day? The meet dates are the 14, 15 & 16 (Friday Saturday, Sunday... leave Monday)

Actually, I'm probably going to arrive on the 13th (Thursday) myself & ride a full day on Friday instead of arriving on Friday.

Greg, are you staying in WV an extra day? The meet dates are the 14, 15 & 16 (Friday Saturday, Sunday... leave Monday)

Actually, I'm probably going to arrive on the 13th (Thursday) myself & ride a full day on Friday instead of arriving on Friday.
My plan (currently :p ) is to ride down Friday and Leave Monday. I may leave earlier to enable me to make a loop thru N/E Ohio to see inlaws. Too far out for now. I'm excited at the prospect of meeting a lot of the folks I've talked to and learned from on the forum.

I looked at the Inn before I investigated the Super 8. They appear to be next door to each other. If the deal y'all got is better than there, I can always cancel.

regards,

-GSE- :p