#21 AuburnFJR

AuburnFJR

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:30 AM

I would love to changes both my tires and also install 90 degree stems. Would it be better to take the wheels off and just bring them?

Either way, which ever works for you.

get out and ride! IBA #54706

cfr2009.gifwfo08.gif

#22 El Cajone

El Cajone

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'm in! Would like to do the valve check. I'll probably come down on Friday evening as usual so the bike will be good to go as soon as we start up in the morning.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
(Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down)

th_FJRPOIComplete.jpgth_dropfinal.gifth_CFR2009.jpggroundspider.jpg]

#23 AuburnFJR

AuburnFJR

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

I'm in! Would like to do the valve check. I'll probably come down on Friday evening as usual so the bike will be good to go as soon as we start up in the morning.

Got you down for it. Check with Panman if you are in doubt what parts to have on hand for the valve check. I do recommend changing the tensioner since we are in there purely as a maintenance thing.

cfr2009.gifwfo08.gif

#24 Panman

Panman

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

If you are just doing the valve check you don't need much, the valve cover gasket is a nice pliable rubber gasket and can be re-used I would just get the side cover O-RING (93210-32172-00) and the (2) water pipe O-RING's (93210-18417-00) and some plugs. I have a valve cover gasket in case something goes wrong.
If your going to do the CCT forget the side cover o-ring and get the Side Cover GASKET, (OIL PUMP COVER 5JW-15456-11-00), and one TENSIONER ASSY, CAM
5JW-12210-10-00 (replaces 5JW-12210-01-00) plus the one GASKET TENSIONER CA 5JW-12213-00-00.
For either job get three Qt's of the 50-50 antifreeze mix.
Any thing else anyone?
Remember half the fun is getting there, and the other half is getting back!

#25 El Cajone

El Cajone

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

If you are just doing the valve check you don't need much, the valve cover gasket is a nice pliable rubber gasket and can be re-used I would just get the side cover O-RING (93210-32172-00) and the (2) water pipe O-RING's (93210-18417-00) and some plugs. I have a valve cover gasket in case something goes wrong.
If your going to do the CCT forget the side cover o-ring and get the Side Cover GASKET, (OIL PUMP COVER 5JW-15456-11-00), and one TENSIONER ASSY, CAM
5JW-12210-10-00 (replaces 5JW-12210-01-00) plus the one GASKET TENSIONER CA 5JW-12213-00-00.
For either job get three Qt's of the 50-50 antifreeze mix.
Any thing else anyone?

Thanks, Kevin. I might as well do the tensioner too.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
(Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down)

th_FJRPOIComplete.jpgth_dropfinal.gifth_CFR2009.jpggroundspider.jpg]

#26 barb

barb

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Bike: 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

What's a tech meet?

Its when the ladies get together to share recipes. Right up your alley... *whistles*

No..No..you got it wrong it's tit meet that's when girls gather and compare bra's and pasties :rolleyes:

ok...kewl...LOL

#27 sportsguy

sportsguy

searchgeek - author

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

I would love to changes both my tires and also install 90 degree stems. Would it be better to take the wheels off and just bring them?

Just throwing this out there, but wouldn't taking the wheels off make it hard to ride the bike over...? #justsayin'... :D

I'm sorry, but I actually ride a Super Tenere now... ;)

#28 blufjr

blufjr

blufjr

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

Count me in. Not sure what I need to do as this year I am returning to the original 05 as my A bike. Maybe a new rear shock install.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R.- I am.

100K%2005CLUB.jpg 200Kx2-05-05%281%29.jpgdeerstrike1.jpg 369402052.jpg swfog-twitter-60px.png 2014BMR.jpg

#1 05 FJR abs: 143,331 miles. 2012 became Deer Slayer.  Now parts bike.

#2 05 FJR abs: 172,000 miles.  67K actual.  Composite of #1 & #2=Gold Wheels

2014 FZ-09

#29 escapefjrtist

escapefjrtist

Searching for Dry Roads

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Got you down for it. Check with Panman if you are in doubt what parts to have on hand for the valve check. I do recommend changing the tensioner since we are in there purely as a maintenance thing.

Right now we can check but we can't change, as we don't have a shim kit [yet] to perform adjustments. So far we've been lucky... Also, run at least two tanks of Seafoam treated fuel through the engine for top end cleaning. An alternative would be the HaulinAshe Seafoam treatment, but we haven't done that yet either. :lol: I'll bring the extinguisher!

Panman summed it up regarding parts. The valve check / tensioner change is pretty quick beginning with a cold bike.

--G

IBA 34365

'09 FJR

'12 Super Tenere

#30 MCRIDER007

MCRIDER007

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • Bike: 2014ES (Gen III) N. America

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

Right now we can check but we can't change, as we don't have a shim kit [yet] to perform adjustments. So far we've been lucky...

I have access to a shim kit that I can bring with me...just keep the Pass bare and dry that weekend.

#31 n2osx

n2osx

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:51 AM

I will be there. 2 bikes, 4 people, and possibly 1 more person on another bike. If I don't already have it done, I will be doing a CCT, TBS, and I am thinking that my tires might not be balanced very well. When I start getting towards 100 mph -+ it starts feeling a little bumpy.

#32 Scout

Scout

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

I need to do a brake bleed so count me in! Hopefully I'll be in town... My travel schedule for work only gets set a couple weeks out...
Scout

#33 superfuzz

superfuzz

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

I need to install Race Tech fork springs; no valves just springs. I've never done it myself; Is that too much of a job for this tech day? If it is, it would still be fun to meet you all in person; so I'll be there at the minimum to say hi. Don't have much expertise but have basic mechanical aptitude and can follow orders well so I make a pretty good assistant.

IBA# 54446, SS1k & B2B

1999 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk, 1999 Honda VFR800 Interceptor

#34 AuburnFJR

AuburnFJR

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

I need to install Race Tech fork springs; no valves just springs. I've never done it myself; Is that too much of a job for this tech day? If it is, it would still be fun to meet you all in person; so I'll be there at the minimum to say hi. Don't have much expertise but have basic mechanical aptitude and can follow orders well so I make a pretty good assistant.

Bring them. There should be several that can help you.

cfr2009.gifwfo08.gif

#35 ahchiu

ahchiu

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

Don't forget to get 10wt fork oil and several cans of brake clean to flush out your forks
Marcus
06 FJR1300A, 04 R6
Previous Bikes: 00 Honda ST1100, 97 Triumph Tiger, 83 Suzuki GS1100E
I'M SLOWER THAN SOME, FASTER THAN MOST

#36 escapefjrtist

escapefjrtist

Searching for Dry Roads

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Don't forget to get 10wt fork oil and several cans of brake clean to flush out your forks

Did you also get the spring guide kit for the springs? Due to the design of the RT springs, they require a thin washer to act as a perch, on top of the dampening assembly.

--G

IBA 34365

'09 FJR

'12 Super Tenere

#37 MCRIDER007

MCRIDER007

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • Bike: 2014ES (Gen III) N. America

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Why would you use 10wt fork oil if the FJR's damping system (which is not being replaced) is designed to work with 5wt oil? I just went to the Race Tech website and they even recommend 5wt oil for their Gold Valve kit. Many of us use Honda SS-7 fork oil for the OEM forks, its a high quality 5wt oil that you buy for $6.00 a pint (takes 3 pints for an FJR fork oil change).

#38 FJRGuy

FJRGuy

FJR Rally Addict! :D

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

Anybody know a route from Calgary that won't be covered in snow at that time? :(
Jeff

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#39 juniorfjr

juniorfjr

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

Anybody know a route from Calgary that won't be covered in snow at that time? :(

If you head south down through Cranbrook, that's the best looking route into Bonners Ferry to Spokane. You'd probably know that part of the route better than us. From Spokane to Auburn should be relatively simple. Those of us from Eastern Wa will be going over, kinda cold in the early a.m. but ok in the midday times.

IBA #37992, Darksider #32
WFO 4, WFO 5, WFO 6, WFO 8, WFO 9, CFR 09, WCR 10, WTFO 10, NAFO 12, REUBEN RUN

#40 superfuzz

superfuzz

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Did you also get the spring guide kit for the springs? Due to the design of the RT springs, they require a thin washer to act as a perch, on top of the dampening assembly.

--G

I'm having Sasquatch rebuild and respring my shock this week and when he sends it back, he'll also be sending rate-matched fork springs and the RT spring guide kit so I should be good to go.

Why would you use 10wt fork oil if the FJR's damping system (which is not being replaced) is designed to work with 5wt oil? I just went to the Race Tech website and they even recommend 5wt oil for their Gold Valve kit. Many of us use Honda SS-7 fork oil for the OEM forks, its a high quality 5wt oil that you buy for $6.00 a pint (takes 3 pints for an FJR fork oil change).

Noted!

Edited by superfuzz, 25 February 2012 - 10:05 PM.

IBA# 54446, SS1k & B2B

1999 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk, 1999 Honda VFR800 Interceptor