Appropriate bulkhead fitting for an FJR fuel cell?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered from Sampson. Terry sent me an email that I need to read more carefully, but he said there's another way to install it as a T into the supply. I think it'll be better to look at everything and read the email with all the stuff here. Can't wait!

Ordered from Sampson. Terry sent me an email that I need to read more carefully, but he said there's another way to install it as a T into the supply. I think it'll be better to look at everything and read the email with all the stuff here. Can't wait!
I would reread the email instructions from Terry as noted.

Taping into the supply line is very HI pressure, not a good idea. The method I used( BMW LT ) when taping fuel supply feed from a aux cell was to T into the low pressure return side. This also required a low pressure fuel pump. The FJR does not have low pressure return lines.Terry could be assuming the FJR has a low pressure return.

Get ready to drill the hole :eek: ,for the bulkhead fitting. Hope this helps..

Yeah, me thinks drilling into the tank is the best way to do it. It's scary, but not hard. I already have the unibit from the GS drilling. I probably won't have the stuff in time for install this weekend, but that's okay. Little sis has some stuff she needs help installing on her FJR - motolights and Skene brake lights. So we'll have enough to do :)

Geez, and now that I got a GIVI topbox, she's going to want one too. I know it's the sincerest form of flattery, but sometimes.... At least her bike is a different color. Last time, she got the EXACT SAME BIKE. Oy.

Got the 'stuff' from Sampson and drilled the tank last night. Walt is so stealth, that I had no idea he did it, until it was done :lol: In my defense, I was reading and when I read, the rest of the world simply doesn't exist.

The package from Sampson showed up on Saturday and the weird thing is it was just a bunch of bits of pieces in a doubled plastic shopping bag that REEKED like old dirty kitty litter. I swear. OMG, that bag STINKS! We sorted through and got the bits and pieces needed and the tank is ON! I'm not happy with where the quick disconnect is right now. But we'll get some new hose and move stuff around.

I know someone suggested not having one, but I can't do that. I need to be able to take it off. The QD is under the seat, right next to my fuse block. It ain't staying there fo' sho'.

So, thank you for the advice and input. Extra thanks to Eeksnake for emotional support (and Kitty patches) :)

She'll be tested out shortly. :)

Well, I've run a couple tanks through and it seems to be just fine. I haven't completely dialed in when is the best time to open the aux and how long it takes to drain into the main, but more experimenting will get all that sorted out. The other day I opened it when there was one bar left on the fuel indicator and after about 25 minutes I had 5 bars, so that should be plenty fast.

QD was moved. All is well now with that.

An aside on that stinky bag from Sampson. I was in the garage with the kittens (I guess they're about 8 months old) and the scaredy cat one was sniffing all around that bag. Would not leave it alone. The braver one got in on the action not long after. He got his head through the handle of the bag and was sniffing away inside. I guess something moved or he otherwise got startled and he took off with a bag full of fuel cell mounting stuff in tow. It was hysterical! He was running all over the garage, flipping out. I was too busy laughing to try and help him. Finally, the bag ripped and he took off into the house. It took me 10 minutes to find him, with the bag handles still around his neck. Poor little guy :lol:

Now I REALLY want to know WTF that smell is from in those bags.