Best Rain Gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best rain gear is gear that's waterproof...at least here in the PNWet! ;)

<snip> Totally unfashionable. Completely uncool, but dammit they work!
Lots of naysayers in prior threads regarding Frogg Toggs, but Tom sums it up nicely. I've had a set for going on eight years and they work great.

YMMV

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Best rain gear is gear that's waterproof...at least here in the PNWet! ;)

<snip> Totally unfashionable. Completely uncool, but dammit they work!
Lots of naysayers in prior threads regarding Frogg Toggs, but Tom sums it up nicely. I've had a set for going on eight years and they work great.

YMMV

--G
+1, Gunny; I also have had great waterproof riding performance from Frogg Toggs over the years, but in five minutes time that Candy Butt Association Pussy and Pissy President Don Carver will show up here and badmouth the living shit out of them! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Yep. FroggToggs leak more than BeemerDon's shenaneeegan after a boozer night in the pub.

POS, worthless, wet as a used BeemerDon's diaper.

Maybe the set I used were just bad. But they sucked big time. Couldn't even keep me dry in this drizzle.

9.jpg

I'm new to the Motoport gear so I can't comment on that. But I am looking forward to testing out the liner claims.

That being said, the issue I have with internal liners is taking them on and off. Gear has to come off. Not fun when you've pushed your luck to far on an impending rain.

My other gear with internal liners suffer the same issue (Tourmaster/Teiz). So much so that I no longer consider them rain liners, but wind blocking liners for cool weather. I'll suffer the indignities of looking like the Michelin man with my over gear in exchange for easy on/off.

All of the internal liners seem to work really well for me as far as keeping dry goes. Unfortunately, I can't recommend the Teiz. It feels like you've been laminated within seconds of putting them on (wet or dry). After you've warn them for more than 15 minutes the sweat build up is so bad you almost feel like cutting them off. It'd be easier.

There are many different model of Frogg Toggs. Some of the current models seem to be made for motorcycle use, others are not. Yet, you will find all of them being sold at various MC gear stores.

I don't own any of these (yet) but I have a sneaky suspicion that the ones that have had the leaks were the ones not designed for MC use, or earlier types before they did make MC specific models.

I'm (still) thinking about buying some of the Horny Toads for carrying and using in the summer months to compliment our Olympia mesh protective gear.

Having briefly owned a Roadcrafter two piece suit, I have no idea how anyone could wear one of those suits year round. I guess us northerners just don't stand up to the heat very well. ;)

Absolutely, the best rain gear is your actual riding gear that is waterproof.

In the summertime I wear mesh, though. I have decided to never buy gear that has liners used as your waterproof rain gear.

#1 Unless the rain starts as a frog strangler, I tend to wait until I know that it's going to "stay" raining before I will don a rainsuit... so, I want to just throw it over the top of the gear I'm riding in.

#2 it seems to me that mesh ride gear isn't supposed to get wet even though they tout that it can. It seems to me that it will lose a ton of abrasion resistance if it's wet. (I'm not speaking of highly expensive motoport gear)

I wear a suit made by First Gear. I don't remember what it's called. It's ok... nothing to write home about.

Once upon a time I had a set of frogg toggs that I had extremely bad luck with. It seems that either people love them or hate them. It appears to me that they've made great strides in recent years. I may try them again.

Motoport uses 303 High Tech Fabric Guard to waterproof their liners. My Motoport has kept me dry in some heavy rain. The most important thing is to get the right fit. Make sure everything overlaps well.
Nope. MotoPort uses Fabric Guard 303 on the outer shell of jackets and pants for UV protection and provide waterproofing.

Our gear doesn't absorb any water and will be dry in minutes after a rain. Note: If your gear is absorbing water, part of maintenance is to spray the outer shell with Fabric Guard 303.
The MotoPort Liners are waterproof and breathable and do work fairly well. They don't however, work for $hit here in the PNWet in an all day soaker. Liners over the top of non-waterproof gear is the only way to go.

Just my $.02 owning both Air Mesh and Stretch Kevlar jackets and Air Mesh pants.

--G

Motoport uses 303 High Tech Fabric Guard to waterproof their liners. My Motoport has kept me dry in some heavy rain. The most important thing is to get the right fit. Make sure everything overlaps well.
Nope. MotoPort uses Fabric Guard 303 on the outer shell of jackets and pants for UV protection and provide waterproofing.

Our gear doesn't absorb any water and will be dry in minutes after a rain. Note: If your gear is absorbing water, part of maintenance is to spray the outer shell with Fabric Guard 303.
The MotoPort Liners are waterproof and breathable and do work fairly well. They don't however, work for $hit here in the PNWet in an all day soaker. Liners over the top of non-waterproof gear is the only way to go.

Just my $.02 owning both Air Mesh and Stretch Kevlar jackets and Air Mesh pants.

--G
I have the instructions for my Motoport gear sitting here in front of me.

"When water does not bead up on the outside of the shell of the jacket, pant, or inner waterproof liner, then it is time tor re-treat with Fabric Guard 303. You will remain 100% Waterproof/Windproof/Breathable, but both the jacket/pant/liner will soak up water and become heavy when re-treating the garment is necessary." (italics and underline added by me for emphasis.)

I had my first experience with the Frogg Toggs (Road Toad version) for an hour and a half downpour yesterday. Upper body stayed dry with no water down my back, but my knees, crotch, and side of my lower legs were soaked. I have a nice water proof Firstgear set, but it is hot in the summer.

I had my first experience with the Frogg Toggs (Road Toad version) for an hour and a half downpour yesterday. Upper body stayed dry with no water down my back, but my knees, crotch, and side of my lower legs were soaked. I have a nice water proof Firstgear set, but it is hot in the summer.
DING DING! Finally the truth is known! FrogToggs suck toads.

I just called my Good Friend Barry in Owosso, MI and received his kind permission to use this quote: "Carver, eat a bowl of cocks!" Wearing my Frogg Toggs to Big Sur!

Like others have said, I wear gear with an internal insulated liner. I take the liner out in the summer so that the air flows through and pack rain gear. This is a great tradeoff for being comfortable in hot weather. I have a pair of HD rain pants and a Honda rain jacket. I am not sure who makes them, but they work well and I have never gotten wet while wearing them. Last October I wore them through a downpour that lasted about five hours without any issues. When the rain stopped, I just took them off. The only problem then is deciding how to pack wet rain gear.

I also have a pair of Aerostich triple digit rain gloves, but would not recommend them. The first pair did not keep out the rain so Aerostich replaced them. The first time I rode with the second pair, the velcro fastener strap on the back of one tore apart. I immediately informed Aerostich of this and they sent me a $5 off coupon for my next purchase. I was not impressed; I thought that Aerostich might at least offer to fix or replace them. Oh well, I will try to get them fixed locally.

I just called my Good Friend Barry in Owosso, MI and received his kind permission to use this quote: "Carver, eat a bowl of cocks!" Wearing my Frogg Toggs to Big Sur!
Yeah, your just trying to have an excuse for incontinence you ol' phart! :p

Yeah, your just trying to have an excuse for incontinence you ol' phart! :p
When we get to the Big Sur River Inn next Saturday 4/14 you have my full permission to feel my nutsacks to see if they are dry or not; with your tongue! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

I know this is heading for the NEPRT section but:

I wore my Toadskinz pants through a downpour yesterday, stayed warm and dry, not one drop found it's way through! I believe their claim to have improved is correct.

Thank you for your patience.

Al

For anyone actually paying attention here, :rolleyes:

...the "Toadz" series is the new stuff which may be considerably better than any of the old Frogg Togg gear. All of the other stuff is still made with the same unwoven polyester material, which is that weird fibrous cloth that you've probably seen as Frogg Toggs in the past. While that old stuff may work on water being splashed onto the rider, it will not work when you are essentially sitting in a puddle in your seat. All of that breath-ability just lets the water in.

The Toadz serioes is different in that it is a traditional polyester weaved material outer layer, and a non-woven polyester (like the old Toggs) inner liner, with a DriPore membrane (clone of GoreTex without all the royalties) layer in between. With three water resistant layers, I am optimistic that this gear is the real deal. It certainly is considerably higher priced than any of the others.