Tour of the Pyrenees 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airline Cost Information for the Pyrenees 2008 Trip:

If this helps others financially, here is what I have found out. I mentioned to Reid Hester last night on the phone that I had been checking flight costs on a weekly basis and they had all been priced over $1,300 from Phoenix to Barcelona and back. This was a real sticker shock to Bob and I, since five of we AZBeemers had flown to Frankfurt and back to ride the Alps just this last May for only $650!

But lo and behold, this morning's flight cost check on www.cheaptickets.com shows: $947 + $112 taxes and fees = $1,059. With the Euro beating up on the dollar and with fuel costs rising out of sight, we believe we had better get this flight while the getting is good. Bob & Don

Stef has listed two other rental firms for bikes on the Pyrenees trip in his very first post, but here is the info for Ad-Mo. I like working with Ad-Mo because they're just 300 miles from Chandler, so I could go to them if something came up.

Then I found out that the gal I was dealing with was the same one that had booked my 2004 Alpine Trip and my 2006 Andalucia Trip when she was working for Edelweiss Bike Travel. What a small world! website: www.admo-tours.com e-mail: [email protected] phone: 1-760-249-1105 fax: 1-760-249-5550 Their office is in the mountain community of Wrightwood, California.

Hi Stef,

I've given this trip a lot of thought and consideration but in the end have decided that it just won't work for me this next year. Thanks for organizing it though and should you ever get to the U.S. Southwest, let's go riding.

I've been watching this with great interest, but can't do 2008. If you do this another year in the future, I would be most interested!!

Jim

Thanks for your interest, folks :clapping:

I'll definitely be doing this Tour in the future, too, and will post the program here well in advance

See you sometime soon

Stef

I've been drooling over your Pyrenees pics & video for a while, now. Biking Europe has been on my to-do list for a long time, as well.

Unfortunately, we already have 2 long rides, and another week's vacation planned for '08; no chance I can make it to Spain. Assuming this is an annual event, I'd definately set aside time for '09.

Kudos to Stef for setting this up!

We now have TV, cellphones and don't have to sell our seesters any more (well, only on special occasions) :p :p :p (j/k bro :D )

Stef,

I'll buy Antonella, but she'll have to clean windows and floors according to SJW ... :rolleyes:

JW

Thanks for your interest, folks :clapping: I'll definitely be doing this Tour in the future, too, and will post the program here well in advance

See you sometime soon

Stef
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we...

Hola Stef,

Bob and I are chomping at the bit to get to Spain. Another friend Dave Cooley, rode with us to Mexico's Copper Canyon last month, is also hoping to attend. He's going to twist some arms at www.azbeemers.org/forum to get a room mate going.

Recuerdos,

BeemerDonS

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we...
BeemerDonS
Yup. Better fuel up now and catch an early night.

We leave tomorrow at Oh-Dark-Thirty.

NOT! :blink:

Heh heh heh....it'll be time to roll before we know it.

Hasta pronto!

Stef

BeemerDonS
Yup. Better fuel up now and catch an early night.

We leave tomorrow at Oh-Dark-Thirty.

NOT! :blink:

Heh heh heh....it'll be time to roll before we know it.

Hasta pronto!

Stef
Just for grins and giggles, I researched the lodgings that Stef has us staying at, and I have posted their links below:

https://www.hesperia.com/hotels/Hesperia-Andorra-La-Vella/ for our night in Andorra.

https://www.torla.com/hotelbujaruelo/elhotel.htm for our two nights in Torla.

https://www.hotelespamplona.com/ingles/hote...-husa-noain.htm for our two nights in Pamplona.

They all look great, with fantastic views of the Pyrenees right outside the windows. Are we there yet?

If you are planning your own future trip to Barcelona, you can go to hotels.com to see the Barcelo Hotel Sants; which I think is going to serve us old bikers well for exploring the city. Also, you can go www.viator.com and follow the links to Barcelona to see the many tourist attractions available to a turista. Bob and I have booked the Barcelona Bus Turistic here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for grins and giggles, I researched the lodgings that Stef has us staying at, and I have posted their links below:
Well done, Don

Further down the road I'll post pics of a few highlights of this Tour for those still sitting on the fence :unsure:

That ought to make them reach for their credit card and book the rental bikes ;)

I'm still aiming to wrap it all up by the end of January. Of course any latecomers will be more than welcome to join the group at a later date but they're gonna have to organize their own land arrangements :huh:

Stef

Stef, I will spread the word to Uri Schumm, Dave Cooley and the other yearly Europe riders from www.fastour.us/ and at www.azbeemers.org/forum that January 31 is the deadline and they have to poop or get off of the pot for Pyrenees!

Collage.jpg

Here, this should do as an appetizer. Pass that white Cava wine, will ya? :man_in_love:

Stef

This looks awesome, wish I could afford it.
Actually, your comment and the following one on this thread is what made me join so that I could post the following thread... Euro Touring Too Expensive? Think Again!

Biking Europe has been on my to-do list for a long time, as well.
Jägermeister, I like your avatar. That is one bottle I see very often in Austria and Germany.

Well take that first step to heading over. I did it all on my own way back in 1995 without any of the resources available today. Trust me, you won't regret it. You might end up heading back every year as I have. Thats when it get expensive.

This looks awesome, wish I could afford it.
Actually, your comment and the following one on this thread is what made me join so that I could post the following thread... Euro Touring Too Expensive? Think Again!

Biking Europe has been on my to-do list for a long time, as well.
Jägermeister, I like your avatar. That is one bottle I see very often in Austria and Germany.

Well take that first step to heading over. I did it all on my own way back in 1995 without any of the resources available today. Trust me, you won't regret it. You might end up heading back every year as I have. Thats when it get expensive.
Jagermeister and FJR_pig: The three M/C Clubs that I ride with in Phoenix - AZ Beemers, AZ FJR Forum and Fast Tour Riders Group - have extensively used Global Rider Alex's website in planning our European motorcycling adventures.

I'm using Alex's website right now in some long range planning effort for a motorcycle tour of Corsica and Sardinia in 2009.

Even though I lived in Europe for 2 years, Augsburg in Germany, Alex has found some great ways and ideas to save money!

I'm planning a motorcycle tour of Corsica and Sardinia in 2009.
Terrific news Don! I'm glad you are considering Sardinia as well. You might as well if you are going to be in Corsica. Mind you, when in Sardinia, Sicily would be a tease...so many roads, so little time.

Since you mentioned in a PM to me that you can't be away for more than two weeks at a time, then to get the most time on those islands, I'd suggest either renting a bike in nearby Italy near a ferry port (yeah I know, renting in Italy is more expensive) or renting one on Corsica itself. All I saw were smaller motorcycles for rent on Corsica. Mind you, after being there with my R1150 GS Adventure on some very narrow roads, I would have preferred something like an F650 single.

BTW, my web site is not up to date (I procrastinate a lot). My SmugMug site has my 2006 Corsica pics up. Or better yet, my first attempt at a tour report.

Ah, Stef! ARE WE THERE YET? I just finished cleaning up the front yard and was heading to the backyard to clean the pool.

As I was raking away, I started daydreaming about the Pyrenees! So, I went to the computer and typed in "Pyrenees Motorcycle Videos" and lo and behold: All of teerex51's movies were the number one link listed under Yahoo Search engine.

Which means the backyard is still a mess and the pool filters haven't cleaned themselves. But a fun hour of bike viewing!!

Man oh man, I just can't wait for May 24th to jump on the silver bird and head to Barcelona. Get Your Motor Running. Yeah!

Yessir, it's getting close and all the remaining details are getting ironed out. All systems are go and we're anxious to be on our way.

Meanwhile I got talked into doing a Tour of Sicily at Eastertime, that's 7 weeks away :huh: So I've got to squeeze in the organization of that tour, too.

Life's a bitch... :p We may even hop across the water to Malta. There's a fast boat from the southernmost tip of Sicily that'll get us to Malta in 90 minutes.

Ah, so many islands...so little time B)

Stef

Last edited by a moderator: