Tour of the Pyrenees 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update.gif

Just a brief summary of what we've got so far by way of participants:

(If you don't see your name on the list, please let me know. I've been known to screw up occasionally :lol: By the same token, if you see your name on the list and you ain't coming... now's the time to let me know)

ex USA:

Beemerdons, Bob

ex-UK

Orestes

ex-Slovakia

Caba

ex-Italy

Teerex, MEK, Hook, Norysan (relax, they're just Forum handles...we're real people :huh: )

In 2 weeks' time I'll confirm all reservations and we're good to go.

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
Buenos Dias Mi Amigo Stef,

We're ready willing and able! Bob and I are heading out on our bikes to Bahia Kino, Mexico on Friday, February 15, just to brush up on our Spanish and our tequila drinking skills. Just let us know when it's time to send our Pyrenees money to you.

I really want to thank you again for working so hard to put this trip together for us. For the last 40 years I have been riding into Mexico and for the last 30 years I have been leading groups of friends deep into Mexico with me. I know the effort that you are expending in organizing routes and contacting hotels for lodging. These foreign trips do not organize themselves!

This Pyrenees trip means so much to me because it was an opportunity passed by many years ago. In Summer of 1970 I rode my 1966 BMW R60/2 from my US Army base in Augsburg, Germany to Lisbon, Portugal. I skirted the Pyrenees on the far North at Bilbao end on my way West; and it was to the North of me as I rode back to Bavaria along the Mediterranean. I never got to ride a single kilometer in the Pyrenees as I was hugging the Atlantic and the southern coast at Perpignan.

Hasta la vista y muchas gracias,

Chuy Medina, aka Don Stanley

... I know the effort that you are expending in organizing routes and contacting hotels for lodging. These foreign trips do not organize themselves!
...Hasta la vista y muchas gracias,

De nada, you're most welcome :hi:

...and so's everyone joining us.

While it does take some time and effort to put together a trip like this, the reward is to have gathered a bunch of friends and to eventually ride with them through a great biking arena such as the Pyrenees.

All right, this may sound corny but I mean it. Anybody on this board who's organized a group ride of some description will pro'lly concur.

Hone those drinking skills in Mexico, compadre, and we'll talk when you get back. For the hotel deposit there's no mad rush, either. :bye:

Esteve

... I know the effort that you are expending in organizing routes and contacting hotels for lodging. These foreign trips do not organize themselves!
...Hasta la vista y muchas gracias,

De nada, you're most welcome :hi:

...and so's everyone joining us.

While it does take some time and effort to put together a trip like this, the reward is to have gathered a bunch of friends and to eventually ride with them through a great biking arena such as the Pyrenees.

All right, this may sound corny but I mean it. Anybody on this board who's organized a group ride of some description will pro'lly concur.

Hone those drinking skills in Mexico, compadre, and we'll talk when you get back. For the hotel deposit there's no mad rush, either. :bye:

Esteve
Thanks once again for organising this trip. I know exactly what you and Don mean about organising tours. My 2006 tour to the Austrian Tirol started out with 5 bikes, increased to 25 and then back to 15 which confused me and annoyed various hoteliers en-route, so now I limit myself to groups of 10 or less.

The good news is that I've managed to persuade my boss (he owns a MV 1000 Senna and a BMW K1200GT so it was not too hard) to allow me a couple of extra days leave so I'll be able to have a more relaxed ride through France and meet you in Barcelona. And save the last day for a IBA saddlesore 1000 home

Hope you enjoy your trip to Sicily at Easter.

See you soon.

Dave

Greetings Dave,

I will let you know where Dr. Bob and I are staying at on Tuesday night as soon as Stef lets me know where he and his FJR Italian friends are at. I wasn't quite sure if they were arriving by ferry on Wednesday or if they were coming Tuesday night.

We'll add another night at Hotel Barcelo Sants if they arrive May 28. If it's Tuesday we'll stay at the same hotel as them.

Regards, Don S.

I wasn't quite sure if they were arriving by ferry on Wednesday or if they were coming Tuesday night.
You're right. A final decision is still pending, due to some folks still sitting on the fence. Me, I'm all for coming in on May 27 and starting the trip hungover on Rioja wine and Orujo. (The latter is Spain's response to Italy's grappa. Your liver won't know the difference, though :rolleyes: )

Also, I have a couple of meetings in Barcelona in March and I will take that opportunity to wangle a good rate from the Alimara Hotel for the overnight of May 27. CLICKEE

This is my favorite in BCN and it offers the following advantages:

• close to ring-road
  • close to subway station (Mundet)
  • has locked garage
  • walking distance to awesome restaurant Can Cortada CLICKEE

I'll advise on this item later in March. By then, Dave, please let me know if you'll need hotel accommodation on May 27. It's great that you'll be joining us

from the very start.

Esteve el Duque del Pirineo :blink:

I wasn't quite sure if they were arriving by ferry on Wednesday or if they were coming Tuesday night.
You're right. A final decision is still pending, due to some folks still sitting on the fence. Me, I'm all for coming in on May 27 and starting the trip hungover on Rioja wine and Orujo. (The latter is Spain's response to Italy's grappa. Your liver won't know the difference, though :rolleyes: )

Also, I have a couple of meetings in Barcelona in March and I will take that opportunity to wangle a good rate from the Alimara Hotel for the overnight of May 27. CLICKEE

This is my favorite in BCN and it offers the following advantages:

• close to ring-road
  • close to subway station (Mundet)
  • has locked garage
  • walking distance to awesome restaurant Can Cortada CLICKEE

I'll advise on this item later in March. By then, Dave, please let me know if you'll need hotel accommodation on May 27. It's great that you'll be joining us

from the very start.

Esteve el Duque del Pirineo :blink:
Mi Hermano, The Hotel Alimara looks good to us for Tuesday night. If you are going for it, please book Bob and I there too.

Ad-Mo Bike Rentals is on the road to Mataro, east of Olympic Stadium, and they'll pick us up from our hotel on Wednesday AM.

I'm very familiar with grappa. Mi amigo Rodolfo Callado, born in Tijuana, MEX, and graduated with a degree in Viticulture the same year I did from California Polytechnic University San Luis Obispo, manages Kendall-Jackson's vineyards in Siena, Italy.

I've spent a week, one night, drinking grappa with Fof and his wife Sue. I'll bring a bottle of Herradura Tequila for you guys!

This is getting exciting now. I'll book the channel crossing when I get home tonight. I'll leave on Saturday 24th and make a quick run down to Clermont Ferrand (or possibly Millau) and then spend the next few days on the back-roads wending my way down to Barcelona, arriving on the 27th. So I'll stay with you at the Alimara if you arrive on the 27th or otherwise with Don and Bob.

I guess I'm going to have to spend more time on my Italian lessons (since December I have worked for an Italian company, Finmeccanica) as my Spanish is non-existent :unsure: Although I hope my drinking skills will prove adequate :D

Dave

Dave, Check out the menu featured at Restaurant Can Cortada. Not exactly bangers and mash or pickled eel and chips that we prefer in Chatham is it? I guess we can keep up the stiff upper lip and muddle through. Sign me up for the Crosta. Maybe you order the seafood paella, Bob will order the filete a la piedra, and we'll split the three main courses. Yours, Don

Restaurants Can Cortada

Catalan cuisine

Address:

Av. de l´Estatut de Catalunya, s/n Barcelona (Horta)

Price Range:

Less than 10 euros

Opening Days/Hours:

From 13h-16h and 20h-23.30h

Located outside the city centre, Can Cortada is a stately mansion from the 16th century that is considered part of Barcelona's cultural heritage. The tower that keeps watch over the property dates even further back to the 11th century, when it was used for defensive purposes. A country road lined with elegant cypress trees leads up to the house, which is surrounded by lush gardens. The restaurant has several rooms, some of which recall the cavernous halls of medieval times, others with a sunnier and brighter disposition, which makes this restaurant an excellent venue for group dinners, weddings and other celebrations. Nestled amidst the pretty garden is a lovely terrace, perfect for long drawn-out summer lunches. Dreamy and lost in time, Can Cortada is like a snippet of country life, a place where everything still moves at a different pace.

Type of cuisine: Traditionally Catalan, the cuisine consists of excellently prepared, simple dishes using only the finest ingredients.

Typical dishes: Typical plates include "Crosta" (veal chop on a crust of sea salt), duck with pears, chicken with scampi, salads, rice dishes, meat and fish. One unusual house speciality is the filete a la piedra (stone-cooked fillet), which is exactly that - a finely sliced fillet brought to your table on a small grill and accompanied by a very hot stone. The raw meat is placed on the stone where it cooks to perfection right in front of you.

Atmosphere/décor: Despite its exterior resemblance to a castle, the restaurant is actually quite cosy and welcoming. Its traditional quality has withstood the test of time, foregoing trends and fads in favour of old-fashioned, rustic charm. It is a family-oriented place that is ideal for weddings and other social gatherings. Its excellent reputation has won it a loyal following of repeat visitors, which adds to the calm, familiar and welcoming atmosphere.

Reservations are strongly recommended.

The restaurant provides parking for its clients.

Dave, Check out the menu featured at Restaurant Can Cortada. Not exactly bangers and mash or pickled eel and chips that we prefer in Chatham is it? I guess we can keep up the stiff upper lip and muddle through. Sign me up for the Crosta. Maybe you order the seafood paella, Bob will order the filete a la piedra, and we'll split the three main courses. Yours, Don
I must admit to not being a very adventurous diner never having sampled Jellied Eel or Jugged Hare, but that menu looks very interesting. Hmm, think I'll go for fish or possibly the Chicken with Scampi. The one thing I especially remember from visiting my brother in Xativa is the habit of eating very late. It was not unusual to get a invitation to dinner at 11pm.

dave

https://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/n...9bugfood19.html

I'm of the adventurous dining persuasion. September 16 is Dia de la Independencia which commemorates the start of Mexico's war for independence from Spain. I ride to Ocitlan on the shores of Laguna de Chapala for the grasshopper tacos!

I hear you about the Spanish dining late! In February of 2006 my AZ Beemers friend Uri Schumm and I went on the Andalucia Tour with Edelweiss Bike and dinner was never served until 2100 hours. We Norte Americanos were starving.

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=244.0

...ehm, the average price for dinner at Can Cortada is never less than EUR 30. That reference to "less than EUR 10" probably applies to a handful of olives and a glass of water, no bubbles :lol: My favorite starter there is exqueixada de bacalao CLICA AQUI!, basically cold codifish in tomato sauce.... :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

...ehm, the average price for dinner at Can Cortada is never less than EUR 30. That reference to "less than EUR 10" probably applies to a handful of olives and a glass of water, no bubbles :lol: My favorite starter there is exqueixada de bacalao CLICA AQUI!, basically cold codifish in tomato sauce.... :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:
I'll be on holiday so I'll not worry too much about cost of meals, drinks, petrol and other sundry expenses. It'll all be about having fun :yahoo:

I'll be on holiday so I'll not worry too much about cost of meals, drinks, petrol and other sundry expenses. It'll all be about having fun :yahoo:
Amen, Dave. EUR 30 for great Catalan cuisine in a 500 year old castle is a ticket to the ballgame. This trip is going to be fun!

For my contribution I'll bring a couple of liters of Home made Romanian Palinka (Plumb Brandy). Good stuff. And in a pinch, I'm sure it will keep the FJR running if gas is low!

Stef, If you want I can probably throw in a couple of the Dark Saris for the first night!

:drinks:

Hasta!

For my contribution I'll bring a couple of liters of Home made Romanian Palinka (Plumb Brandy). Good stuff. And in a pinch, I'm sure it will keep the FJR running if gas is low!
Stef, If you want I can probably throw in a couple of the Dark Saris for the first night!

Hasta!
Stef: Bob and I are back from our ride to Mexico. Ah Mexico, it's so groovy I just want to go! Great ride with great friends!

Caba: With all of us bringing our own moonshine - hooch from our native lands, there are going to be some rough mornings!

Dave: Are you interested in sharing your room to reduce costs? If so contact Dave Cooley at [email protected] May go?!

Hasta!
Stef: Bob and I are back from our ride to Mexico. Ah Mexico, it's so groovy I just want to go! Great ride with great friends!

Caba: With all of us bringing our own moonshine - hooch from our native lands, there are going to be some rough mornings!

Dave: Are you interested in sharing your room to reduce costs? If so contact Dave Cooley at [email protected] May go?!
I'd rather not touch Poteen (Irish Potato based spirit) but it's possible a good single malt whisky may fit in the saddle bags :)

Don, PM sent.

Doggone gringos... :cowboy:

thinkin' 'bout booze alla time....

(Leastways we've got something in common we can talk about... :p )

I get the feeling this is going to be a high-octane trip. So far, the hooch list contains

* Saris beer for starters (as the Spanish say: nunca bajar!, start from the lower alcohol content and work your way up)

* Palinka (gypsy mouthwash)

* Grappa (Eye-talian Maalox)

* Single Malt (a gentleman's drink, but we'll have some, too, thank you very much :p )

* Orujo (local firewater)

Dang, if my friend VMax_03 were to join us we'd have ourselves some mighty faahn White Lightnin' too :D

Stef

Hasta!

I'd rather not touch Poteen (Irish Potato based spirit) but it's possible a good single malt whisky may fit in the saddle bags :)

Don, PM sent.
Dave, From a tour of the distilleries in your neck of the woods, I have one favorite. If you can bring a bottle of "Glenfiddich Malt Whisky Liquer". Sounds funny but it's the smoothest thing I've ever had. I'll buy from you as much as you can bring, but I don't think it will make it out of Spain!

I've tried to find it, but it's only sold in GB and the former commonwealth. I could get it in Canada, but not the states.

I'll definately pack the Advil! :dribble:

Dave, From a tour of the distilleries in your neck of the woods, I have one favorite. If you can bring a bottle of "Glenfiddich Malt Whisky Liquer". Sounds funny but it's the smoothest thing I've ever had. I'll buy from you as much as you can bring, but I don't think it will make it out of Spain!
I've tried to find it, but it's only sold in GB and the former commonwealth. I could get it in Canada, but not the states.

I'll definately pack the Advil! :dribble:
Small bottles so I should be able to pack a couple for you. One to share - one to take home and treasure.