Whistle seems fixed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickey191

Reaction score
I think I have a temporary fix for the whistle - a permanent one will be simple if this really worked.

I took 1 piece of electrical tape and taped it across the black metal support frame for the windshield. There are tons of little gaps and holes under there.

No whistle to or from work today.

I little silicone would be a more permanent fix if you don't like the idea of a piece of tape under your glass.

:clap:

If you secure the "W" shaped screw cover bracket down the same result. Although I really didn't have a problem with the whistle. PM. <>< :D

I got rid or the whistle in about the same way using some weatherstriping tape and covering the gaps in the bar from the bottom. Worked great until the tape started to blow off.

The gaps...See:

https://tinyurl.com/39ww9h

I think if one were to dismantle it some and apply the weatherstriping on the "inside" it would stay better.

My plan is to buy some rubber trim that has a " T " shaped cross section and insert and glue it in from the top rather than the bottom. I don't want to use something lilke calk because it may be a pain in the ass to take off if a new windscreen becomes available....but logicaly should work.

I also think there is a high speed "whistle" that is coming off something else, ,maybe the mirrors.

Will report what I find after I get a chance to test.

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
yep - thanks for doing the picture. Those are the parts I covered with electrical tape - from the upwind side, of course.

I would think that silicone (black would be nice) wouldn't be too much of a bother as it peels off relatively easily.

and yes - there is a bit of a whistle left - it sounds sort of like a kid learning how to whistle - mostly air without much of a "note" - if you get my meaning. Typically (from a whistle point of view) this would imply a too large orifice and too much wind. sounds like those big honkin' mirror stalks to me - though it could well be the whole big opening under the windshield or even the new vent. At this point - that half-assed whistle only hits me at about 55 mph.

So my solution is:

Don't ride at 55 mph !

Great post -- will have to do when mine shows up.

Are the spaces 'through holes'? (i.e. do they go all the way through the w bracket?)

Just trying to think of other ways to fix it -- like tape the bottom, and fill with black silicone window stuff -- like 3M 5200 black (8 bucks usd)

Polyurethane adhesive/sealant becomes tack free in 48 hours, completely cures in 5-7 days with no shrinkage. The seal is very strong, retains its strength even in extreme weather conditions, above or below water. Stays flexible too, allowing for structural movement. Stress caused by shock, vibration, swelling or shrinking is effectively absorbed. Has excellent resistance to weathering and salt water. Easy to apply with manual caulking gun. Remains workable with trowel or spatula up to four hours after application. Won't sag or flow in vertical or horizontal seams.

Great for Sealing Trailer Roof & Wall Seams.

6305.jpg

how good is it for ease of removal? this is one project where I probably WON'T use Goop. I use goop for everything, but sometimes it doesn't want to come off. Silicone (and the like ) usually peal off, which I think is what you want here. Sooner or later you will have to disassemble all this metal under the windshield.

chickey191 - I have to ask you, were you the guy sucking on a big cigar while working the checkpoint at Pismo Beach during last years Cal 24? I just now saw your picture on the SPANK site and think you could be one and the same person.

that would be me.  Still mad about the sand and water?????
Sand and water at a beach??? That sucks!
Orangevale - Here's a snippet of my ride report from the Cal24 that explains the sand and water deal. I guess I should now update it to say thanks Chuck. :D

After a short ride on H101 we got to Pismo beach 1 1/2 hours before the checkpoint opening, so I decided to get gas since there was plenty of spare time. As we were getting gas another rider pulled in on a CBR1100 and introduced himself as Brian Roberts. We talked for a while and he suggested we get out of the cold for a while at Denny’s since the checkpoint was not open. This was good advice. We sat and talked for a while, then headed down to the Wharf for the opening checkpoint. We were given 2 options to carry on. Either wait for 20 minutes before leaving or walk onto the beach and retrieve a baggy with salt water and sand. We opted for the water and sand as we had already been hanging out at Denny’s. We got quite a few stares from the locals as we, a bunch of crazy folk in full motorcycle regalia, were walking onto the beach at 3.00am to retrieve sand and water. We were told that we had to safely carry it back to the finish line any way we wanted, so now there was a bunch of sand and water heading back towards King City. As it turned out, it did not reap any reward of points for the rally at the finish line. We had just learned another mind trick played on us by the Rally organizers. Thanks guys.

After a short ride on H101 we got to Pismo beach 1 1/2 hours before the checkpoint opening, so I decided to get gas since there was plenty of spare time. As we were getting gas another rider pulled in on a CBR1100 and introduced himself as Brian Roberts. We talked for a while and he suggested we get out of the cold for a while at Denny’s since the checkpoint was not open. This was good advice. We sat and talked for a while, then headed down to the Wharf for the opening checkpoint. We were given 2 options to carry on. Either wait for 20 minutes before leaving or walk onto the beach and retrieve a baggy with salt water and sand. We opted for the water and sand as we had already been hanging out at Denny’s. We got quite a few stares from the locals as we, a bunch of crazy folk in full motorcycle regalia, were walking onto the beach at 3.00am to retrieve sand and water. We were told that we had to safely carry it back to the finish line any way we wanted, so now there was a bunch of sand and water heading back towards King City. As it turned out, it did not reap any reward of points for the rally at the finish line. We had just learned another mind trick played on us by the Rally organizers. Thanks guys.
That is great! Sounds like some of the stuff I did in the military.

Actually - there was supposed to be points involved.

the idea was that if you didn't arrive BACK with Sand AND water - that you would not get the points.

I probably should not have signed off on the bonus - you should have been required to show the results of your hike and THEN gotten the bonus signed off.

I guess I should have signed ONLY those who waited - and put "CHECK HIS BAGGY" or something like that on the bonii sheet.

My mistake, but hey --- at least I made it to the CP on time.

Some folks didn't

there were at least 4 people who went and got the sand and water and then left them sitting on the trash can. They really shouldn't have gotten points !!!!

Actually - there was supposed to be points involved.the idea was that if you didn't arrive BACK with Sand AND water - that you would not get the points. 

I probably should not have signed off on the bonus - you should have been required to show the results of your hike and THEN gotten the bonus signed off. 

I guess I should have signed ONLY those who waited - and put "CHECK HIS BAGGY" or something like that on the bonii sheet.

My mistake, but hey --- at least I made it to the CP on time.

Some folks didn't

there were at least 4 people who went and got the sand and water and then left them sitting on the trash can.  They really shouldn't have gotten points !!!!
Hmm, I might not be so eager to run down to the beach again. Once bitten and all that. :unsure:

Great post -- will have to do when mine shows up.
Are the spaces 'through holes'? (i.e. do they go all the way through the w bracket?)

Just trying to think of other ways to fix it -- like tape the bottom, and fill with black silicone window stuff -- like 3M 5200 black (8 bucks usd)

Polyurethane adhesive/sealant becomes tack free in 48 hours, completely cures in 5-7 days with no shrinkage. The seal is very strong, retains its strength even in extreme weather conditions, above or below water. Stays flexible too, allowing for structural movement. Stress caused by shock, vibration, swelling or shrinking is effectively absorbed. Has excellent resistance to weathering and salt water. Easy to apply with manual caulking gun. Remains workable with trowel or spatula up to four hours after application. Won't sag or flow in vertical or horizontal seams.

Great for Sealing Trailer Roof & Wall Seams.

6305.jpg
Kind of a late post on this subject, but I have to interject something about using 5200-- DON'T UNLESS YOU DON'T EVER INTEND ON REMOVING THE PIECE.

I have been refitting sailboats for years and it is well known in the community that 5200 has fantastic sealing and ADHEASIVE properties. So when we want both, we use it with the caviat that we don't plan on taking the piece off again, because you will either destroy/damage the piece or what it is adheared to.

I used plain old silicone on my '06 with satisfactory results. It is much cheaper. Black would be best because it won't discolor. I used clear because it was on the workbench. Now if I need to disassemble the windsheild or recaulk it will be easy. If you think you need adheasion and sealing, then I'd recommend 3M 101 caulk. It even works underwater like 5200, but has less adheasive properties. And at least you have some chance of taking things apart without damage. Hell, with 5200 you don't need a bracket and bolts... just let it cure and take the clamp off... it won't be going anywhere.

Black silicone

B)

I think I have a temporary fix for the whistle - a permanent one will be simple if this really worked.
I took 1 piece of electrical tape and taped it across the black metal support frame for the windshield. There are tons of little gaps and holes under there.

No whistle to or from work today.

I little silicone would be a more permanent fix if you don't like the idea of a piece of tape under your glass.

:clap:
My whistle starts at 35 mph,then I get an additional peeping sound above that, especially in side winds. My problem IS the W-shaped windshield 'mask'. My solution is to ride without it, until I get a aftermarket windshiels next spring. I emailed 2 of the 4 or 5 popular vendors asking if they would omit the holes for the mask attaching brackets, but no luck. re: Gen II -'08 AE.