Whistle seems fixed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct me if I'm wrong-doesn't Mamaha make a newfangled foam gasket that goes under the W bracket that seals out the wind whistle..?

Correct me if I'm wrong-doesn't Mamaha make a newfangled foam gasket that goes under the W bracket that seals out the wind whistle..?
Just looked on the official Mamaha web site at their "Official" part listing and diagrams... Nope, no new foam gasket shown.

Of course, they still don't even have parts breakdown and diagrams for 08 Feejers, let alone the 09. :glare:

Don

Yes they do but I looked on the breakdown of the windshield and it shows no gasket and as mentioned the breakdown only goes up to 2007 but all should be the same for the Gen II IMO. But my thinking is the window probably comes with the gasket already stuck on. I have an 06 and it came with no gasket but I bought a stock window off an 08 from one of our fine forum members here because of the anti-scratch coating and it has a stock foam gasket adhered around the lower 3 center bolt holes and covers that portion of the window only and is about a 1/16" thick but I'm not sure this gasket does or will fix the whistle issue.

I have heard of others here mention somewhere that there is a gasket for the window but unable to find any posts on the subject. I also bought the V-Stream and it has no gasket. But I would really like to have a gasket for that as well. I remember someone saying you would get possible premature cracking at the bolt holes if one doesn't have a gasket. So far I have no cracking on the V-Stream but it is a very thick window. I would also like to know about a possible stock gasket but my main reason to obtain one is the protection of the window. I guess one could make their own.... PM. <>< :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got rid or the whistle in about the same way using some weatherstriping tape and covering the gaps in the bar from the bottom. Worked great until the tape started to blow off. The gaps...See:

https://tinyurl.com/39ww9h

I think if one were to dismantle it some and apply the weatherstriping on the "inside" it would stay better.

My plan is to buy some rubber trim that has a " T " shaped cross section and insert and glue it in from the top rather than the bottom. I don't want to use something lilke calk because it may be a pain in the ass to take off if a new windscreen becomes available....but logicaly should work.

I also think there is a high speed "whistle" that is coming off something else, ,maybe the mirrors.

Will report what I find after I get a chance to test.

KM
Rifle sent me the same picture, but my '08 doesn't look like the pic underneath. My problem is the top decorative 'mask'. I used electrician tape as a temp fix over the center large 'V' portion of the 'W' shaped mask during my whistle search. This helped the whistle, but I also had a cheeping noise from side winds that this fix did not fix. So now I just left of the mask altogether.

Edited 12.30.08: My '08 has the Yam gasket underneath the windshield, covering most but not all of the attaching bracketry. I tried taping &/or silicone sealing all the holes in this bracket but it did not help. The W mask on the top needs a gasket or ??? Yes I did resurrect this post, as a newbie was following the rules. And I appreciate all those before me that wrote some hints.

I test rode an '07 at the dealership and had no problems. Ordered the '08, didn't test ride it, drove it straight home and had the dam whistle as soon as I hit 35 mph. It drove me crazy!! No W, no noise!! And it don't look bad, but after installing the Rifle I intent to order in a month or so, must fix some thing. Had planned on having the Rifle NOT cut out for the mask attachment, but with the Rifle angle brackets, it might look like sh--!?

Last edited by a moderator: