03 with 1.0 front srpings - Feels heavy turning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tophog

Reaction score
I have a 2003 FJR with 12K miles. Did all the routine maintenance a month ago, including repacking front stem bearing. Had fork seal leak so I removed them and had GP Suspension do a rebuild and Dave installed 1.0 springs based on my size and riding style. I'm about 190 lbs, probably 205 with gear, occasional 2-up riding with 120 lb wife, mostly solo ...spirited riding and some freeway commuting.

He setup the forks with stock settings and it was way too stiff up front, almost like a pogo stick. I have backed off preload almost all the way out (4 lines) and currently have rebound/compression at stock settings (12-clicks out). I have the rear shock on hard, 6 clicks out.

Bike feels a lot better although the front end still feels heavy when turning at slower speeds ...almost like front tire is flat. I know the stiffer springs probably raised the front end height some which would make it harder to turn.

Curious what changes I could try on compression/rebound to make it turn easier?

I raised the forks 5mm in the triple tree per advise from Dave and it helped a lot. He told me to go 5mm-10mm as needed until I can get a Penske rear shock, of which I'm not sure I'm going to in the near future or not since the bike only has 12K miles on it.

Just as an experiment, try setting the rear preload to soft and see what that does to the balance of the bike.

Dan

I have a 2003 FJR with 12K miles. Did all the routine maintenance a month ago, including repacking front stem bearing. Had fork seal leak so I removed them and had GP Suspension do a rebuild and Dave installed 1.0 springs based on my size and riding style. I'm about 190 lbs, probably 205 with gear, occasional 2-up riding with 120 lb wife, mostly solo ...spirited riding and some freeway commuting.

He setup the forks with stock settings and it was way too stiff up front, almost like a pogo stick. I have backed off preload almost all the way out (4 lines) and currently have rebound/compression at stock settings (12-clicks out). I have the rear shock on hard, 6 clicks out.

Bike feels a lot better although the front end still feels heavy when turning at slower speeds ...almost like front tire is flat. I know the stiffer springs probably raised the front end height some which would make it harder to turn.

My '03 has .95 springs. Turns great. How about tires and/or steering stem tightness?

New PR2's front/rear, just repacked stem bearings, torqued to factory spec with stem tool ...no looseness/play.

My '03 has .95 springs. Turns great. How about tires and/or steering stem tightness?

I started with it on Soft and going to Hard seemed to help some before raising the forks.

Just as an experiment, try setting the rear preload to soft and see what that does to the balance of the bike.

Dan
Tried it on soft, since raising forks? Only takes about two seconds to move the lever. It's about the cheapest and quickest thing you can try. Doesn't sound like it'll help, but who knows.

Dan

Got an opinion for what it's worth. Reducing the GPS spring preload has not worked for me. When I have tried it, it made the front end feel heavy and harsh. Glued but harsh. I ride on really rough roads and preload set at 3 works best for me. Actually I like 1/4 turn out from 3. There is a sweet spot on that spring. It's such a subjective topic. Happy hunting! Your turn in issue is most likely tire.

38 psi front, 40 rear solo and 42 psi 2-up. This is my 2nd FJR ...had one of the first 2007's with the altitude issue which is why I sold that one with 2K miles on it (about 6 months before Yamaha recognized it as a problem). Had lots of bikes since, 2007 RT1200, Hayabusa, (2) 2005 FZ1's, ...just never felt a bike feel like this when turning. I check pressures, etc. before every time I ride and all the usual stuff. I have the front preload all the way out with 4 lines showing ...3 lines and it feels way too firm (pogo stick). I know the stiffer springs raised the front end ride height which typically increases high speed stability but makes slow turning worse and vice versa. Perhaps I need to go a few more mm on the forks.

What PSI are you running in your tires. Lower PSIs can make response feel sluggish.

Raise the front end and see how the steering actual moves , your steering bearings may be a little too tight ,Remember you repaced the bearings .

Try raising the front tire pressure to 44psi then drop it to 42 ( easier to start higher then drop ) then 40 .Do this on little test route of say no more than 5 miles .

Set rear tire at 42 psi by the way

So you recently replaced the head bearings? Did you do the torque, loosen, torque or just torque it down to the higher (first) number and leave it?

I ask because it's happened before.

No, I only packed them. I've done stem bearings on other bikes so I'm familiar with the procedure in general. I have the spanner wrench and followed the service manual procedure. The stem bearings are fine as are the tires.

So you recently replaced the head bearings? Did you do the torque, loosen, torque or just torque it down to the higher (first) number and leave it?

I ask because it's happened before.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 03 is sensitive to tires and settings too. GP did a great job setting up mine. My old springs were like yours. Too stiff and I had it backed all the way out just to get close to race settings for sag.

Like others said play with more air. I had a wilburs and now a penske adjustable ride height to raise the rear an inch. That and I steer clear of the pilot roads that made my 03 handle like a truck.

I raised the forks another 2mm and that seems to have eliminated most of the heavy-feel while turning. I'm content for now with the way it feels until I can get a rear Penske shock so I can put the fork height back at the stock setting. Thanks for all the help/feedback.

I raised the forks another 2mm and that seems to have eliminated most of the heavy-feel while turning. I'm content for now with the way it feels until I can get a rear Penske shock so I can put the fork height back at the stock setting. Thanks for all the help/feedback.
If raising the forks in the triple clamps fixed your handling problem, then you have one other option...reduce the length of the fork's internal spacers by 5-10mm.

I raised the forks another 2mm and that seems to have eliminated most of the heavy-feel while turning. I'm content for now with the way it feels until I can get a rear Penske shock so I can put the fork height back at the stock setting.
I think you're on the right track.

When MamaYama brought the '03 FJR to the U.S., the Euro FJR had stiffer (more supportive) suspension -- some different part #s for better, Euro, parts. The '03 was way overly soft (for the American market?) and was described as such by magazine testers early-on.

And..., the springs don't get any better with age -- in fact, they sag (sack...). :(

Raising the forks (lowering the front) is similar to 'raising the rear'. Many don't want the bike any taller -- but, good handling requires good chassis geometry (and, maybe?, a taller FJR).

You seem to be heading that way (Penske) -- good luck.

Latest posts