'05 ABS Wheel on '05 Non-ABS Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bionic Pelvis

Reaction score
Let me just say right up front that I'm sure this information is floating around somewhere and I have spent several hours looking for it, but I'm not turning up exactly what I need. I'm finding general references to it having been done, and I'm sure some industrious soul will be able to turn up the right info in about 8 seconds, but I am at a bit of a loss so here goes:

The hubby hit a huge rock and managed to not go down, but he did bend the crap out of his front rim. He had a 2005 non-ABS bike and I have a spare 2005 ABS rim. Can anyone shed some light on what is involved in making the swap? I've seen it mentioned that spacer modifications need to be made, but that's about it. The bike isn't here right now, but I'd really like to get whatever parts I might need on order so it doesn't tie up a lift for two weeks waiting for some OEM part I didn't know I needed.

Thank you, oh benevolent one(s)!

Wendy

Non ABS

1 5JW-25168-01-P0 CAST WHEEL, REAR S8 1 2 4XV-25117-00-00 SPACER, BEARING 1

3 93306-00420-00 BEARING 2

4 93106-28043-00 OIL SEAL 2

6 93900-00030-00 VALVE, RIM (TR412) TAIHEIYO 1

8 4XV-25181-00-00 AXLE, WHEEL 1

9 90387-2200T-00 COLLAR 1

10 5JW-25186-00-00 COLLAR, WHEEL

ABS

1 5VS-W2516-00-P0 CAST WHEEL, FRONT S8 1 2 4XV-25117-00-00 SPACER, BEARING 1

3 93306-00420-00 BEARING 2

4 93106-28043-00 OIL SEAL 2

6 93900-00030-00 VALVE, RIM (TR412) TAIHEIYO 1

8 4XV-25181-00-00 AXLE, WHEEL 1

9 90387-2200T-00 COLLAR 1

10 5VS-2517A-00-00 HOUSING, SENSOR FRONT
From what I see, everything is the same except the left side "spacer" (Item #10). On the ABS bikes the silver spacer is replaced by the ABS sensor ring.

Since you will be removing the brake disks and installing them on the new wheel, be sure to order 12 of these:

90109-064G6-00 BOLT

They are the allen head bolts that secure the disk to the rim and once removed they need to be replaced.

BTW, they are DIFFICULT to remove, unless they are heated with a propane torch. Once heated the thread locker will release and they will back right out. Trust me, they need heat or they will "round out"....then it's easy-out time!

Do check the prices on-line from this thread: Alternate FJR Parts Sources.

Zanotti's seems to have the best prices. My dealer has matched the internet price....happy shopping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome job on the detailed response MaddestMike

Wendy, I too run ABS wheels on my non ABS (GEN1 of course) and nothing is more groovy.

Your husband is on his way to Koolville ....and we're glad to have him.

The hubby hit a huge rock and managed to not go down, but he did bend the crap out of his front rim. He had a 2005 non-ABS bike and I have a spare 2005 ABS rim. Can anyone shed some light on what is involved in making the swap? I've seen it mentioned that spacer modifications need to be made, but that's about it. The bike isn't here right now, but I'd really like to get whatever parts I might need on order so it doesn't tie up a lift for two weeks waiting for some OEM part I didn't know I needed.
Thank you, oh benevolent one(s)!

Wendy

OR, sell me your good ABS front rim and put the money toward a new non-ABS rim and don't screw around with difficult bolts... PM, please?

I don't understand why the Yamaha Parts Fiche calls it a "rear" wheel?!?!

John, what exactly is different between the basic wheel? Not much, I assume, since yours bolted up.

You guys are awesome!! That's exactly the type of brilliant insight I was seeking!

Since my ABS wheel cost like $150 and a "new" non-ABS is hovering around $600, I'm propably going to go ahead and see if I can make it work. I figure if RenoJohn sez I'm a go, well...

It's probably a lie. But I'm going to try anyhow. ;)

(BTW, RJ - I hope you were enjoying your damn frosty beer while I was still slogging my way across Death Valley.)

(BTW, RJ - I hope you were enjoying your damn frosty beer while I was still slogging my way across Death Valley.)
Wendy,

Actually I was. I knew you were not feeling well, and ...Uhhhh, I knew you were also hung over (or at least should have been).

I almost pulled over with you when you exit'd at Wendover -to make sure you were feeling OK.

But, Tom and I have a relationship based on romance and I wasn't about to give that up for a chick with a runny nose.

Seriously, I hope you're feeling better, it was great fun sharing silliness with you and I hope our paths cross soon.

Death Valley? Besides wondering how you were doing, I was imagining the 7,665,987 different ways you could cut over from SLC to your home. Lots of ways to do it, not sure any are good when it's hot and you're not feeling well.

BTW, someone should bring Smitty into this thread as he's good at these things.

But, Tom and I have a relationship based on romance and I wasn't about to give that up for a chick with a runny nose.
LMAO - Ahh, if I had a nickle for every time I heard that, I'd be $0.05 richer than the guys who just "won" Hoka Hey.

I stand by my original estimate that my condition on Monday morning was 75% sick and only 25% hangover. How accurate that was, I can't say for sure, but it made me feel better to think that only 1/4 of my suffering could have been eliminated by not partying quite so hearty. After spending the day dragging myself through 115 degree temps I felt like a bucket full of butts, but I parlayed my suffering into permission to go play in Ely in a couple weeks, so it was all worth it in the end.

And so, without further ado:

ouch.jpg

Old, ouchie wheel

aaah.jpg

Voila! New, happy, non-bendy ABS wheel on non-ABS bike!

Thanks MadMike and... ahem,... RenoJohn. Piece of cake!

Just updating this thread with information about putting an ABS rear wheel on a non ABS bike.

An ABS rear wheel will work fine on a non ABS bike with one minor change: the oil seal on the brake side of the wheel. The oil seal (black rubber piece in front of wheel bearing) on the ABS wheel has a large opening for the ABS sensor. Stock ABS wheel below:

101_6475.jpg

Compare that to a stock non ABS wheel with a smaller opening in the oil seal for the spacer. Non ABS wheel below:

101_6476.jpg

It's easy to swap out the ABS oil seal for a non ABS oil seal. USE A NEW SEAL (P/N: 93102-28023-00). The seal is about $10. ABS wheel with non ABS oil seal below:

101_6477.jpg

Finally, here is the ABS wheel with non ABS oil seal and spacer mounted on a 2005 non ABS bike below:

101_6480.jpg