06 suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel

Reaction score
Hi.

I was wondering if any of the lucky new 06 owners could comment on the suspension on the new bike.......specifically from those who have owned an FJR previously.

Is it firmer, softer, same?

Are you satisfied with it in stock settings?

When I took delivery of my 05 last summer it was clearly way soft for me and I adjusted it to the spec's called for by sport rider magazine or whoever it was that reviewed the bike.

From what I've read so far I'm getting the impression the 06's are a bit firmer, but just thought I'd ask.

I'm still trying to find out if it is the exact same shock, even with the different swing arm.

Compared to the '03 FJR I had I have been very pleasantly suprised about both ride and handling: much better, IMhO. On the '03 I clicked and clacked away for almost a month trying to find settings that gave better ride compliance than a buckboard and enhanced the handling. Finally got it to an acceptable point. On smooth roads she was very good (heck, so is my 1200R Sportster!), but on the goat paths of intereconnected bumps around here...never got that impressed with her handling prowess.

OTOH, on my '06 I have not changed any settings yet; the ride is good and the handling is very good. Definate, noticeable improvement over my '03. Now the bars need risers and when will Corbin have a saddle?? Of course I did both of those to my '03, too....helped a lot for l-o-n-g range comfort.

It was lo 70s tonight when I took her out and NO heat felt from the engine. On my '03 it was noticeable even in low 70s at speed, but not tonight on the '06. This could really be the start of summthinn GOOD!!!! DFO :D

I've been on both highway and small back gravel roads and must say I don't really feel much of a difference. I haven't changed the settings from the dealer set up expcept to move the lever from soft to hard.

As far as the bars, on the 03 I had the Doug Hines risers. But the stock bars are higher now and I find them to be a great hight for me. I do a lot of driving on twisty backroads and prefer a little sportier postion.

John

I am curious to hear how the more sports type riders feel on these 06's? Dragging the pegs more or less than previous models?

One thing: the 2006 definitely feels heavier than the 2003- likely because my 03 didn't have the abs system and weight. The Yamaha site shows that the Dry Weight of the 06 is 582 lbs. vs 521 Lbs. for the 03. But is my knowing this making me think that I can feel the added wieght?

John