06 turn signals quit working today.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2bikebart

Reaction score
Headed off to work today and noticed that my turn signals were not working. No flashing of the lights or arrow on the instrument panel. Got home and swapped the fuse with the spare, sprayed electric parts cleaner in the fuse holder and it is still not working. No noise or anything. checked the hazards and they work ok. Not sure what to check next? Does the flasher relay also control the hazards and if so can I rule it out?

06 Gen II

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so does that completely rule out flasher relay since the hazards work? So do I need to look at the switch on the handlebar next? If so is there a way to test the switch?

OK, the same power source (flasher module) and lamp connections (including the ground paths) are used for the emergency 4-way flashers as the turn signals, So pretty much the only thing it can be is a connection to, or within, the turn signal switch.

There is a multi-pin connector that goes to the left handlebar switch (labeled 70 below). The turn signal switch is #74. For both turn signals to be out and the flashers still working I would first suspect the Brown w/ Green tracer wire where it connects to the brown w/ White tracer in that connector. Connector halves shown in the upper left for wire location.

SwitchgearWiring2ndGen.jpg

thanks Fred. Been busy with work so It may be this weekend before I can dig into it some more. Crazy winter weather here in SC has keep the bike in the garage for the last few days anyway!

Pulled off the tupperware unplugged the plug from the left handlebar sprayed in some QD elctronic cleaner, plugged the plug back in a few times, turned the key on and low and behold I now have turn signals! I think I am going to go on a plug cleaning binge. Bike is garage kept put a daily rider and I rode in a lot of rain this summer!

I did see a little corrosion on the black plug where the Brown w/ Green tracer wire where it connects to the brown w/ White tracer. If I had not been looking for it I probably would have missed it. Also the pins looked a little dull and chalky.

Thanks Fred!!!

You will likely find some green growth on the front turn signal connectors... someday remove black inner panels to check. Those connectors are not waterproof.