'06 Won't Start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfletch69

Reaction score
Last week I stopped for fuel, turned off the bike and filled up. Turned the key to start back up and ...nothing.

• High beam indicator on
  • both turn signal indicators on solid
  • fuel guage flashing
  • red engine light on

I have had the ignition changed and I was getting power. I spoke to the service dept at my local Yamaha dealer and they said to turn the key on and off three times quickly to reset a tip over switch. I did that and it worked...bike started & ran normally.

Fast forward one week. Stop by a friends house today - go to leave and SAME THING.

Diagnosis please. I am riding a BB1500 next weekend and do not need this right now.

Thanks

Last week I stopped for fuel, turned off the bike and filled up. Turned the key to start back up and ...nothing.

• High beam indicator on
  • both turn signal indicators on solid
  • fuel guage flashing
  • red engine light on

I have had the ignition changed and I was getting power. I spoke to the service dept at my local Yamaha dealer and they said to turn the key on and off three times quickly to reset a tip over switch. I did that and it worked...bike started & ran normally.

Fast forward one week. Stop by a friends house today - go to leave and SAME THING.

Diagnosis please. I am riding a BB1500 next weekend and do not need this right now.

Thanks
Did you have your ignition switch replaced recently? The only reason I ask is EXACTLY what happened to me when I picked my bike up AFTER the new ignition switch.

Best Regards,

Shane

Don't have time to look right now. But, there are a number of threads around, over the past few months, that deal with these exact symptoms. You are having intermittant faults with the six wire ground connector just under the heat shield in the left front of the engine compartment. If you can find it, and then wiggle it, you can repeat the symptoms. Your dealer might be able to repair the connector (they could with mine). More likely, they will have to replace the wiring harness. The connector is white, with a black cap over the top of it. Wires only go in one side. Get it looked at. It will almost certainly strand you on the side of the road.

Those symptoms have absolutely nothing to do with the main switch or the tip over sensor. It is a poorly designed grounding connector. You will have to find the connector and demonstrate the problem to the dealership. They will never find it themselves (with the exception of, and apologies to, un4gvn).

Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you have your ignition switch replaced recently? The only reason I ask is EXACTLY what happened to me when I picked my bike up AFTER the new ignition switch.

The ignition was replace in March and I have ridden 3k miles since then with no problems - until last week.

I had the same situation a couple of months ago. Here is a link to my posting.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=116604

I would lift the tank and check those grounding points mentioned in my post and others. Some have cleaned up this connector and it seems to have solved their problem.(I at least have not seen any further postings mentioning a reoccurrance) In my case a new wiring harness was installed.

I find it interesting that most of posts relating to this problem are 06 models. I also had just had the recalled ignition switch replaced just pryor to this failure, you also mention having yours replaced.

Keep us posted on what you find.

The ignition was replace in March and I have ridden 3k miles since then with no problems - until last week.
Well, that is DEFINITELY not like my experience with that problem (I got ~4 miles and then the dashboard lit up light a Christmas tree)!

Luckily there are many, many people on this board who know what they are doing so I am sure one of the tips will get you on the road soon!

Ride Safe!

Shane

So I had my mechanic look at it this week and he found the black capped grounds to be messed up. He coth the caps off, soldered them together and sealed them. I picked the bike up three days ago and had no problems at all.

This morning I was to set out on a Butt Burner 1500. I rolled the bike out of the garage at 3:30 am ready to go. Turn the key and.....the problem was back. :blink: Needless to say, I am VERY BUMMED. I am not supposed to be here right now. The sits in the garage immobile awaiting a tow on Tuesday am. Probably end up having the wiring harness replaced.

This morning I was to set out on a Butt Burner 1500. I rolled the bike out of the garage at 3:30 am ready to go. Turn the key and.....the problem was back. :blink: Needless to say, I am VERY BUMMED. I am not supposed to be here right now. The sits in the garage immobile awaiting a tow on Tuesday am. Probably end up having the wiring harness replaced.
Exactly why TurboDave is considering the WeeStrom inplace of his FJR AE for the Iron Butt this year.

Major bummer for what has been, until now, a solid platform.

Well, it did, indeed, strand you. You were very fortunate. It stranded you in your driveway. You could have been in East "Where the hell am I".

It's a pain. But, not as big a one as it could have been.

Well, it did, indeed, strand you. You were very fortunate. It stranded you in your driveway. You could have been in East "Where the hell am I".

It's a pain. But, not as big a one as it could have been.
You are correct, sir. I am glad that it happened where it did. Now I am just a guy with a dead 650lb, out of warranty bike with a mysterious electrical problem AT HOME while my buddies ride my IBA ride. :angry2: Those ST1300s don't look THAT bad.

So I had my mechanic look at it this week and he found the black capped grounds to be messed up. He coth the caps off, soldered them together and sealed them. I picked the bike up three days ago and had no problems at all.
MFLECH,

If you have ANY electrical accessories and can remove them quickly, I would recommend you do that! Yamaha has put me through such HELL for the past 7 months trying to get my bike fixed (6 months + at 3 different dealers). They spent most of the time blaming the accessories!

Good luck getting it fixed quickly!

Best Regards,

Shane

This could be parlayed into a safety recall and then you wouldn't be hit with the costs. Or, you might have spent $369 and gotten the YES in which case you'd have a 650 pound bike that would be IN warranty.

Note that your mechanic may have messed up any wiring harness replacement by cutting off the connectors from the other wires that go to the socket.

This could be parlayed into a safety recall and then you wouldn't be hit with the costs. Or, you might have spent $369 and gotten the YES in which case you'd have a 650 pound bike that would be IN warranty.
Note that your mechanic may have messed up any wiring harness replacement by cutting off the connectors from the other wires that go to the socket.
Purchased used last March 2008 with no YES warranty available. Bike now has almost 19k miles. Any ideas on the cost of a complete wiring harness? I don't think I'll be using the Yamaha dealer anyway.

I think it may be time to start a new thread to track this problem, complete with a survey!!!

I think it may be time to start a new thread to track this problem, complete with a survey!!!
I agree. It might be nice to know how many 2006 FJR AE owners are having various / intermittent electrical failures. It seems that the # is growing!

Best regards,

Shane

Shane, is your 5 months do to the mechanics not being able to correct the problem...or is it due to you trying to get Yamaha to pay for the repair? just wondering.

I am most scared of time lost while mechanics thy to "figure" this out. I had no problems until Yamaha changed the ignition. Is there a definitive solution? Sounds like a replacement of the wire harness is the fix. I need this slam dunked - even if it requires my writing a check or trading this bike in for a different brand. I have already missed one ride. :glare:

Sorry to hear of your woes. I too had the burned ground syndrome. FWIW, the dealer tech was able to replace the harness with out removing the entire front end. It took him about 6 hours, but all has been good since.

Oh - and don't a couple of things

1. Be sure to coat all new connections with dielectric

2. There are other 'spider grounds' located in sub harnesses. Be sure to coat them too.

Good luck

Shane, is your 5 months do to the mechanics not being able to correct the problem...or is it due to you trying to get Yamaha to pay for the repair? just wondering.
I am most scared of time lost while mechanics thy to "figure" this out. I had no problems until Yamaha changed the ignition. Is there a definitive solution? Sounds like a replacement of the wire harness is the fix. I need this slam dunked - even if it requires my writing a check or trading this bike in for a different brand. I have already missed one ride. :glare:
I am not really sure how to describe my problem in the context you ask other than to say: Even while Yamaha was blaming my electrical accessories, they were still advising the dealer's techs and replacing parts. The problem is that they have been going through this process since December (I had my bike in my garage from March 11 - May 4) otherwise it has been at a dealer. I mentioned the wire harness and it was only brought up once as a potential solution and then "dropped" because they started replacing the clutch components.

Yamaha has never denied any financial responsibility towards me except my towing & car rentals NEVER get any movement even when I bring them up (I have given up on them at this point) and there has never been a discussion on timeliness. I am not going to comment on the "abilities' of the Yamaha techs because unfortunately it serves me no good and the simple fact that my bike has been @ 3 different dealers with the same results (i.e. I can't figure out how to "positively" spin it without sounding like a disgruntled customer).

So far it looks like my situation is UNIQUE but it will be interesting to see how the AE situation plays out in the future if I was just the "first" one to start having intermittent / mysterious electrical problems with his 2006 FJR 1300 AE (it sucks being first)! Though it seems there is a problem developing with many 2006 AE bikes as time goes on.

I have missed many rides and I have put my family through hell (unintentionally) while I have tried to get this resolved with Yamaha. If I get my back on Tuesday as promised, it will be gone on Thursday. Sandi / I decided to not wait until we get back from vacation (don't want to chance another SHFT__26 code waiting for us when we get back)!

Hope that answers your question!

Shane