03 Won't Start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harpo

Reaction score
The other day I started the bike up an soon got a engine light but no code. Bike was running fine. I saw that the head lights were off but when they came back on the engine light went off. I was told to clean the connections behind the head light. ounce I put everything back together the bike wont turn over, the fuel pump comes on and everything else seems normal, but the motor spends but want start. any ideas?

This is unclear. First you say the bike won't turn over, which sounds like a weak or failed battery. Then you say the motor spends (spins?) but won't start. That sounds like flooding. Have you tried starting it with the throttle wide open (WOT)?
Yes. my bike's engine spins and the fuel pump comes on, but it want start. I've never had it flood beings it's fuel injected and i don't give it gas till it starts, but I'll check the plugs. Thanks

Lift the tank and remove the T-bar.Under of it there you will find some connectors.Unplug them and check for corrosion on their pins.These connectors can cause a lot of troubles!Also unplug the ECU connector and check the pins if they are in good condition.Please let us know about..

This is the one I was trying to remember versus the spider in Gen 2s. Agree it's possible.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/ignition-siwtch-failures.108887/
Don't know about this 'spider', but I've had to resolder the connections in my ignition switch twice. Once when there was no nothing when I turned the ignition switch on. The second time, I had lights, camera, but no action. Reheated/Resoldered all of the points. Now, no problemo. If I recall, there are four solder points in the switch. At least on the first gen. All of them looked cold soldered. Should have resoldered all of them the first time.

Lift the tank and remove the T-bar.Under of it there you will find some connectors.Unplug them and check for corrosion on their pins.These connectors can cause a lot of troubles!Also unplug the ECU connector and check the pins if they are in good condition.Please let us know about..
Good suggestion. I had cleaned mine years ago but I'm back in there just to check a few things as my '05 is very randomly doing the same thing as the OP. For me, cold start or warm, it will crank normal but doesn't fire immediately as normal. Key off/on, normal fuel pump cycle etc.... and it then it starts on 2nd or 3rd attempt. So I'm under tank just checking basics but not expecting to find any smoking gun. TINY bit of green oxidation in one of those large harness connectors, changed plugs (35Kmiles), coolant change, 2 small coolant hoses replaced (back-ordered from previous work), fuel pressure confirmed at 40psi, fuel pump filter change is next, TB synch and then back together. Will that solve issue.... I don't know.
Regards,
Mr. BR
FJR harness plug.jpg

Last edited:
Good suggestion. I had cleaned mine years ago but I'm back in there just to check a few things as my '05 is very randomly doing the same thing as the OP. For me, cold start or warm, it will crank normal but doesn't fire immediately as normal. Key off/on, normal fuel pump cycle etc.... and it then it starts on 2nd or 3rd attempt. So I'm under tank just checking basics but not expecting to find any smoking gun. TINY bit of green oxidation in one of those large harness connectors, changed plugs (35Kmiles), coolant change, 2 small coolant hoses replaced (back-ordered from previous work), fuel pressure confirmed at 40psi, fuel pump filter change is next, TB synch and then back together. Will that solve issue.... I don't know.
Regards,
Mr. BR
View attachment 5769
Also remove the ECU connector and check the pins there for any corrosion.If the problem remains,then perhaps the ignition switch started to fail..Also on what colour wire/pin you found the green oxidation?Only on one or to all the connector pins if you remember?

One of the first things I did when I bought my FJR was check all the electrical connections. Shot them all with ACF-50. Penetrates, kills corrosion and leaves a protective film. It's used in aircraft. Excellent stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/ACF-50-Anti-...97&keywords=acf50+spray&qid=1697894633&sr=8-6
Thank you for that tip. I just got my FJR 2 weeks ago and after reading these comments started to feel uneasy about this bike. I will follow your advice. Thanks

Thank you for that tip. I just got my FJR 2 weeks ago and after reading these comments started to feel uneasy about this bike. I will follow your advice. Thanks
What year is your FJR? There are major differences in electrical systems/issues between GenI, II and III. While people (myself included) point out potential problems with these bikes, it is all relative. Overall, Yamahas in general and FJRs specifically, are among the most reliable motorcycles ever produced. Issues are extremely well documented and can normally be easily addressed.

Oh, welcome to the forum...

Don't be paranoid that the bike is going to blow up under you. Like Ross said, very reliable. And any issue that pops up you can turn to here and with the search function get it sorted easily.

I bought my bike on Jan. 3 I think it was. Trailered it home in 20 degree weather. I had nothing better to do for the next 2 months so I practically took the bike apart as a learning thing. Former systems engineer so I'm kinda anal that way. ;)

Also remove the ECU connector and check the pins there for any corrosion.If the problem remains,then perhaps the ignition switch started to fail..Also on what colour wire/pin you found the green oxidation?Only on one or to all the connector pins if you remember?
TBD on pulling the ECU connector for now but I may pull the ignition switch while I'm in there... I don't recall which exact wire it but it was on the female connector side and was one of the outer-most wires on the narrow side of the plastic housing. All pins looked pretty good overall as I had been in there at least 5+ years ago and cleaned them pretty good.

I agree with the ignition switch as the likely culprit. Its a dual-pole switch, with one circuit being what you think it is, the power to the bike. The other circuit connects the sidestand switch to the ECU, and if that circuit is not connected in the switch, the ECU thinks the sidestand is down, bike won't fire.