10 Gallon Frankentank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thought was that the bars would hit,even with the risers, but they do clear. They don't have a lot of finger clearance, but that was discussed before hand. The cables just barely touch and just enough room for fingers. When I get it done I will throw it on my 06 to show what it looks like. Also if you go to you tube and click on the "dirttracker30" channel I actually have a short vid of it sitting on the bike .
Looks great to me.

Nice shop as well. Wish I had something like that.

no plans to go bigger. as far as Heli bars and clamps go ,I don't know. I am glad I had my 06 to fit this tank on, because the first time I sat it on ,the tank hit the clamps ,so I spent a afternoon cutting it apart an taking a section out of the front center top so I could put a little rearward slope to the front and still have the rear angle,because the center hump /filler hole is moved foward about a 1" to 1 1/4.As it sits the clamp clears by about 1/8 " just about ready for paint.
davestank005.jpg
davestank006.jpg
davestank007.jpg

Very nice DT30!

My tank gets about 120 miles in before it comes off full. That is riding two up pulling the trailer.
He isn't slow either, on our recent Utah trip together he was smiling while Beamer's & my butt cheeks were pucker till we found fuel. The first place we got to to get fuel the whole town was with out power!

What steps did you have to take to prep the tank for cutting & welding up?

I have never wanted to weld on a fuel take... scare the Beezusus out of me!!

I bought this tank off of Ebay. It was dry when I got it. If not ,I would just wash it out with soapy water,drain and light a match and peek in the fuel pump hole to see if there is any fluid left before cutting and welding. (not responsible if this is done-disclaimer). I would never attempt this if the tank was just drained, but with the fuel pump out and the cap off,if it sat for a few days it would be a go

Is warping a big issue when cutting & welding a tank up? I am not sure how thin the metal is or is that is a factor with curved sections...

Did you have to allow over-lap on the panels where you brazed them together? ...is that why your supporting rods are placed well away from the seams?

Top-notch work... tank looks great!

What steps did you have to take to prep the tank for cutting & welding up?

I have never wanted to weld on a fuel take... scare the Beezusus out of me!!
About a hundred years ago when my Tiger Cub fuel tank seam needed re-welding, the shop that did it told me to run a hose into the tank for 24 hours before they'd touch it with a flame. I think that was probably excessive, but I did what he asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is warping a big issue when cutting & welding a tank up? I am not sure how thin the metal is or is that is a factor with curved sections...

Did you have to allow over-lap on the panels where you brazed them together? ...is that why your supporting rods are placed well away from the seams?

Top-notch work... tank looks great!
The tank is 22 guage(very thin),my panels are 20 guage. I make a pattern with a 1/8 overlap on the sides ,scribe it so I know when it is right to spot weld, I mig weld with .023 wire grind and then I brazed over welds to seal pinholes at very low heat skipping around tank to keep warpage to minimum. There is some bondo involved ,because there is no way to avoid that to get it to paint stage

Very nice work on that tank. For those who are wondering about welding on gas containers, it brings to mind a story from long ago. The relatives had a very large farm up in Oregon of over 500 acres, huge tractors, and loads of equipment. They had a beautiful shop with room for two tractors in bays, and then about a 30x30 shop with all the welding equipment and lathes and tons of tools. For some reason they decided they needed to cut a 55 gallon drum up for use on something, and this was a gas container. So they drained it and ran the hose and filled and drained several times, and let it set for a week and thought they were safe. You may have already guessed the sad ending. The instant the torch hit that can the resultant explosion blew my uncle out of the shop through a luckily open doorway into the yard. The boom could be heard for a mile and shifted the shop portion on the concrete slab a foot off the foundation. The interior was considerably trashed as you might expect. Gas fumes can be hugely entertaining. Uncle survived thanks to the open door.....