10 Gallon Frankentank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shoot, some folks don't understand the need for a stock FJR, what with it being so slow, heavy, and with the poor handling in the corners. Oh sure, some people think they are fast and handle well, but compared to others it's a big pig. But that big pig meets the needs of some folks more than something that weighs less with more HP. It's all about the individual and either finding that bike that fits their needs or getting close, and then making the necessary changes to fit the needs.

Nice job, looks well made.
I just don't get the "need" for a 10 gal tank though, and the additional weight of almost 4 more gallons of fuel?

I believe a gal of gas weighs about 11lbs or so.

I mean the 6.6 gal is good for 240 or so miles and after that I'm ready for a break anyway!
Try 6 lbs.

Just cause you don't 'get it' doesn't mean everybody else doesn't either.
I didn't say they didn't.
I read this perspective and it saddens me.

The fjr is such a great bike and has broad appeal: great on the twisties, grinds away the miles under the wheels and looks styled to the tens sitting parked in the street.

What a great bike!

No one "needs" an fjr. No one.

We are free to enjoy the great package the factory put together, and we are free to use this offering to further improve upon.

No one "needs" to paint the fjr another color. No one "needs" to change-out the suspension pieces. No one "needs" to add extra luggage, or lights, or cruise control, or custom seats.

Of course, the fjr group consists of those who take their love of something and crank it up a notch. They use the tools and abilities they possess to take Yamaha's offering, mold & shape it with their talents, and present their labor of love for inspection.

A concept.

It is no secret that many increase the fuel capacity of the fjr via fuel cells, and this requires surrendering the passenger aspect of the fjr, adding additional plumbing, and making a change in how traveling gear will be dealt with.

Frankentank deals with the downsides of extra fuel capacity and does not require surrendering the fluid styling of the fjr. The modification would not garnish a second glance from the uninitiated!

It looks just that elegant!

Perhaps it is my twisted feeling as a Vet that invokes the response that it does, but "need" sends goosebumps down my spine. This word serves no good purpose but to limit others under the banner of political correctness, is used to herd the thinkers and innovators back into the fold, and helps bury once in for all that term "Yankee Ingenuity".

We may not need a Frankentank, but we need to appreciate what this effort represents & not condemn a talented man's abilities. We need to appreciate freedom over ignorance.
Freedom over ignorance?? Getting pretty deep there!!

I never said he shouldn't have the freedom to Mod his bike.
C'mon Dencouch it was just a comment, I don't see the need for more fuel, I guess HE does, and I'm ok with that.I would think people would be ok with me not seeing the use for it.

I said it looked well made and he did a good job.

BTW.....many of those accessories you listed are needed. If your ass gets sore you may need a custom seat, if you take long trips you may need more luggage, if you have a hard time seeing at night you may need more lighting, if you ride aggressive in the twisties you need better suspension ect.......

Last edited by a moderator:
but needing more than 250 miles of fuel??
It WAS built for a guy doing the IBR. Figure all the gas stops he can cut out and that can equal time to gather up a few extra bonuses which could mean a difference in finishing order. Or that haul to Hyder at night past many closed gas stations...those extra gallons of gas could come in really handy.

but needing more than 250 miles of fuel??
It WAS built for a guy doing the IBR. Figure all the gas stops he can cut out and that can equal time to gather up a few extra bonuses which could mean a difference in finishing order. Or that haul to Hyder at night past many closed gas stations...those extra gallons of gas could come in really handy.
Ok now THAT i understand, Thanks for clearing that up for me!

I just want to ride to work all week without having to stop for gas....
This. 60 mile round trip to work daily...that eats up some gas. And thanks to some traffic and some manhandling of the throttle, I don't get 250 miles per tank.
biggrin.png

DT does great work. I highly recommend. His communications were great, he really wants to give you what will meet your needs, and his fabrication skills are excellent.
I couldn't be happier - and DT will be able to tell you there was NO issue making sure payment - in full - was quickly and happliy made.

D.
Hi Dave, Thanks . Are you hoping to be able to ride out from Ohio to FL or is the weather going to force a trailer into the equation? I am playing it one day at a time. If no Ice and steady temps ,I will probably try riding out of the garage again. I really want to know if your ass can take sitting on that thing for a complete tankful now(LOL),Jim
I'm riding to Florida, DT.

In other news, I've already done a full tank (carrying with a gallon can o' gas to run the thing to exhaustion) and pulled 415 miles averaging 42.9MPG at 63.7 mph average speed. I put the 1 gal in, rode 17 miles for gas, then added 9.6 to fill it. I believe there is closer to 10.2 in the tank and about .4 is unusable by the pump. All-in-all I'm pleased with the range and the performance.

And yes, with my new seat, I can sit from fill to fill - as long as my bladder cooperates!

D.