11th Annual West Coast “Because We Can” Ride-To-Eat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm back. A nice little 300 miler for lunch. Sorry Ann and I didn't get to talk to too many FJR family members, but we arrived late and sat where we sat. I think I saw carver there, but I wasn't sure if he was the skinny guy with grey hair, or the other grey haired guy with the fancy multicolored suit?

Last edited by a moderator:
This group has always supported "Bite The Wieenie" and "Because We Can". Thank you FJR riders who attended this!

Saturday, December 28, Old Town Orcutt, California, 11:00 AM.

Damn, another typical California day … 70°F warm, sunny, beautiful blue sky with patches of cumulus clouds across the horizons. All roads to Old Town Orcutt, California were dry and fast, the LEO presence was minimal, for all it felt like motorcycle nirvana!

Approximately 70 riders from California, Washington, Arizona, Texas, Nevada, many on multi-day rides, gathered at The Far Western Tavern for the 11th annual “Because We Can … ride!” also known as “Meat and Greet.

For the longest ride Doug Graves (07 H-D Ultra) from Camas, WA rode 950 miles in some tough freezing fog conditions near the OR/CA border. Bob Still (13 BMW F800GT) from San Tan Valley, AZ rode 608 miles. Jim Hoffman (07 FJR) from Texas has been visiting in Chino for a while so doesn’t get TX credit.

Rides: BMW’s were in abundance with 20+, Harley-Davidson’s followed with 13+, Yamaha’s 12+, Honda’s 9, Suzuki’s 3, and assorted others.

The lunch started with some introductions, followed by a count-down of past Iron Butt Rally participants. Rosie and Tom Sperry were the last standing with 4 Iron Butt Rally’s under their belts.

We all hoisted a beverage to us (to all that showed up because we could ride today) then toasted our less fortunate friends in the frozen northeastlands, who can’t ride today or this month. We are aware that many of our LD riding brethren in the northeast are under extreme and dangerous weather conditions and hope and pray all recover to ride with us on another day.

A hot cup of coffee and a sizzling, rare Bullzeye Ribeye steak was a perfect turn-point lunch for the warm end-of-year ride!

By 1:30 PM the parking lot was clear of motorcycles.

Happy New Years to all!!

Dean Tanji
Hooligan and "Because We Can" Grand Poo Baah

Latest posts