12V Access While Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBFJR

Reaction score
Guys,

Be gentle on me. I have an 06 FJR and an 04 Kawa Vulcan 1600. I have a Garmin GPS on the Vulcan that I want to move to the FJR. I know it has a powerport under the access door on the left side, but how do you get to the power and still close the top door? Bottom line, how do all you guys with GPS/ radar/etc. access 12v volt power while riding?

BTW, I've been lurking here a while and find it to be a GREAT source of info. Looking forard to doing some of the free mods int he very near future. I usually put 10-12K miles a year on a bike so I'm figuring the FJR will get well north of that, it's so damn fun to ride!

Thanks,

Bob

Do some searches for power distribution blocks. There are all kinds of ways to get power from the addition of powerlet plug ins to fuse blocks. Some power up a tank bag and have all their hookups in the bag. The option is yours. Also check some of the other sites such as micapeak and the FJR tech site. Also the STN site is useful.

I know it has a powerport under the access door on the left side, but how do you get to the power and still close the top door?
Good question. One that puzzles me and many others.

No simple answer on the GPS power questions and Search will find you a lot of things given the terms brought up in this thread.

In my case, I ran a dedicated power from the battery for GPS as I wanted it to be powered even if the ignition was off. Personal taste. Seen it switched, powered via tank bag, and off a Powerlet installed in the various panels and even off fairing installs.

On my '06 I added a fused cig lighter to the spot where the switch for grip heaters would be to run GPS & have power all the time ( no ignition switch off).

Guys,
Be gentle on me. I have an 06 FJR and an 04 Kawa Vulcan 1600. I have a Garmin GPS on the Vulcan that I want to move to the FJR. I know it has a powerport under the access door on the left side, but how do you get to the power and still close the top door? Bottom line, how do all you guys with GPS/ radar/etc. access 12v volt power while riding?

BTW, I've been lurking here a while and find it to be a GREAT source of info. Looking forard to doing some of the free mods int he very near future. I usually put 10-12K miles a year on a bike so I'm figuring the FJR will get well north of that, it's so damn fun to ride!

Thanks,

Bob
LOOK very close! Is there not a knock-out plug at the bottom you can remove for bottom access??

All good answers here so far. My suggestion is to add another power outlet (powerlet) I have one on the right hand side just above and back of the battery. It is alive all the time. That is where my GPS plugs in or where my battery tender plugs in to keep the battery charged.

I've got a powerlet on the right front panel direct to the battery. Just tied a Hella (same as the powerlet) into my Blue Sea and just pull it out from under the seat to plug in heated vest. The second one is switched, the first is always hot.

I use the stock outlet on the left side for my satellite radio (which I only plug in for long trips). I have hardwired my GPS, and added a powerlet for for heated jacket liner. The stock power outlet is good for something you only use occasionally.

There is room under the lip of the door to snake the power cord out and still close the access door.

VM

Not sure of other years but the '06 has a large rubber plug in the bottom made to run wires out. I liked the idea of putting second always on plug in the small removable square where the grip heater switch would go, If I change my mind later the small plastic piece would be cheap to replace later...

Thanks for all the input! I'll get the flashlight out and check on the removable plugs in the acc case on the left side, that would be the best. And I like the idea of a second outlet in the grip heater space. Those were some great pix and advice, I'll learn a lot here.

Bob