'17 ES install Stebel Nautilus

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get the PIAA is easier to mount. I get wiring the horns in parallel is easy-peasy with good wire dress. NTL, for me, the name of the game is LOUD.
omg2.gif

Sigh... my former BMW is now on a flatbed to I don't want to know where. Before it left, I rechecked the Stebel mount. I got lucky with being able to re-use the beep-beep horn mounting strut. Clearly that isn't an option with the FJR. But happen the Strebel will.

FWIW, this is the flasher that's going to happen. As soon as I know how to insert it, without chopping up wiring, into the brake light wiring. It's not for everyone, but it's the one for me.
smile.png

^^^^THANKS Ross, that's the one. RBE, that right there is the best mounting location for functionality. It's not obstructed by the front wheel, it won't interfere with your turning, and it won't hit anything at full compression. In a right hand fall-over, it doubles as a slider, and just seeing that let's people know you mean business. I'd love to see that on a newer bike!!

You know I'm mostly messing with you, right? I'd be more help, but I have no idea where to mount that thing inside the wheel well; although, I know its been done. I want to say I recall "trimming plastic" as part of the necessary modifications to make it fit.

AND, dayum, 4000 likes. Wow, with that and $2.00, I can get a cup of coffee at McDonalds!

Nothing like a bit of levity first thing in the morning.

Staring at the stock horn, I think a single bracket, made from something more substantial than aluminum, will work for the Stebel. I need to figure out how much clearance there is with the forks at full lock to the left. If the location works, wiring is dead simple. It's a short run to the battery and mounting the relay may come down to figuring out how to clamp the relay in place.

The idea of the strap across the top of the radiator, with the horn in the middle, has merit. However the horn may be blocking an appreciable part of the radiator.

(Edit for typos)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you mount the Stebel yet?

I made a bracket to mount a Stebel on my 07 under the lower triple tree as I posted in this thread:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=112666&view=findpost&p=520719

I also kept the stock horns to add to the noise. Later I replaced the stock horns with a set of PIAA Sport horns and loved the volume increase. :evil:

The first horn died and the second one died also. I do ride all year long and in lots of rain, so it's a rough life for the air horn. The PIAA Sport horns are still working and I haven't bought yet another Stebel because the PIAA's are pretty good and last a long time.

@Harald Unfortunately, your photo host lost interest in hosting the pictures in your original post. Can you find a new host?

Did you install the "snorkel" for the horn? There's a little hose barb and mount that snaps into the compressor. Run the hose to a place that will stay dry, and all should be well.

Re: PIAA's - pretty good doesn't cut it. I want "NOW THAT I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION..."

LOUDER IS ALWAYS BETTER. If I could, I'd use a big rig air horn. Or a train horn. That would wake up everyone in a 2 block radius.
punk.gif

2 block radius? That's for amateurs. I want a horn that terrifies children to run to their mamas, whose hair turns white in fright, and causes grandparents to remember the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth and all of that happens 2 counties away. Bwahahahahaha...

@Harald Unfortunately, your photo host lost interest in hosting the pictures in your original post. Can you find a new host?
Did you install the "snorkel" for the horn? There's a little hose barb and mount that snaps into the compressor. Run the hose to a place that will stay dry, and all should be well.

Re: PIAA's - pretty good doesn't cut it. I want "NOW THAT I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION..."
I haven't had time to investigate a new host, but can email you the pictures. Send me your email via PM if you want them.

I did put a short hose on the compressor inlet, but maybe I should have ran a longer hose somewhere drier.