180/55ZR-17 B = BMW K1200GT & R1200RT; Yamaha FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duezzer

Reaction score
Redwood Meadows,Alberta - SW of Calgary on Hwy 22
Hi there

Looking for a set of PR2s and came accross --- 180/55ZR-17 B = BMW K1200GT & R1200RT; Yamaha FJR1300 fitment

This tire with the B on it is $30 more than the non B

Whats the scoop here

Couldn't find anything about it on the Michellin web site

Thanks

They're for heavy ST bikes. Stiffer sidewall and, at least in the case of Pirelli's 'E' spec, an extra ply on the carcas.

If you're large, ride a lot of 2 up or with heavy loads on the bike those are the ones you wNt otherwise the regular ones are fine

Metzler R6 roadtecs are a very good tire for heavy loads. Very stable in turns fully loaded, 2 up! Good mileage as well, I get about 12K per set! just put a new set on last night, getting the bike ready for the Land of Enchantment 1000 in a few weeks. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I rode the regular pr2's all the way to Prudoe Bay Alaska and back to my home in Nor Cal with out any problems.

Prior to that I ran a set mostly 2 up. I like everything about these tires except the price

See this thread for more explanation of the Pilot Road 2 B. Linky

The Pilot Road 2 B can be identified by a third Polymide ply in the tread and sidewall.

Michelin, Pirelli and Bridgestone produce and reccomend STRONGLY the use of tires with reinforced sidewalls on heavy, powerfull bikes like the ST's. These three companies all ended up at the same place after spending lots of dollars on extensive testing. They are not the least bit interested in your 30 bucks as most mfgs make less on specialty application tires like these. Knowing the extent that these companies test would make me reluctant to use any manufacturer who's had a "same tire for all" application approach. Their application are often the result of restricted manufacturing flexibility rather than engineering preferences. No these tires do not have a higher load capacity. That can only be raised by increasing the air volume in the tire. (larger size or higher pressure) Will a non reinforced tire work? Sure, but performance decreases rapidly with lower air pressure (which we all have at times), higher loads and hotter pavement temperatures.

Unless you weigh 150lbs, never ride 2 up, check your air pressures religiously before riding and live in Canada - pay the $30.