181 in a 75: 20 Fastest Speeding Tickets in Texas in 2017

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother got a verbal warning for 102 in a 70 a couple of weeks back.

He was driving home after work (about midnight) and had several cars want to hover either in his blind spots or riding his ass tailgating (with little other traffic around). From past experience, he and I have learned these people don't maintain current speed unless they can remain tethered to us. Create a little distance and they drop back to a lower speed that they are comfortable with. My response is to either slow down so much they break off or try to change lanes while pulling ahead.

This night, he would speed up, break the tether, and then slow back to his lower cruising speed. He'd had to do ti 3 times already, when the next joker dropped in between him and the next car... some distance back. This car pulled in close and stayed there, so me brother created a gap and was starting to slow back down when that tailgater hit his lights and pulled my brother over.

ENTRAPMENT says I (I wasn't there)!

Calmer heads prevailed, what was done was explained, and my brother was told to slow it down.

Last edited by a moderator:
EXACTLY, Bounce!!! As motorcyclists, I think we're especially sensitive about the dangers posed by other motorists, and therefore seek to ride or drive in an uncongested space that maximizes our margin of safety.* But I have never heard a better expalantion of what seems to be going on with too many clueless cagers that want to interfere with our conscious safety strategy.

Good on your brother for having gotten that rare verbal warning in the face of a 30+ over citation. And kudos to the LEO for recognizing the wisdom your brother was exhibiting.

* No explanation offered for pirates' proclivity for riding in tight formations, however.

exskibum posted: <snip> * No explanation offered for pirates' proclivity for riding in tight formations, however.
I have a buddy that rides a Big H-D. He's often ridden beside me in the same lane, handlebar to handlebar, for up to 45 minutes at a time. This is a guy I know, however, and I trust his riding abilities.

It's a really cool rush to roll down the highway in synchronization with a fellow rider -- even though my riceburner and Big Banana Aerostich are in stark contrast to his half-helmet, his whip/tail thing on the left handgrip, his apehangers, and his electric blue paintshaker bike.

Thanks for the explanation.
omg2.gif

My brother got a verbal warning for 102 in a 70 a couple of weeks back.
He was driving home after work (about midnight) and had several cars want to hover either in his blind spots or riding his ass tailgating (with little other traffic around). From past experience, he and I have learned these people don't maintain current speed unless they can remain tethered to us. Create a little distance and they drop back to a lower speed that they are comfortable with. My response is to either slow down so much they break off or try to change lanes while pulling ahead.

This night, he would speed up, break the tether, and then slow back to his lower cruising speed. He'd had to do ti 3 times already, when the next joker dropped in between him and the next car... some distance back. This car pulled in close and stayed there, so me brother created a gap and was starting to slow back down when that tailgater hit his lights and pulled my brother over.

ENTRAPMENT says I (I wasn't there)!

Calmer heads prevailed, what was done was explained, and my brother was told to slow it down.
I've gotten the evil eye a few times by LEO with a hand signal to slow it down for reasons similar. Last time, last summer, I hit about 115 in a 65 before I cleared the crowd. Noticed a mile or two down the hwy that a deputy had followed me through and was hugging my tail. We rode along like that at 70-ish for a few miles then he went on his way with a head nod as he passed. I figured he was just checking the plate, etc.

So, hold on. If I get behind someone and they run up to 100mph, that's entrapment? Bwaaaaaaahahahahahahaha...The use of that word during a stop like that will just about guarantee it goes from speeding to reckless driving, and they'll get a free tour of the jail.

Sorry, but the bullshit, "I don't like people close to me becasue I'm such an excellent driver" excuse is exactly that: a bullshit excuse. Almost as dumb as, "I have to shit really bad." Dang, for some reason those stops seem to take a long time.

Zilla - pretty sure Bounce's use of the word "entrapment" in a traffic context was a tongue in cheek play on the physical circumstance of being boxed in as much as an attempt at comedy.
laugh.png

And the part you call bullshit re: being an excellent driver eludes me, too. I am painfully aware of how many drivers are high, stressed, inattentive and/or distracted. Far too many drivers spend precious little effort even to keep all 4 wheels between the lines. So I'd prefer not to be boxed in, tailgated or have someone set up camp in my blind spot for miles when there is room on the road to have some safety enhancing space around me. I just don't feel like betting my safety on the odds that the texting driver next to me isn't paying attention for the wrong few seconds.
this.gif

My last ticket (2008) was for 72 in a 55 at the end of a passing lane where I'd used the FJR's power to get clear. I didn't think my thought process for that exhibition of Yamaha acceleration and braking would make any difference to the LEO sitting at the end of the passing lane with LIDAR. But duuuude - I've seen you ride, and surely you aren't gonna claim an unfamiliarity with the twist grip on the right bar or the brake lever needed to abruptly scrub off the results?!?! Bwahahahaha!!!!!
rolleyes.gif
blum.gif

So, hold on. If I get behind someone and they run up to 100mph, that's entrapment? Bwaaaaaaahahahahahahaha...The use of that word during a stop like that will just about guarantee it goes from speeding to reckless driving, and they'll get a free tour of the jail.
Sorry, but the bullshit, "I don't like people close to me becasue I'm such an excellent driver" excuse is exactly that: a bullshit excuse. Almost as dumb as, "I have to shit really bad." Dang, for some reason those stops seem to take a long time.
So "entrapment" wasn't the accurate legal term. But a less descriptive phrase might be encouraging someone to break the law by following dangerously closely enough that a LEO would pull the cop over if he was a civilian.

So, hold on. If I get behind someone and they run up to 100mph, that's entrapment? Bwaaaaaaahahahahahahaha...The use of that word during a stop like that will just about guarantee it goes from speeding to reckless driving, and they'll get a free tour of the jail.Sorry, but the bullshit, "I don't like people close to me becasue I'm such an excellent driver" excuse is exactly that: a bullshit excuse. Almost as dumb as, "I have to shit really bad." Dang, for some reason those stops seem to take a long time.
So "entrapment" wasn't the accurate legal term. But a less descriptive phrase might be encouraging someone to break the law by following dangerously closely enough that a LEO would pull the cop over if he was a civilian.
Now, I think I see what you were saying Bounce. I had a different picture in my crazy little head.

If was on someone's ass, like, within a one second following distance and they punched it for a few seconds to get away from me, I would need to adjust my driving habits. If I was just behind someone and they decided they should be a mile ahead of me, for no good reason, then we'd have a conversation. Regardless, you would be amazed at the number of bad drivers that are instant roadside lawyers and want to give me the legal rationalization behind why they were driving the way they were. Every presentation ends with how I should take it upon myself took the other way, because they're not breaking the law. Every one else is. This is especially entertaining when the person is drunk. Lol...

Tucked in very tight to the back of his car.

No attempt to talk his way out of it; just explained why he did what he did. He even said the cop could see him slowing back down before he hit his lights (once he got several car lengths between them).

He was as surprised at the verbal warning as I was.

Since we're NEPRT....

I'm not proud of it, but in my life, I've been pulled over for speeding at least 20 times, and likely more. I've been ticketed perhaps 1 out of every 4, and likely less.

Why am I so lucky? These are my theories:

1. Body Language: Show 'em your hands. Assume a humbling posture and a face that isn't aggressive, pissed off, or any inkling of a "meanie face".

2. Honesty: "Yes sir, I was speeding." Tell the truth. Sometimes the reason is at least somewhat reasonable. "I'm watching that weather behind me and I'm trying to get to the next town quickly and take cover." "I've got 700 miles to go today and I'm just trying to make time." Whatever the case may be. Unless of course the reason is "The FJR forum said my bike can go 156 in low wind conditions and I was testing that out!" It helps to throw in a quip about the trip. "I've been on my bike all week just living the dream". Puts reality into it.

3. Maintain a clean driving record. When I get a ticket, I take the safety course, pay the extra extortion, call the District Attorney and plead.... whatever it takes to make sure that when I'm pulled over, my record is clean.

4. Ask the officer for Consideration. Before the officer goes back to his/her unit, politely and matter of factly ask for a warning. Tell him/her I have a clean record and I will slow down. The worst thing that can happen is fixing to happen anyway. I've got nothing to lose.

I'd be interested in hearing from our LEO members regarding these ideas, and any others that may be offered.

There is NO good reason ever to argue with a LEO on the scene. Even less to be a memorable asshole. I wont go so far as to staight up admit to the charges, but am always polite and sincerely contrite. Otherwise, I agree with everything pants says. I will almost always contest the citation in court,* however, and do the traffic school alternative if I lose. Paying a citation is one thing, but losing the good driver insurance discount for three years demonstrates who really benefits in this game.

* In a jurisdiction where it is available (e.g., California), I contest the citation via trial by declaration first, and if I lose that, then Ill request a trial de novo, where the officer has to come to court and make the case via testimony to the court. Ive been acquitted in two trials by declaration, one of which specifically note the the reason was the officers failure to submit a responsive declaration. Why isnt certain, but if Id been a memorable asshole to the cop, I suspect his responsive declaration would have been more likely. I also suspect that when cited at 100 over, there is little you can do re: not being memorable.

Latest posts