190/50R17 PR3 installed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pawfeejer

Reaction score
Due to a shipping slip-up, I wound up with a pilot road 3 in size 190/50 rather than the requested 180/55.

I went online and saw a few posts about this tire size on a feejer, with some suggesting it would not work. But I decided to give it a try.

So I can add one more data point: the tire went on with no problems, and fits without any clearance issues.

Due to a shipping slip-up, I wound up with a pilot road 3 in size 190/50 rather than the requested 180/55.

I went online and saw a few posts about this tire size on a feejer, with some suggesting it would not work. But I decided to give it a try.

So I can add one more data point: the tire went on with no problems, and fits without any clearance issues.
No doubt it will fit. It will just require more effort to get it to turn. You'll prolly forget all about it in a few hundred miles.

Yes, please keep us up on how it wears and what you think of that size. Are there any noticeable speedo errors - well more than usual - or other issues?

Been done a few times. Fit hasn't been a problem...but the tire is closer to the brake stay.

One forum-ite was doing all two-up riding and thought a 190 section would provide a wider footprint and greater mileage. IIRC, there wasn't any advantage, so he ended going back to the standard fitment.

--G

190/55-17 Is what I use on my FJR.I'm on my third. The circumference is the same as a 180/55 [within a mm or so] so doesn't affect the speedo or gas mileage. A 190/50 is about 1/2 inch less circumference. Might be harder to mount but I didn't notice. Turn in might be slower but I didn't notice that either [Lorenzo might]. I get @9000 miles on a PR2. I like it 'cause it looks better and not nearly as weird as a CT and my balls didn't fall off either [last time I looked]...

Thanks for the post! I've got a used track day tire in that size; now I know I can use it on the FJR.

Theoretically, the 190/50 should be ~8 mm less outside diameter than a 180/55. And less than half an inch wider. I didn't try to measure. The change in diameter should introduce about a 1% speedo error (with new tire, actual speed would be 1% less than with old tire, at same rpms). Or another way to look at it is I just geared the bike 1% lower. I doubt I'll feel the difference; the change from five-year-old, worn-out Metzelers to new PR3s will be a bigger change.

Theoretically, the 190/50 should be ~8 mm less outside diameter than a 180/55. And less than half an inch wider. I didn't try to measure. The change in diameter should introduce about a 1% speedo error (with new tire, actual speed would be 1% less than with old tire, at same rpms). Or another way to look at it is I just geared the bike 1% lower. I doubt I'll feel the difference; the change from five-year-old, worn-out Metzelers to new PR3s will be a bigger change.
You get 5 years out of tires?????

How often does your bike leave the garage? :p :p :p

HOWIE, BE NICE!

HOWIE, BE NICE!
Carver, I'm bettin' pawfeejer is WAAAAAAY too cool to be upset, but let's seek the the truth to MY response....

Have you EVER got 5 years out of a set of bike tires? Really???

No, I don't get five years out of tires - I bought my '07 (built 12/06) in 2010, with 1200 miles on it, and the original tires.

I put ~150 miles on the new tires today. South Georgia, so no hills and not many curves - can't say that I could notice the difference in tire size. New tire looks wide; so did the old one.

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shoveling gets me this, yes it's officially dug up now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------//

I went to Motorcyclesuperstore and see the PR2 rear can be ordered as a 190/55 ZR17 (just a bit less than an inch wider but still fit-able on the FJR)

This thread was originally for the bit shorter 190/50 but I'm thinking the same circumference 55's. So any thoughts on these wider tires now this has been done quite awhile ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to Motorcyclesuperstore and see the PR2 rear can be ordered as a 190/55 ZR17 (just a bit less than an inch wider but still fit-able on the FJR)

This thread was originally for the bit shorter 190/50 but I'm thinking the same circumference 55's. So any thoughts on these wider tires now this has been done quite awhile ago?
Can't be any worse than putting a car tire on the rear. Get it if you want it.

//------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---

I think that you may be missing something here, KJ.

The 190 describes the tire width in mm. The next number describes the aspect ratio of the tire height vs width) so a 190/55 is 190 mm wide and 55% of 190 is 104.5 mm tall in the sidewall. A 180/55 is only 99mm tall there, times two (there are two side walls) means that the tire will be 11mm larger in diameter. Then multiply the radiius by pi (3.14...) to calculate the difference in circumference (34.5 mm) which is the real factor for gearing etc.

The 190/50 has a 95mm sidewall, so it is only 4mm smaller in sidewall. Which is also like putting lower gearing on the bike (can you say wheelies?)

Yeah... you can get the fat tire on the back, but it will slow the steering down (due to the geometries) and be heavier, and more expensive... so why do it?

:unsure:

Fred beat me to it. As I was reading I was thinking "How do these guys think it's the same circumference?"

190/55 is a bit longer roll than 180/55.

Finishing the calculations, the 190/50 is almost exactly an inch shorter in circumference than the 180/55. The 190/55 is about an inch and a half longer than the 180/55. And for the ultimate comparison ( :p ) the 205/50 car tire is just under an inch longer in circumference than the 180/55. None of these figures account in any way for deflection of the tread at the road, just static sizes.

Now someone will start talking about the rolling radius which is the real indicator of how the bike goes down the road. I wonder if my three ply 180/55/17 B tire, with it's three plys will have a larger rolling radius than the the same size 2ply tire. I guess that would depend on how much weight I put on it and how much air pressure it has.

BTW it wheelies just fine with the larger diameter tire and will go 0 mph to 100 mph in the 1/8 mile.

Have fun with whatever you want to run on your bike. :)

Thanks guys for refreshing my Alzheimer memory :)

Now what were we talking about? Oh yeah; So Fred ya think I'm more crazy than the average darksider for oversizing the rear? :blink: And I would'nt want any lower gearing, when I'm on high(er) speeds roads I would actually like 5th to have a few less rips. So that being said, maybe I do want the 190/55.... U know I like to be different! :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator: