1963 BMW R69s Resto Project completed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Forums:
R69S

2019-01-01 R69s Completed!

Ray sent email with pics.. She is done!

1963 BMW R69s.

Yeah, Aunt Ruth is a 'trailer queen' for sure. No dirt road...

Ray said he is NOT going to ride it. Something about virginity and popping the bubble and all that...

Next spring I'll step and fetch her back, after popping the cherry and finding out what might be loose.. :)

Say Whaaaaat? That ain't no BMW!

Now Ray can complete the HD project and start working on a certain KZ1300 too!

Great Job Ray!

Ya Sure, as soon as the ice is off the driveway enough to be safe the mighty KZ will move from the garage to the shop. Got a lift ready and waiting and the wrenches warmed up.
punk.gif

I got a glimpse of the R69 while at Reuban Run. It is a beautiful piece of work to be sure. Well done Ray!

That is gorgeous! Should put a photo of what it looked like before.
I'm not smart enough to post pictures but when I started it was with a bike that had been wrecked pretty bad and missing some unobtainium parts. The guy that does my paint work did amazing work and the striping is hand done.

Ray, on that Panhead loosen the front motor mounts and torque the rear ones first see if you can get any shims between the frame and motor. It seems to take some of the buzz out.

You probably already new that. :)

Looks beautiful!

Does the KZ1300 need another round of TLC? Seems to me that you haven't done much with it.

What ever happened with the R-60?

Looks beautiful!Does the KZ1300 need another round of TLC? Seems to me that you haven't done much with it.

What ever happened with the R-60?
The KZ is getting some oil leaks corked up. OEM gaskets are real hard to find so we used a Chinese Charlie gasket set and every one leaked including the Head gasket.

The KZ was also notorious for overheating and rumor has it that if you retard the exhaust cam a tooth it solves the issue and Don had a new custom radiator built also going to clean up some old wiring that wasn't addressed the first time.

The R60/2 was finished first and Don has been riding it. It was a complete mechanical resto but the original patina on the paint work was preserved . There are some pictures of it in some of Don's ride reports. It looks nice also but the 69S is the show bike and trailer Queen.

Thanks Ray. The R69s is a real beauty and the restoration looks fantastic. So many (old) bikes and so little time! Nice to look at but don't think I would like to maintain them. Especially something like the Kawi - engine just seems too complicated with lots of stuff that could go wrong. Sometimes, one modern bike is enough for me to deal with.