KZ1300 - Pukes her Guts on my Birthday ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice...

Old school meets old school.

14.jpg

I hope you get the problems worked out Don, It's probably something simple.

When you started out, did you check to make sure the radiator cap was screwed down tight?

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Thread hijack! I think these older early 70s to early-80s Japanese bikes have classic lines. Can they be true "classics"? I think so despite their only being 35-45 years old. This one has a boxy, husky and muscular look - purposeful - with nice horizontal and diagonal lines that flow well. That all sort of changed with the Suzuki Katana of - what? - 1983? My favorite from that era were the Honda "F" Supersports. I had three copies of the 1983 1100 F. Still love the looks of them. Kawasaki two-stroke triples looked cool, too. The Gen 1 FJRs had nice, flowing lines, too. The current one? Not so much, IMHO. I don't care for the downward arcing shape/look of the trailing edge of the fairing; just me. Flame away... The worst lately? Honda, especially that triangular shape of the VFR 1200 fairings, also shared with some siblings, among other goofy designs.

Thread hijack! I think these older early 70s to early-80s Japanese bikes have classic line... My favorite from that era were the Honda "F" Supersports...I don't care for the downward arcing shape/look of the trailing edge of the fairing; just me...The worst lately? Honda, especially that triangular shape of the VFR 1200 fairings, also shared with some siblings, among other goofy designs.
Ya, it sucks not being able to change with the times and keep up. It gets worse as you get older and even more intolerant of change.

laugh.png

BTW, I agree with you, so we both must be old. I'm also beginning to enjoy evolving into a curmudgeon.

A bad radiator cap sure can let a cool engine puke coolant. Hopefully the mechanic didn't forget a shop towel that was put into an opening to keep critters out while working on the bike
wink.png
(the bike would never have run this long without overheating). Can the water pump cavitate and stop circulating?

Somebody hurry and send Don a Gremlin bell for his Kwacker, based on his history (and driveway) he needs one ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread hijack! I think these older early 70s to early-80s Japanese bikes have classic line... My favorite from that era were the Honda "F" Supersports...I don't care for the downward arcing shape/look of the trailing edge of the fairing; just me...The worst lately? Honda, especially that triangular shape of the VFR 1200 fairings, also shared with some siblings, among other goofy designs.
Ya, it sucks not being able to change with the times and keep up. It gets worse as you get older and even more intolerant of change.

laugh.png

BTW, I agree with you, so we both must be old. I'm also beginning to enjoy evolving into a curmudgeon.

A bad radiator cap sure can let a cool engine puke coolant. Hopefully the mechanic didn't forget a shop towel that was put into an opening to keep critters out while working on the bike
wink.png
(the bike would never have run this long without overheating). Can the water pump cavitate and stop circulating?

Somebody hurry and send Don a Gremlin bell for his Kwacker, based on his history (and driveway) he needs one ASAP.
NO!!! I didn't leave a shop towel anywhere.
rolleyes.gif
It appears the fan relay gave up or was murdered by Don's 3 mile torture track. You would need a gremlin bell the size of a basketball to do any good.

It's good that Don has a large fleet so he can always find one that runs.
smile.png

Don't think there's a gremlin bell large enough to help Don. Maybe a cow bell could work??? Anybody got a cow bell for Don?

I've had my share of UJM's. By far my favorite was my Red, White, and Blue Honda 700s. What a wonderful motorcycle that was.

Frankly, I hadn't heard of the KZ1300 before Carver's resurrection thread. Thought the CBX was the only 6-er out at the time. Even this ole dog can learn new tricks!!!

Pants, I agree on the Honda 700s. They were an "S" designation, I think. Great bikes! I still see one come up for sale occasionally, sometimes a filthy and beat up basket case, once in awhile a nice example that commands a pretty good price - $3-$4K. My local independent is a former Honda dealer. He has several of these in prime condition. I always liked those bikini fairings and the "black chrome" exhausts. The paint schemes were neat, too.

.and the problem has been diagnosed to a bad fan relay AND intermittent temperature switch. You don't want to know how much an OEM NOS temp switch costs... and I'm not going for it.. over $130. ACK!

.and the problem has been diagnosed to a bad fan relay AND intermittent temperature switch. You don't want to know how much an OEM NOS temp switch costs... and I'm not going for it.. over $130. ACK!
WTF and I thought you were an Instrument Tech?..............

And yet, that is seriously good news, and I might add, diagnosed in record time for you.

Aftermarket alternative DC or do you have a better plan?

Glad you found the issue(s)!

--G

New OEM fan relay 80 USD. How bad do I want to keep it OEM?

Temp switch that signals relay... so far, not found one. Had a lead on Mazda part, but wrong thread pitch.

New OEM fan relay 80 USD. How bad do I want to keep it OEM?Temp switch that signals relay... so far, not found one. Had a lead on Mazda part, but wrong thread pitch.
Not sure if this is a good deal or not: https://r.ebay.com/v01Hag - looks like it should be a $10 part

Looks like this guy found a replacement and is now trying to make some money off it: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-parts-accessories/markham-york-region/kawasaki-voyager-zn1300-fan-switch-27010-1026/1077210032 $110CDN is about $80USD. The part number looks like 4093-65.

Edit - that looks like a Facet 7.4093 switch. https://www.mister-auto.ie/en/temperature-switch-coolant-warning-lamp/facet-7-4093_g2475_a1597.4093.html

which is a Volkswagen : 535 919 521 https://r.ebay.com/UNgbCk $14!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice...
Old school meets old school.

14.jpg

I hope you get the problems worked out Don, It's probably something simple.

When you started out, did you check to make sure the radiator cap was screwed down tight?

Brodie

rolleyes.gif
Yes. But Mr. Radiator Man was sure quick to show me how deteriorated the OEM cap was.. and how it really needed to be replaced..

New OEM fan relay 80 USD. How bad do I want to keep it OEM?Temp switch that signals relay... so far, not found one. Had a lead on Mazda part, but wrong thread pitch.
Not sure if this is a good deal or not: https://r.ebay.com/v01Hag - looks like it should be a $10 part

Looks like this guy found a replacement and is now trying to make some money off it: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-parts-accessories/markham-york-region/kawasaki-voyager-zn1300-fan-switch-27010-1026/1077210032 $110CDN is about $80USD. The part number looks like 4093-65.

Edit - that looks like a Facet 7.4093 switch. https://www.mister-auto.ie/en/temperature-switch-coolant-warning-lamp/facet-7-4093_g2475_a1597.4093.html

which is a Volkswagen : 535 919 521 https://r.ebay.com/UNgbCk $14!
Wow. You , Sir are parts chasing genius. I'll research the details in the AM, or when in Death Valley with the group ride. Thank you so much.

Glad to help. It's fun to chase stuff down - especially when it's someone else's money! Let me know how it works out.