1st Tire I Didn't Change Myself

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyronewildman

Real Old Guy
Reaction score
Well it finally happened to me last week in the middle of a 900+mi round trip to Memphis & back to Hotlanta. Checked my tires before I left & rear BT021 was almost (1/32") down to wear bar. Plenty of tire (3/32" tread) for my slow accel & high speed type of riding. Hmmm, not quite. Before a Memphis ride on Sat morn noticed a 1/2" wide strip of cord showing. Lucky was I that Olive Branch Suz/Yam had a new Roadsmart & poped it on for me. What a nice group of guys there. I had already changed front BT021 to Roadsmart & was going to do same w/rear. My original rear BT020 got 16k mi & this BT021 was at 9.8k mi. which isn't real bad. Point is that this the 1st tire ever that I didn't change myself & I bought my 1st new bike in '53 & have 5 now. This won't happen again as I will only ride em that low in town till they are down to the wear bar. No more BT021s for me, Roadsmarts (or BT020s) for me. I'm tite & the $257 hurt (about $100 more that I could do it myself) & I don't really don't like anyone else working on my bike. I also told them that I would shoot them it they did a burn out on the old tire (like the one I read about here).

Feel free to pile it on,

Later, De :mellow:

I can tell that my local Yamaha dealer gets upset when I turn up at the sevice counter with a wheel under one arm and a tire bought at a discount distributor under the other. Last time it happened he was so pissed off that he charged me $80 for the tire change which more or less negated the few bucks that I had saved by buying at the distributors.

So for a while now I`ve thought about changing my own tires and would welcome any advice on the subject. I know that it`s not rocket science but how easy/difficult is it to change a tire.

slo.

The first thing I would have done is called the dealer up before hand and asked their charge for remounting a customer supplied tire. Some dealers are happy to get the walk in tire mounts because it adds to the bottom line in the service department and the dealer doesn't have to carry costly inventory.

Any dealer who gives me an attitude can get stuffed.

My local dealers refuse to mount tires that you didn't buy from them......Liability...blah blah blah.....

Luckily, there is a small independant shop near me that mounts them for 30.00 per tire.

Local dealer by me mounts for free if I buy the tire through them. But I haven't been able to compare tire prices to see if they're recouping that fee up front or not.

I can tell that my local Yamaha dealer gets upset when I turn up at the sevice counter with a wheel under one arm and a tire bought at a discount distributor under the other. Last time it happened he was so pissed off that he charged me $80 for the tire change which more or less negated the few bucks that I had saved by buying at the distributors. So for a while now I`ve thought about changing my own tires and would welcome any advice on the subject. I know that it`s not rocket science but how easy/difficult is it to change a tire.

slo.
Changing a tire can be difficult and requires some finesse and/or muscle. The more you do it the easier it gets. Having some sort of stand to hold the wheel while you work the tire off and on helps a lot. I use a cheapo Harbor Freight tire changer that cost about $100 including the changer and motorcycle attachment. There are a lot of other tools available, and some very pricey changers, which probably make the job easier so it depends on how much you want to spend. And this has been discussed many times over the years on the forum so you'll find all you need to know if you wade through the old posts.

Don't fell bad about not doing your own. I've never done my own, don't have the equipment, and with my luck I'd eff something up, and have to take it to the shop anyway. Just got a set of PR2's, but I'll wait till spring to find somewhere to put 'em on for me.

...I had already changed front BT021 to Roadsmart & was going to do same w/rear...
I think you will find that the front Roadsmart sucks.

The rear Roadsmart is fine, but the front sucks....badly...worst front tire I have ever had.

I had purchased a set (front and rear) of Roadsmarts in fall of 2008 and had just put the rear on before my crash in AR a year ago. So this fall, I put the front Roadsmart on to finish the few rides to SE Ohio and to AR that I had left. By the time I got back from AR with 4k miles on the bike...the tire was toast and was scary to ride. Flat 1" to 1 1/4" in the center where the hard rubber is, then a sudden drop off on the sides where the soft side rubber was just worn off badly by the twisties.

I knew the front was going to be bad, cuz petey posted a photo showing his worn pos Front roadsmart. I had it in the garage, so I used it...but it sucks badly once you get a little wear on it.

I will be replacing my tires with the front Storm and rear Roadsmart that I already have in the garage. After that, maybe back to a PR2 that probably fits my mild riding style.

...I had already changed front BT021 to Roadsmart & was going to do same w/rear...
I think you will find that the front Roadsmart sucks.

The rear Roadsmart is fine, but the front sucks....badly...worst front tire I have ever had.

I had purchased a set (front and rear) of Roadsmarts in fall of 2008 and had just put the rear on before my crash in AR a year ago. So this fall, I put the front Roadsmart on to finish the few rides to SE Ohio and to AR that I had left. By the time I got back from AR with 4k miles on the bike...the tire was toast and was scary to ride. Flat 1" to 1 1/4" in the center where the hard rubber is, then a sudden drop off on the sides where the soft side rubber was just worn off badly by the twisties.

I knew the front was going to be bad, cuz petey posted a photo showing his worn pos Front roadsmart. I had it in the garage, so I used it...but it sucks badly once you get a little wear on it.

I will be replacing my tires with the front Storm and rear Roadsmart that I already have in the garage. After that, maybe back to a PR2 that probably fits my mild riding style.

I amazes me how, the same tire on the same bike, with a different pilot can wear so drastically different. I have Roadsmarts on now, and am switching to PR2s for the first time. The front RS was wearing so-so, with a little ridge on it, but by rear is showing wear bar after 6k. It was the opposite for the B021 for me. The Roadsmarts lasted about 2.5k longer than the Bridgestones, so I'm heading in the right direction for tires anyway.

........................So for a while now I`ve thought about changing my own tires and would welcome any advice on the subject. I know that it`s not rocket science but how easy/difficult is it to change a tire.slo.
I have changed my tires myself last 2 times. 1st at a friends house who was showing me. 2nd time this fall put on pair of PR2. Get some kind of "rim slip" like Ru-glide at Napa - $20 Canadian for a gallon, enough to last rest of my life. You need 3 tire irons the kind with a little lip on the ends and a curve in them worked well - also Napa I think. I used cut up shampoo bottle for rim protecter. The brake rotors are lock tited on - don't try to remove them, don't ask how I know. I made a sq. frame of 2X4 so the rotor fits in the centre and the rim rests on the edges. I mounted a block of wood on garage wall, a tree or telephone pole - used a long 2X4 with a wedge on tire wall as a lever to break the beads. A helper makes it easier but I managed by myself. Take the innards out of the tire valve to let the air out, also leave out when inflating to seat the beads. I went to gas station to inflate since I don't have a compressor. You will see and hear the 2 snaps when the bead on each side of the rim seat. Put the air valve innards back in and inflate. Wheel wieghts also from Napa - cheap for a strip of 1/4 oz. Used axle over chair backs to static balance good enough.

I can do both wheels in 1/2 day, took a full day since you get to checking this and that, lubing drive shaft splines and pumpkin oil etc. etc. Try it, you will save $50 to $80 per change depending on your steeler.

Don't fell bad about not doing your own. I've never done my own, don't have the equipment, and with my luck I'd eff something up, and have to take it to the shop anyway. Just got a set of PR2's, but I'll wait till spring to find somewhere to put 'em on for me.

Uhh, dude,

Didn't we talk about this when doing your CC? I know it's been a while and all, but you can bring them to me, and I'll even let you learn on your wheels if you want to.

Shane

Uhh, dude,

Didn't we talk about this when doing your CC? I know it's been a while and all, but you can bring them to me, and I'll even let you learn on your wheels if you want to.

Shane

Yes the topic did come up! Never see anything on here from you, so was thinking of other possible alternatives just in case. I'll make sure to get in touch you when winter goes bye bye.

Uhh, dude,

Shane

Yes the topic did come up! Never see anything on here from you, so was thinking of other possible alternatives just in case. I'll make sure to get in touch you when winter goes bye bye.
Cool,

Yeah, I should post more......

Shane

Well it finally happened to me last week in the middle of a 900+mi round trip to Memphis & back to Hotlanta. Checked my tires before I left & rear BT021 was almost (1/32") down to wear bar. Plenty of tire (3/32" tread) for my slow accel & high speed type of riding. Hmmm, not quite. Before a Memphis ride on Sat morn noticed a 1/2" wide strip of cord showing. Lucky was I that Olive Branch Suz/Yam had a new Roadsmart & poped it on for me. What a nice group of guys there. I had already changed front BT021 to Roadsmart & was going to do same w/rear. My original rear BT020 got 16k mi & this BT021 was at 9.8k mi. which isn't real bad. Point is that this the 1st tire ever that I didn't change myself & I bought my 1st new bike in '53 & have 5 now. This won't happen again as I will only ride em that low in town till they are down to the wear bar. No more BT021s for me, Roadsmarts (or BT020s) for me. I'm tite & the $257 hurt (about $100 more that I could do it myself) & I don't really don't like anyone else working on my bike. I also told them that I would shoot them it they did a burn out on the old tire (like the one I read about here).
Feel free to pile it on,

Later, De :mellow:
I have purchased a Cycle Hill tire changer $500 us. It came complete with all the necessary tools as well as a Balancer with enough weights for several changes plus assorted other stuff, Google search "Cycle Hill tire changer" for their add! It is not quite a "No Mar" but close! I have changed my tires once and struggled a little from lack of experience. I had friends help because they will be changing their tires using my machine when they are ready! Since changing my tires I have removed a tire and replaced the tube for a friends 21" dirt bike wheel. Very easy! Now for the why! Here in Canada a new set of PR 2's can cost $450 cdn and up, mounting and balancing up to $150 cdn. I have been lucky enough to buy a couple of sets of PR 2's at very good prices and have already reduced the machine cost by $150, doing my own change! One set came from a forum member out of Calgary and I just received a set from Tuscon AZ dealer with a link I got from this great forum! The down side as far as I can see is if you plan a ride that will exceed your expected mileage and you are forced to change tires while on the road; not much you could do about that anyway? Don't be intimidated by changing your own tires either as there are great post's here including pictures which make the job quite easy! As for tires! My bike an 08 purchased new in 09 came with BT 021's and the front showed tread wear bars at 3400kms about 2400 miles; in my opinion that front tire a least is very poorly rated for this bike! I just replaced the PR 2's with over 15000kms on them and probably could get a couple more but I don't like getting flats on the while on the road. Check with other forum members in your area and I'm sure you will find a least one or more people who would support you doing your own work.

I have purchased a Cycle Hill tire changer $500 us. It came complete with all the necessary tools as well as a Balancer with enough weights for several changes plus assorted other stuff, Google search "Cycle Hill tire changer" for their add! It is not quite a "No Mar" but close!
Actually, it *is* a No-Mar, and I wish it had been around when I got my No-Mar "Classic" as I like the bead breaker and rim holders better, plus it has the free standing center post instead of the wacky swing-down thing. You got a good thing there.

Anyways, since the dealers here can't even mount a tire on the proper direction, be bothered to balance it or even tighten the axle when they're done, I do my own tires.

The first secret for me was "use lots of the No-Mar spray lube" especially on the inside of the tire. Most of the force when you're doing it wrong is overcoming the friction from the rubber.

The second secret from the No-Mar videos is "make sure the already mounted part is as far down into the 'drop-center' of the rim as possible, to give as much slack to slip the rest over the rim as possible" - all the how-to articles usually gloss over this.

It still took a puncture in the rear tire where I had to mount/demount the tire half a dozen times to do the patch right, before I got the hang of it and it became second nature. It's really nice that the rear wheel comes off/goes on the bike so easily, too.