2004 or 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuicker

Reaction score
Other than being 6 years newer and a "new" silver color.. why would anyone choose a new FJR over a pre-owned 06? I'm just wondering... the 06 is a beautiful blue, and looks exactly the same. OK, the new one gets a warranty.. but if the 04 is in good shape, doesn't that make up for the difference in the purchase price?

I'm just trying to figure out what to do as my FJR purchase draws closer.

Opinions, thoughts?

Kevin

McKinney, TX

04 FZ6

"why would I need a more expensive newer bike?"

You a communist or something? Kinda bucking good ole capitalist marketing with that statement, aren't you? ;)

Seriously though, I don't see any reason to upgrade my already depreciated but otherwise perfect '05 either.

Other than being 6 years newer and a "new" silver color.. why would anyone choose a new FJR over a pre-owned 06? I'm just wondering... the 06 is a beautiful blue, and looks exactly the same. OK, the new one gets a warranty.. but if the 04 is in good shape, doesn't that make up for the difference in the purchase price?

Opinions, thoughts?

Kevin

McKinney, TX

04 FZ6
'03 to '05 are "Gen I" or older generation bikes...ABS was a $1000 option

'06 to '07 are "Gen IIa" and '08 to '09 are "Gen IIb" - for one thing, all have ABS as standard

check out the Bin O Facts...

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:

Opinions, thoughts?

Kevin

McKinney, TX

04 FZ6
You hit it on the head Kevin. I bought a 2004 just a couple weeks ago. That $6,300 did not hurt near as bad as $11,000.

Later

Scooper

Other than being 6 years newer and a "new" silver color.. why would anyone choose a new FJR over a pre-owned 04?
(you did mean 04 right?)

Other than price and color, why would anyone choose a 6 year old bike over a brand new one?

Kevin, some folks just like new compared to used. The ONLY reason I can see to buy a used 04 over a brand new 2010 is the price. So you have to make that call yourself based on you own financial posittion. Sometimes not having to worry about potential issues of an older bike are worth the expence to some folks.

If you plan on keeping the bike along time and plan on putting alot of miles on the bike , it seems to me you are better off with a new one, with the YES 4 year warrenty.

I waited a whole year for my 2006 that I bought new, and am glad I did...(but I still had a bike to ride while I waited)

Two reasons for the newer bikes:

1) the reason to buy an '06 or newer is to get the engineered heat management.

I think the FJR, newer, is the only bike to successfully address this issue; the BMW, Concourse 14 or ST1300 don't I'm told.

I have an '04 and would appreciate the heck out of an '06 or newer if I lived in Texas heat, like the OP. These big motors have to dump heat somewhere.

2) You also get ABS std on '06 and newer, so check your particular '04 when ABS was optional.

You live in Texas. I used to live in very south Texas. It gets hot in Texas. It gets hot in Eastern NC. I had an 05. Traded it in less than one year for an 07. Good decision. You should try a similar decision.

The '04 looks better, but the Gen I's are a bit hotter, may "tick", and then there's that cam chain obliterated motor thing...

You could probably get a good deal on a best-looking '06 or '07AE and have a pretty sweet low-mile bike for a great bargain....

You live in Texas. I used to live in very south Texas. It gets hot in Texas. It gets hot in Eastern NC. I had an 05. Traded it in less than one year for an 07. Good decision. You should try a similar decision.
Pretty good advice, especially if you live where it gets hot.

I was recently faced replacing a wrecked bike and elected to go with a 2003 with lower mileage, but I live in a relatively cool area. While I would like to have ABS, it wasn't available on the bike I bought.

There are too many very nice low mileage bikes out there to pay the cost of a new one. I picked up a very nice '07 with 3K on it from a stealer for $8500. It even has an upgraded seat and windshield. Buy used and let someone else pay the depreciation.

There are too many very nice low mileage bikes out there to pay the cost of a new one. I picked up a very nice '07 with 3K on it from a stealer for $8500. It even has an upgraded seat and windshield. Buy used and let someone else pay the depreciation.

Agree...

When I picked up mine a couple months ago..same decision. Finance a new 09 fJR / C14 or slightly used. Well when I was ready, had a toss between an 06 w/42k miles(non abs) vs. 04 w/10k miles (abs)..2500k more for 06. I opted for the 04...These bikes are and have been near perfect machines; for the most part. Not to mention I was able to lay down 6400, vs. financing 14k. Just made more sense. As far as heat mgt., heck half the fun is taking care of your bike, and doing some work yourself. Just today I did the heat mgt. with some high-tech heat resistant material and it worked great. eh em...The wealth of shared knowledge on this forum is legendary. Wasn't hard.....Not to mention you will be more inclined to work on a older slightly used bike with as opposed to a new one with YES warranty. By the way, if you been following the 'classic' sick of my bike post, there is soon to be an 08 for sale for about 5k or less...(she really wants it gone)

Good luck.

The 06 is a must more refined bike then previous years. As far as I can tell the 06 though 09 is the same bike. They say the ABS was improved on the 08 but I have not seen that actually tested anywhere.

I think he's choosing between an '04 and a new one, so it's a bigger difference.

'04 is Gen I, need to add some things like under-tank blanket for heat management, but it's doable. Take it from a Floridian commuter on an '03. But the GenII bikes have better air management in the fairing. They also have weird electrical shit like the ignition key recall (probably not affecting a brand new bike) and the non-corrosion-proof ground joint behind the steering head. '04 had ABS as an option, standard on GenII bikes. Brake pads cost way more on GenII bikes, 'cause there's way more of them. GenII has a gear indicator on the dash, not there on GenI. GenII shows calculated MPG on the dash, not there on GenI. The GenI bikes prioritized readability in their gauges, and visible blinker indicators. Handlebar risers are way cheaper and easier on GenI bikes, but the bars are less "adjustable," nor is seat height adjustable on GenI bikes.

There's really not much else worth mentioning. The '04 should be way less than half the new bike, so that's certainly a factor. Same performance, no warranty, but you keep a pocket full of cash. . . . .