2006 Rescue - Project Log

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, you DID hit the lottery.
smile.png

Edit: I see Ross was posting the same statement while I was typing. So much for the 'expert' mechanic that diagnosed the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the bike is running that well, why bother to recheck the compression? You already verified that there is no compression "problem". Are you just looking for a baseline value for comparison later on?

One point about those large valve clearances: There is another way that they can become larger on these engines, especially on the exhaust valves, and that is if the prior owner babied the engine too much and allowed carbon to build up on the exhaust valve seats and valve faces. This causes the clearances to appear to be too large since the layer of crud never allows the valves to seat fully. The good news is the fix can be pretty simple, and you are already doing part of that: Run a bunch of solvent through the engine (seafoam and/or ring free) and also give it a bit of an Italian Tune-up once you have it on the road again, then go back and check those exhaust clearances.

There is no big danger in the clearances being too large. The engine won't be making maximum possible power, but we seldom use it all on the FJR anyway. What you don't want is clearances that are too small as you can lose compression in one cylinder and / or burn a valve. For that reason, I would want to go out and ring it out a few times well, before adjusting those apparently too large clearances you see now.

"...that is if the prior owner babied the engine too much and allowed carbon to build up on the exhaust valve seats and valve faces."

That is exactly what I was told the PO did and they concluded that caused the 'glazing'.

Perhaps they understood the cause better than the result? Which may be a nice bluebird for you. Get that bike running right and you'll have yourself something nice.