2007 Rubber buttons dry rot?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourman

Reaction score
I have a 2007 AE (not under YES) and the buttons over this winter looked like they dry rot for some reason????

My dealer say the only fix is a Complete Upper Assy...part 2D2-83500-23-00 at a price of $1028....to replace rubber buttons?????? What the heck???

Any ideas here? What risk do I have not getting new rubber? This is crazy...

Brian

Your other options are:

ebay/craigslist/salvage.

Example:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-10-Yamaha-FJR-1300-Gauges-Meter-FJR1300-NICE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35b05efbe8QQitemZ230592281576QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I've seen them as low as $99 from wrecked bikes.

Note the mileage would be different (the ODO) and there really isn't a way to 'reduce' the mileage on a different unit to match, but you could increase the mileage to match.

Or leave it as is and just note the difference.

I would think a diligent fellow could call some of the moto wreckers on Ebay and see if they can find a damaged assy for cheap, then take it apart and swap the new buttons onto their unit. A little time and patience should have a good result.

Another idea would be to take your unit apart and see what size the button covers are, then look for generic replacements. A little google searching may find someone that actually specializes in this kind of thing. Perhaps you need a couple of 'samples' for your business project, if you catch my drift.

I would think a diligent fellow could call some of the moto wreckers on Ebay and see if they can find a damaged assy for cheap, then take it apart and swap the new buttons onto their unit. A little time and patience should have a good result.

Another idea would be to take your unit apart and see what size the button covers are, then look for generic replacements. A little google searching may find someone that actually specializes in this kind of thing. Perhaps you need a couple of 'samples' for your business project, if you catch my drift.
hmmm I like that idea finding buttons....now I need to figure how to take the unit apart....ebay I may also. For now I will need to put some clean tape over the buttons so water does not get in...

Fourman,

I doubt that it's dry rot. More likely some garage "critter" looking for a winter snack. Doesn't make any difference, the results are the same.

Bob