2008 Stalling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Called the Dealer today and they said they would be looking at my bike tomorrow. I hope they figure out what the deal is or is not??

Well got the bike back form the dealer today. They raised the idle, I even know that so it's not stalling anymore but thehesitation still happens when the throttle of blipped from idle. It sounds like the engine is going to stall but doesn't.

Anyone else with an 08' have this problem??

Hi,

I just posted something similar on another thread regarding this topic, but I thought I'd post here as well. I have an 08 with approx. 500 miles on it. It stalled one time when I first got it as I was pulling up to a light with the clutch pulled in. It was very cold outside, so I just thought that was the reason for the stall. I've always noticed when I blimped the throttle that there was a slight hesitation, but nothing big and the bike seem to run fine other than that.

However, the other night I went out for a short ride and the bike stalled several times...twice in a row at one light as I blimped the throttle. After warming up a few more minutes, it didn't stall again, even though I was specifically trying to do it. I'm leaving this weekend for a two day bike trip & didn't want to have to worry about this issue.

So...after reading about this issue here and on other threads, I checked my idel and it was set to 1100 already, so I decided not to change that. Next I printed the great info about the BJM and did that today. It was very easy, so thanks to the great instructions! Anyway, my understanding is that the common setting from the factory is C1-5, C2-18, C3-18, C4-21...and the common suggestion is to increase each cylinder by +7. However, when I checked my factor settings first, they were at ALL at 10...so changing mine to the recommended settings of C-12, C-25, C-25, C28 was quite a change. I made the recommended change, but haven't been out on a ride yet to test how it runs, so I'll see how much of a difference it makes.

My main question is...it seems logical to me that all cylinders would have equal settings (like my factory setting of 10), but that doesn't appear to be the case based on info from this forum.

Can anyone give me the technical reason (for my understanding) why the setting per cylinder is different & not the same for all cylinders? Also, will this change have a big impact on my gas milage as I assume I will now be pumping more fuel into the cylinders on a regular basis compared to before? Or is the fuel change very minor from that perspective? Basically...I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what impact my changes are expected to have.

Thanks

Just posted this on the other 08 stalling thread. Should have done it here...

This thread looks to be winding down a bit but I have another complication that may be an indication that this is indeed a new problem.
I have an 06 AE that had the CO settings bumped up +7 within the first 90 miles and idle always set to 1100. It ran that way for two years with absolutly no problems.

However I just recently had the new ECU installed per the recall and now if I'm not careful when 'blipping' the throttle it will stall. Within 50 miles it's happened twice. BTW the CO settings were set back to +7 and idles at 1100.

The dealer said they had to send the old ECU back to Yamaha but I wish I still had it to try out just to double check this stalling problem.