2012 Europe Sausagefest & Gelato Tour

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was up early to get the bike loaded up and do a quick run with the bike just to make sure I could remember how to use that funny level on the left handlebar. The morning light was good for a photo of the hotel that we started from in Erding, Germany ....

day-1-1-L.jpg

We took a coffee break about 2 hours into the ride as we headed south away from Munich in the town of Einsiedl and then continued over to the Linderhof Castle for a stop for a tour and lunch. We had an hour before the tour started so we went for lunch first. SacMike had this to satisfy his sweet tooth ....

day-1-3-L.jpg

It was then time to line up for the castle tour. we were allowed to take photos of the grounds but none of the interior of the castle ....

day-1-4-L.jpg

day-1-5-XL.jpg

day-1-6-L.jpg

day-1-7-L.jpg

Here is most to the motley crew in the castle's back yard ....

day-1-9-L.jpg

We then hit a mountain pass where Don was going so slow that he got passed by an old German lady going uphill on a bicycle which startled Don and he stalled the bike in the middle of the road gumming up the whole works and bringing everyone behind him to a dead stop. Traffic was heavy in spots in the mountains and you had to pick your passing spots carefully. We also got rained on a bit towards the end of the day and the roads got a little wet to add to the challenge of not falling off the mountain.

In the end everyone made it to the hotel safely. I only took one photo on the road since it was overcast most of the afternoon but we did stop at one overlook ....

day-1-8-L.jpg

As you can see the clouds were rolling in and it started raining just as we rolled out for the last leg of the trip for the day. In all it was a good first day but my F800ST could use some stiffer front fork springs.

I was too busy to take many photos from the saddle but I know Diane & Pam have lots so I'll let them post up. I have video from today but I will not be doing any video editing until after I return from the trip.

Tonight we are in Feichen, Austria. Tomorrow we head further south into Italy in search of Gelato.

I don't see no stinking pictures of moto-bikes! I call FOUL.

You turds are riding tourist buses everywhere, admit it!

[quote name='Dr. Rich' timestamp='1344611138' post='989982'

I really think this is a baloney-fest with melted Popsicles! Maybe all the BMW's broke down!

probably, but a FJR is on it's way.

And is Sacramento Mike in a german prison yet?
Close Mark, extremely close!

Shit!! For the second time this year, I have to agree with you :unsure:
I really think this is a baloney-fest with melted Popsicles! Maybe all the BMW's broke down!
We had a rough go on the tour bus today, the wet bar ran out of hard liquor! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

For all you Alps Deniers and other assorted jackasses here is a little raw video I shot yesterday from the cockpit of my BMW F800ST ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nc3QHF602U&hd=1

Still want to disbelieve. What other drunken Irishman do you know that would ride around Europe on a GS with a Yamaha jacket on ....

day-2-1-L.jpg

I can also prove that Pam & Tom where touring around on two wheels also. I know it's Pam since she has the only pink helmet in Europe ....

day-2-3-L.jpg

Chris & Diane are also here ....

day-2-5-L.jpg

and Mike was daydreaming per usual ....

day-2-4-L.jpg

I was down in the ditch taking the photos.

Later on in the day I got to play here. Eat your hearts out
tongue.gif

day-2-2-L.jpg

I stand as the conquering hero of the Stelvio Passo ...

day-2-10-L.jpg

Once back on the valley floor it was time for a Gelato break ....

day-2-8-L.jpg

and lust over some Ducatis ....

day-2-7-L.jpg

My SPOT says this is where we played today ....

day-2-route-L.png

It was a fun day. To all the nay sayers and especially Bustanut, I don't want your apology but I demand a $100 Appearance Fee for the next Owosso Tech Day.

Afterall, I'm a STAR now.

Late Breaking News

Some may find this impossible to believe but I actually heard BeemerDons say something bad about BMW to his BMW buddies as they were all complaining about the stock seats on the bikes. I don't know why this should come as a surprise to them since BMW uses only the finest hardwoods from the Black Forest to make them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Late Breaking News

Some may find this impossible to believe but I actually heard BeemerDons say something bad about BMW to his BMW buddies as they were all complaining about the stock seats on the bikes. I don't know why this should come as a surprise to them since BMW uses only the finest hardwoods from the Black Forest to make them.
I think the thing that I find more impossible to believe is that he could actually feel the seat!

Late Breaking News

geez...it's only day 2 or 3 and the whining has already begun???!!!!

:lol:

It was a fun day. To all the nay sayers and especially Bustanut, I don't want your apology but I demand a $100 Appearance Fee for the next Owosso Tech Day.

Make it $150 and I'll let you sleep in the house. ;)

You do know that you pay me the Appearance Fee right???

Awesome.

What do you think if the 800ST? I've always been curious about those.
The motor is great but it is geared too tall. At 3000 rpm I need to be in second gear to stay under the 50 kph in the towns. The pegs are too high for me but that is only because of my limited range of motion with my artificial knee that puts me pretty much at my limit of knee bend to get my feet on the pegs.

The front forks springs are way too soft and the front end dives too much under breaking. This is a common complant on the BMW forms and there is no compression or rebound adjustment. Nothing a set of Ohlins front forks wouldn't fix. There is almost no room in the tiny bags to store anything. My running shoes almost fill the one bag. No jokes about my big feet please. I'm sensitive.

The bike overall is quite compact and I had fun with it yesterday in the passes. With good suspension it would be a very fun bike.

Manuel, our tour guide is riding a Triumph Explorer and we are going to trade bikes for a day to let me try that. He was interested that I was riding the ST and thought the GS would have fit me better. According to Manuel the Triumph Explorer is a knock-off of the GS but he works for BMW part time as a BMW Off-Road instructor.

You do know that you pay me the Appearance Fee right???
Yep.. That's why I upped it to a buck fifty.

Do ya take pesos?
I'll bet he takes Timmy's gift certificates :)

A Few More Photos from Day 2

The day started from the AlpenHotel Auer in Feichten, Austria ....

day-2-11-L.jpg

After riding for about an hour or so we worked our way up through the switchbacks to this old Austrian town dating back to the 1200's for a morning coffee ....

day-2-13-L.jpg

Here was the view from the patio as we enjoyed our cappuccino. Timmy's was never like this ....

day-2-17-L.jpg

There were also some locals on a hiking vacation ....

day-2-16-L.jpg

Austrians like having flowers everywhere ....

day-2-19-L.jpg

I didn't know that KTM's come in colours other than orange ....

day-2-18-L.jpg

Some of our folks in the group are complaining about how hard the stock seats are on the BMW's. Obviously they never took part in the official BMW training program to toughen up the derriere ....

day-2-20-L.jpg