2012 Europe Sausagefest & Gelato Tour

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From AZ Beemers Club Member Bruce Cain:

On August 11th, the next day after Stelvio, our guide took us off the scheduled route for some country side riding. Here is a video of some of that ride. This ride is just southeast of Meran Italy and is on a small road that went through towns like AVelengo, Postal, Meltina, Falas and on the SGenesioAt. where we had a coffee break.

Bruce

From AZ Beemers Club Member Bruce Cain:

The following video was taken on day two, at Guarda Switzerland, just after we took our mid-morning break. It is just one example of what we saw in a number of towns. The roads are cobble stone. A number of the buildings had walls approximately three feet thick and some were dated back to 1645. I uploaded this video to you tube.

Here is the view from the mid-morning break location of Guarda, Switzerland

DSC_0015-2.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg

Thanks, Bruce

From AZB Bruce Cain:

On Sunday, rest day for some, we left the hotel in Levico, took our saddle bags off for additional clearance and took off for a 300 kilometer day. We had a stop at Lake Lago di Garda for a mid-morning break - pictures were posted by others - and then headed off beside the lake to our Turnoff at Gargnana, where we headed west to Ldro for lunch. I hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed the ride. This is just a snippet of what we did for 6 days of riding in the Alps and Dolomites.

Like a lot of things, practicing riding a motorcycle makes you a better rider. Practicing riding tight curves over and over and over makes you a much better rider fast. Everybody on the tour agreed we all came out of that week of post-graduate level riding practice much better riders than we were when we went into it. Couldn't help it. And by the way, those 'Zonies were converted to the joys of lane splitting after that ride into Riva. But we don't do it like that in Cali. That was fun! :yahoo:

Passo di Stelvio ride video from AZB Club Member Daniel "Nitrox32" Shedore of BMW MOA #89 - AZ Beemers:

Here is my video of going up Stelvio pass it is in two parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
What AWESOME views ya must have seen! Good thing it was a wide one-way road with no bicyclist ride'n tandem, & no tourist standing in the road! :p

Looks like an awesome trip. Wonderful pics and videos. Thanks for sharing. Getting me excited for my own european tour next week!

Looks like an awesome trip. Wonderful pics and videos. Thanks for sharing. Getting me excited for my own european tour next week!
Haven't seen your posts for a long time, Nik. I remembered you were doing Europe in September. Looking forward to seeing it thru your lens.
Yes, The wife and I are all set to go. Our flight to Paris is next Tuesday and we've been spending the last week or two trying to figure out what to bring or not bring. Really eager to get started. I'll be sharing the pics only after I get back from the trip towards 3rd week September. I'll put up a map with the route we took as well. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait.....

Yes, The wife and I are all set to go. Our flight to Paris is next Tuesday and we've been spending the last week or two trying to figure out what to bring or not bring. Really eager to get started. I'll be sharing the pics only after I get back from the trip towards 3rd week September. I'll put up a map with the route we took as well. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait.....
Nik, I am really looking forward to your photos since I learn so much about composition from your excellent work.

I just finished putting together a sideshow from my own photos that covers the entire trip .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVjShSu75ko&hd=1

Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did.

A empty Grossglockner pass the night before

<a href="%3Ca%20href=" http:="" s35.photobucket.com="" albums="" d183="" orestesdjc="" ?action="view&current=IMG_0316.jpg"" target="_blank">
IMG_0316.jpg
">

From the Edelweissspitz

Nik, I am really looking forward to your photos since I learn so much about composition from your excellent work.

I just finished putting together a sideshow from my own photos that covers the entire trip .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVjShSu75ko&hd=1

Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did.
Guillermo, your Alps Extreme slideshow is absolutely amazing! I've watched it twice already and I'm pouring a Bailey's and ice to watch it again, truly a very polished and professional production!

https://www.worldtourer.com/ Bill, Edelweiss Bike Travel has a blog site and you may consider posting your slideshow there. It's head and shoulders above the other moto tour entries posted there.

https://www.facebook.com/edelweissbike EBT has a Facebook page, you can post your slideshow up there! I'm highly impressed by this work of art, mi Amigo; better than Busta's stick drawings!

I concur, Bill. Outstanding slideshow. I'll let folks who want to see pictures of my trip look at that, instead of what I brought home.

(Don, Bailey's and Ice? At 9:30 in the morning? At least blend it with some OJ or an egg or something.)

In a town called Glurns I found a shop that served gelato cones the size of your head. I ordered a "7-5/8."

IMG_2544.JPG
Mikey, me thinks you got ripped off. Your scoop should have been atleast 25cm in diameter. Nice of them to translate into English Units for you though.

Nice shot there Mike...and you have a right to be proud. Not many Forum members will be able to collect that shot without the aid of photoshop.

Congrats on a great journey. :clapping:

This is more intended for those folks that were on the tour.

I have now placed all the original hi-res photos into a photo sub-folder in my Dropbox main folder. You can download the originals that I used in the slideshow if you wish from this link ....

Alps Tour Dropbox

I also have the GPS tracks loaded and some of the videos. I will be adding more video as I get them ready.

If any of the folks would like to upload the original photo or video files I am willing to host them here. Please PM me and I will set you up with access.

Here is yet another lame ass video from the Alps. This time we are starting up the Manghen Pass in Italy. Uri does not get off to a good start in this video plus I have to thread my way through some unexpected traffic at about 7:57 in the video ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3LZtg2EaMM&hd=1

Enjoy!