2012 SE Ohio Ramble - May 11-14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speed but no sense of direction.. Damn fool is heading north.

Jess kiddin' right now, but we all know he's gonna end up circling something someplace.. :lol:

Bust, look at Lake Milton State Park. Now with two markers that close together indicate a circle to you are not.

Head Honcho Wheaton laying down the law in Caldwell tonight...

Good roads, good weather, good people - just doesn't get any better than this...

2012-05-11220838.jpg

It was a chilly, rainy morning. The Geeks decided to head for the homestead, Candy Butt-style. So after 100-and-somethingish mostly wet slab miles we are home. Of course, the skies cleared up just as we hit Columbus.

We had a great time, and I had the honor of leading the Fockers group yesterday. In honor of Bungie, I did lead us on a U-turn. Or two. Ish. Anyway, the Fockers were a great group to ride with.

Thanks again to Wheaton for throwing this together. :clapping:

When I get around to it, I'll throw some pictures in here.

Everyone ride safe getting home.

Ya gotta love FJRs: the bike will lure you in, the people will keep you coming back.

Great weekend, even if it was rain shortened. U.P. & I are home. We punched north out of the rain & worked northwest through buggy country.

Great day on Saturday.

Ride safe everyone.

A few pictures...

We saw quite a few of these signs over the weekend.

IMG_2778.jpg

Only in small towns can you see stuff like this.

IMG_2781.jpg

Extrememarine and Vader.

IMG_2796.jpg

Captain U-Turn, AKA Bungie.

IMG_2798.jpg

Meet the Fockers. We adopted DesignFlow a little later.

IMG_0022.jpg

On our way to the overlook the group in front of us was leaving, led by Useless Pickles. He's very slow.

IMG_2850.jpg

At the overlook.

IMG_0025.jpg

Lunch on Saturday.

IMG_2871.jpg

MAN but did we see a lot of these.

IMG_2876.jpg

And these.

IMG_2877.jpg

Looking back at the Fockers.

IMG_2880.jpg

Read it. Learn it. Live it.

IMG_2892.jpg

We had passed the site where Robert (on the right) tried to jump a ditch on his FJR last year. Nobody tried that this time, which was good. Here's Robert and extrememarine discussing last year's "incident."

IMG_2893.jpg

Buncha hippies. Especially that guy with the yellow stripe on his leg.

IMG_2894.jpg

Now THIS was a helluva good idea. After dinner, and after a few adult beverages, it was time for the Slow Speed Contest, AKA "Who's gonna be the first jackass to drop their bike?"

IMG_2897.jpg

It was pretty amusing. UselessPickles (the near bike) won. Told you he's slow.

IMG_2902.jpg

Then it was time for the 2-Up Slow Speed Contest. I knew better than to throw a leg over my bike, so Ray borrowed Sooze for a pillion. Not sure what we were thinking...

IMG_2906.jpg

This morning was wet.

IMG_2911.jpg

North Dakota bound.

IMG_2912.jpg

Griff (left) and Wheaton(right - in his haz-mat suit) getting their bluetooth devices to dongle together or something so that Wheaton could talk to Griff and interrupt his music.

IMG_2913.jpg

Never did see Robert or Richard this morning. Guess they had "Altitude Sickness" or something.

IMG_2914.jpg

We have more. I may post 'em up or just do a ride report.

Had a great, GREAT time!

Happy to see everyone had a good time and safe ride.

I so wanted to do this, but mother's day, no way.

OK so Mom is 87, but she can still kick my a$$.

I headed home Saturday to catch hell from the wife, after the bitching stopped...she did have a great dinner waiting for me (guess she felt bad for screaming at me, about my lack of being able to call/or text her for 6 hrs on Friday). A fantastic Ramble Saturday...498 miles for the day. Looking forward to next years Ramble.

Thanks Mark & Denny for putting together the great route on Saturday :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm here with Griff in southern Indiana. Rained all frickin day as we headed sw into the rain. Saw the Canadians hunkered down in McConnelsville...probably drinking a 6 pack to relax and get their riding groove on.

Just wanted to say I had the best time riding on Saturday....it was all good, the riding, the fibbing afterwards, and cheering on the super slow riders in the parking lot.

Geeks...great pictures...thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
What a bunch of CBA riders! A little bit of rain and everybody bolted like electrocuted lemmings.

Theirs only us dumbass Cdn's left at the hotel this fine Sunday. Ya, it rained. Not hard, but all day. Ya, parts of us got wet, some more than others... You do NOT want to go in Moosehead and the boys room. They've got the heat going full blast along with burning out a hair dryer trying to dry their stuff out. Smells like the entire grade 9 football team had a shower in there.

Anyway, we still did about 85% of the west route. Got a slippy in spots. Man, theirs lots of cow shit on some of the roads around here. No accidents, slides or anything. We lived. Imagine that. Oh ya, JohnD was leading and I was riding second spot and I see him go over one of SE Ohio's favourite 'humps'. So seeing as how we couldn't rail the corners properly owing to the dampness, I took a good run at it. In 3rd. At redline.

I'm gonna enter the FJR at the next Supercross.

It came down HARD. Oops. :)

We hit up Jimbo's for lunch. Not a single HD to be seen. I don't think theirs ever been that many FJR's there ever. We let all the HD riders now the FJR riders were in town by leaving a HUGE puddles of water under our chairs. Heheheh.. THey're gonna think it's just water.

Anyway, the most common thing heard on the Sena's today was 'This road would be awesome if it was dry". I thought the roads were pretty awesome even in the wet.

Time for me to go help the guys finish up the beer and then pack it in. I've got a bit of a ride tomorrow.

Pics/Video to follow. Thanks to Wheatness for organizing this. SE Ohio kicks ass and I had probably the best single day of riding I've had in about 2 years. Just awesome.

naskie and I made it home just fine. Left with UselessPickless and extrememarine about 8 AM until those two split off in Dover to head home. Nick and I decided to make the best of the extra time and headed up to Cleveland to go to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. Got there about 10, left about noon after a bite to eat. We both made it home in time for Mother's Day dinner.

I'll get pictures and videos posted later on.

Yep, Canadians and FJRs ruled SE Ohio today in the rain. Just a few slides, bobbles and Bungie jumps. We're back safe and sound and mostly dry now except for Moosehead, Peter, and Ryan finishing off the beer in the hot tub.

Just remembered...

With all that rain yesterday, I hope the folks who left the guy outside in the wheelchair remembered to bring him in...

:blink:

:lol:

What a bunch of CBA riders! A little bit of rain and everybody bolted like electrocuted lemmings

AmishFJR and I bailed because of the rain. Neither of us felt like Testing our luck on those twists and turns in the rain. We left after breakfast headed East toward Lancaster and drove out of the rain in about an hour and drove into sun and 80's. I picked up my phone from CVS where I dropped it in Lancaster and still felt pretty good so I kept on going toward home. I wanted to run back thru a few of the roads in the Deleware Water Gap National Park during the day to see the area I rode thru at night afew days ago, nice area, nice roads.

I made it home at 10PM last night safe and in need of vitamin I.

Thanks Mark and everyone who helped for setting this up I had a great time, I'm going to need to come back again for some more Ramble fun.

It was good to see some of you peeps again and meet some new ones I hope to ride with some of you again.

Next year maybe.

THANKS to the Geeks for leading us Fockers around on Saturday. You guys are Great.

And a big THANKS to Ed for letting me show up in the middle of the night giving me a place to rest then company on the slab ride out and back.

Peter

Just remembered...

With all that rain yesterday, I hope the folks who left the guy outside in the wheelchair remembered to bring him in...

:blink:

:lol:

I guess it depends on how much they like him if he got brought in.

He seemed to be enjoying a nice afternoon nap.

What a bunch of CBA riders! A little bit of rain and everybody bolted like electrocuted lemmings

AmishFJR and I bailed because of the rain. Neither of us felt like Testing our luck on those twists and turns in the rain. We left after breakfast headed East toward Lancaster and drove out of the rain in about an hour and drove into sun and 80's. I picked up my phone from CVS where I dropped it in Lancaster and still felt pretty good so I kept on going toward home. I wanted to run back thru a few of the roads in the Deleware Water Gap National Park during the day to see the area I rode thru at night afew days ago, nice area, nice roads.

I made it home at 10PM last night safe and in need of vitamin I.

Thanks Mark and everyone who helped for setting this up I had a great time, I'm going to need to come back again for some more Ramble fun.

It was good to see some of you peeps again and meet some new ones I hope to ride with some of you again.

Next year maybe.

THANKS to the Geeks for leading us Fockers around on Saturday. You guys are Great.

And a big THANKS to Ed for letting me show up in the middle of the night giving me a place to rest then company on the slab ride out and back.

Peter
You are daring riding the Delaware Water Gap at night. I couldn't believe the forest rats in that area!