2013 FJR Pricing Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local dealer (Troy City Garage) is asking $14,500 + 150 freight + 65 prep. for $14,715 OTD. BUT the bike isn't due in until February.

In the end I compromised between price and convenience. I drove 180 miles to Sehorn Yamaha in Shawnee OK and picked up the bike for $14,800 out the door plus 20% off of top truck and accessories and $445 for the YES warranty. Apparently I could've saved an addition $500 if I was willing to travel pretty long distances and wait for a '13 to arrive but Sehorn had the '13 on the floor and I felt the pricing was more than fair. When considering prices, tax differences, fees, freight and so on that my local dealer was adding I saved $1,700.00. Not too shabby for a 3 hour drive.

And a quick pitch for the folks at Sehorn. Everything they did was on a handshake and faith. I've never had an easier deal go down. As an example, when I was loading the bike into my pickup they thought their soft straps and tiesdowns would be better and just gave me a set of 4. Very nice.

I think you got a very fair price from a very good dealership. We would all like to be able to buy a new FJR for very close to dealer cost but if the dealer sold everything at cost they would not be in business very long and we are losing dealerships a lot faster than we are gaining them. Everyone benefits from an extended Yamaha dealer chain especially when the good ones are staying in business.

Enjoy your new ride! :clapping:

+1 & congrats!

My local dealer (the hated ride now) probably won't come off msrp more than 700, but they will match d&h's YES price. I've called 3 other dealers in the state and a couple of them won't get any more other than what they've already sold until next year. I'm working on a deal for the ONE '13 ride now is getting in. I'll know more for sure next week.
How much are the fees they are going to charge?
Still negotiating. I'll let you know when I get a firm quote. It seems there are quite a few dealers posted in here at <$15,000 OTD fees included so Im going to use that to negotiate.

My local dealer (the hated ride now) probably won't come off msrp more than 700, but they will match d&h's YES price. I've called 3 other dealers in the state and a couple of them won't get any more other than what they've already sold until next year. I'm working on a deal for the ONE '13 ride now is getting in. I'll know more for sure next week.
Still negotiating. I'll let you know when I get a firm quote. It seems there are quite a few dealers posted in here at <$15,000 OTD fees included so Im going to use that to negotiate.
I just closed a deal yesterday for $15,000 OTD and $500 for 4YES. Good luck!

As of last night there is now a new '13 FJR in my garage. :yahoo:

In the end I compromised between price and convenience. I drove 180 miles to Sehorn Yamaha in Shawnee OK and picked up the bike for $14,800 out the door plus 20% off of top truck and accessories and $445 for the YES warranty. Apparently I could've saved an addition $500 if I was willing to travel pretty long distances and wait for a '13 to arrive but Sehorn had the '13 on the floor and I felt the pricing was more than fair. When considering prices, tax differences, fees, freight and so on that my local dealer was adding I saved $1,700.00. Not too shabby for a 3 hour drive.

And a quick pitch for the folks at Sehorn. Everything they did was on a handshake and faith. I've never had an easier deal go down. As an example, when I was loading the bike into my pickup they thought their soft straps and tiesdowns would be better and just gave me a set of 4. Very nice.

Thanks for everyone's help in this thread. It help make me very comfortable with my choice.

20121123_175302.jpg

Congrats!

So what VIN number do you have?

I just closed a deal yesterday for $15,000 OTD and $500 for 4YES. Good luck!
is there Tax on top of that?

R

is there Tax on top of that?
NH is the land of Live Free or Die (it's on our license plates). There is no sales tax. But, it will be expensive to register and get those afore mentioned plates.

ipass.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the lowest price I've seen. I don't get how they can push this price?

'13 FJR in Indianapolis
They haven't yet told you about the 'fees'. Expect some whoppers for shipping and set-up.
I called. A "phone quote" said OTD price was $14,599 plus T&T.
https://www.dreyercycle.com/m/showcase_unit.htm?id=382046&status=3 Hi Kevin, are you close enough to Dreyer Motorsports to check this out in person? Forum Member Jay Bird actually went into Dreyer and spoke to the Sales Manager, I would be really curious to see if the "phone quote" is another "bait and switch" tactic ploy!

If you do go into Dreyer M/S, please ask the Salesman if freight-setup-paperwork are included in the $14,599.
No - I am in Ohio. He started the conversation with "It's only 14,299" (or whatever they advertise). I asked specifically what the OTD price, only adding T&T, and he came back with the $14,599. But like you, I remain suspicious until a down payment is made. I didn't get as far to ask about YES, which I would also expect to be higher.

One of the nicest things about our Fine FJR Forum is the wonderful people that are members here! PapaChuy received a phone call last night from Jay Bird of Indiana who had inside information on Westfield Yamaha and Dreyer Motorsports regarding their…

A huge shout out of Muchas Gracias to FJR Forum Member Jay Bird for helping out his Papa Chuy Viejo, when you come to Phoenix Jay Bird I'll treat you to lunch at Serrano's Mexican Restaurant here in Chandler, AZ; Con Mucho Gusto!
Hey Don,

Those are pretty typical F & S fees. Mostly cost recovery as you know! D & H is pretty amazing settling for such a small profit on a" HOT "new unit! Maybe a quarterly hold back on the back side will help out.
Many thanks for the "inside the Industry" clarifications scuba tech, what does this mean: Maybe a quarterly hold back on the back side will help out. I don't understand what this means. Help?

Don,

Dealers often will get paid by the manufacturer for selling a lot of units as a profit bonus. It helps them out knowing they are having to make lots of discounts on deals with customers. No one would know except the dealers. Some of the European brands & Harley Davidson were able to keep their prices near retail for a long time but in the Asian bike market it's almost an impossibility even though they have the highest quality most reliable bikes in my opinion. I think it all started with blow out sales on Saturdays on dirt bikes & quads, especially in the fall. Now we all expect these big price drops.

I made a deal 3 weeks ago for $14,600 + TTL (10% discount off MSRP and only $300 freight/prep) and gave the dealer a $1,000 deposit (biggest multi-line, multi-branch dealer in Houston that I have done a lot of business with and they had none on the floor). They told me I would have the bike in 4 weeks because they were in the U.S and available for immediate shipment to the dealers. Went by yesterday to drop off my '10 Concours 14 for them to sell on consignment and get an update on the FJR and was told that they just found out that they can't get any '13 FJR's right now because they didn't place any advance orders. They are currently talking to their Yamaha rep about when they can get me one (they have 3 sold so far)--can't believe that this 600 pound gorilla of a dealer doesn't have enough clout with Yamaha to get some new FJR's now. Might have to wait for the next batch to come into the U.S. but, so far, my dealer can't find out when that will be--why would Yamaha hold back shipments when the demand is there? Did they just ship a few to select dealers that had placed advance orders and then stopped production for a while?

Is anyone else hearing this same story? What are you being quoted on delivery dates?

Everyone is getting the same story.

Some dealers ordered them in advance, others will not get there's until next February.......Thats why i paid full price for mine and got the first one.

If you don't mind flying and riding home there are lots around the country...

R

Um, hope you didn't miss anything but......fjr's aren't electric yet........I'm actually waiting for that...then I'd be first on the list....

I made a deal 3 weeks ago for $14,600 + TTL (10% discount off MSRP and only $300 freight/prep) and gave the dealer a $1,000 deposit (biggest multi-line, multi-branch dealer in Houston that I have done a lot of business with and they had none on the floor). They told me I would have the bike in 4 weeks because they were in the U.S and available for immediate shipment to the dealers. Went by yesterday to drop off my '10 Concours 14 for them to sell on consignment and get an update on the FJR and was told that they just found out that they can't get any '13 FJR's right now because they didn't place any advance orders. They are currently talking to their Yamaha rep about when they can get me one (they have 3 sold so far)--can't believe that this 600 pound gorilla of a dealer doesn't have enough clout with Yamaha to get some new FJR's now. Might have to wait for the next batch to come into the U.S. but, so far, my dealer can't find out when that will be--why would Yamaha hold back shipments when the demand is there? Did they just ship a few to select dealers that had placed advance orders and then stopped production for a while?

Is anyone else hearing this same story? What are you being quoted on delivery dates?
Electric-

I've heard similar stories here in Phoenix from ride now. They're a pretty big dealer having 6 or 7 locations in 2 states. The assistant mgr of one location whom I've known since they were metro motorsports told me the entire chain is getting 3. One is already sold, one is mine, one is going somewhere else. Considering the size of this dealer 3 is a pretty sparse number.

Mine was shipped yesterday so should be here in Phoenix next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a deal 3 weeks ago for $14,600 + TTL (10% discount off MSRP and only $300 freight/prep)...
For a brand new just released bike, you did good Electric! Hope your wait isn't too long and the dealer can dig one up soon...you won't be disappointed!

--G

I made a deal 3 weeks ago for $14,600 + TTL (10% discount off MSRP and only $300 freight/prep)...
For a brand new just released bike, you did good Electric! Hope your wait isn't too long and the dealer can dig one up soon...you won't be disappointed!

--G
Yeah, that's the rub. I'm really jazzed about getting this bike (loved my '03 except for the heat issue) AND already gave my Connie to the dealer to sell, so I don't currently have a good cold weather bike to ride.

My guess (and it is just that) is Yamaha is only building what they know they can realistically sell - but perhaps the demand is currently higher than they expected. With the economy in the crapper, they certainly don't want to over build and sit on inventory for a year or two (like Zuk kinda did with the Hayabusa and had to skip a year of production). Just don't buy them all and save me one - I'm still in the "debating with myself" mode, but if I do bite it's down to the FJR or another Hayabusa - and the FJR is in the lead because I'm just getting too decrepid to fold into the Zuk.

As I mentioned in the thread by the guy coming off the BMW GSA, I've had eye-to-eye discussions with the 3 local county Yamaha dealers and left my name/number with each indicating I'm ready to buy if at the right price. The 3rd of those was last Saturday with a dealer I've done biz with for 30+ yrs, asking him to check availability and call me with their best price. "Your price target?" he asked, to which I replied; 10% off MSRP + tax & DMV fees. No callback, so I called him again this afternoon. After checking with his GM, their "best" price was MSRP + $795 delivery + $285 prep + fees. Bottom line for me, No Sale. Its a tough price we pay in California for year-round riding, i.e., dealers set terms of sale since residents can't import new motos into CA from another state. For well over $18K OTD, I'll buy something lightly used...

After checking with his GM, their "best" price was MSRP + $795 delivery + $285 prep + fees. Bottom line for me, No Sale.
Yikes...that's a pretty stiff premium to pay, I can see your bottom line -- mine too!

Good luck with the search for a clean used FJR. You won't be disappointed.

--G