2013 FJR vs 2008 FJR vs 2010 C14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCRIDER007

Reaction score
Yesterday I visited Desert Valley Yamaha in Prosser, WA and spent a few minutes comparing the 2012 and 2013 FJRs and much to my surprise was offered a ride on the 2013. It was a new demo, really new, I was the first one to ride it. The salesman (actually the owner's son) asked me to compare it to the C14 I was riding. I also have a 2008 FJR so I tried to compare it to both of my bikes. I rode the 2013 about 40 miles on varying road surfaces and sweeping corners, I didn't have access to any 25-35 mph corners but I think I have a pretty good idea of how it would handle in the tight twisties.

Here are my overall impressions:

Engine -- Extremely smooth at low rpms, not as smooth at highway speeds, has some vibration through the handlebars but not enough to be annoying. It was a brand new engine so that might improve but overall it was very similar to my 2008 but not quite as smooth as the C14 (comparing 5th to 5th). The differences between the FJR and the C14 are not enough to influence a purchase decision. Power wise, I thought the Touring mode was very similar to my the 2008 and the Sport mode was very similar to the C14. The Touring mode seemed to be a little smoother and would probably be the one I would use most of the time.

Transmission -- Very smooth, better than the 2008, about the same as the C14.

Seat -- I seem to be one of the few that like the GEN2 seats and this one is even better...and it is much better than the OEM seat on the C14.

Bells and Whistles -- Very similar to the C14. The FJR has cruise control but the C14 has a tire monitoring system. Both have ABS, Traction Control, and linked brakes. The brakes on the 2013 did not seem to be as strong as my 2008 and C14 but seemed very adequate and may get better with a little breakin.

Dash Display -- Very cool, I really liked the large digital speedometer. The digital display on the right screen was pretty useless, at least for my old eyes. I could read the windshield and hand grips display but the rest of the numbers were too small. I don't know who thought that using the windshield and hand grips should be a 2 step process but it was a stupid idea.

Windshield -- Very smooth operation but too small for my extended torso. Needs to be taller and wider to be effective.

Suspension -- My favorite topic but hard to compare to my bikes because both have upgraded suspension on both ends and its been a while since I have ridden either bike with OEM suspension. I started with the shock in the soft position and immediately noticed really slow steering . The ride on straight smooth surfaces was very plush, almost as good as my C14 and much better than the C14 with OEM suspension. I think it is also better than the 2008 was with OEM suspension. I switched to the shock's hard position after 15 miles and left it there as both the ride and handling was better in that position. I used to use the soft position on both my 2005 and 2008 because I got a harsh ride with the hard setting but the damping on the 2013 seems to complement the hard setting and the result is a better ride and better handling.

When the roads weren't as smooth, the 2013's soft suspension quickly became a liability and the faster I rode the worse it was. Little bumps felt like big bumps and big bumps turned into jolts. As much as liked the magic carpet ride on smooth surfaces, the 2013 is a sports-tourer and needs firmer suspension for that role. The OEM suspension works great for a solo rider in a touring mode (which is how I primarily use my C14) but is too soft in a sports mode. Changing the shock is easy, just plan on spending $800-1200. Fixing the forks is not so easy since Yamaha chose to save a few bucks and give us a non-adjustable left fork. Traxxion says they have a solution and I have heard GP Suspension also know what needs to be done but its going to cost more to upgrade the forks and simply transferring the front suspension (like I did from the 2005 to the 2008) is no longer a easy option.

What will you have after upgrading the suspension? I think you will have exactly the same thing you have with a GEN2 with upgraded suspension....no better but no worse. You will lose some of the really plush ride the 2013 currently offers on smooth surfaces but it will be a much better sport-tourer. In OEM suspension comparison, I would rank the 2013 as the best on smooth surfaces but behind the C14 the rest of the time. Upgrading the suspension closes the gap to a C14 with upgraded suspension but the C14 will always have an advantage with its inverted forks and stiffer frame. However, the FJR carries its weight a little lower than the C14 making it more nimble in tight corners and easier to ride on unfamiliar roads.

Buying impressions -- The 2013 is a great buy over previous models and I think offers slightly more value than a C14. It would certainly be my choice if I didn't have a bike and wanted a Sports-Tourer. I would also spend the $$$ and upgrade the suspension although I could see that a lot of riders could be very happy with the OEM suspension. However, for someone that already has a GEN2, especially those with upgraded suspensions, its going to cost quite a bit to make the switch and when you get done you are going to have new bells and whistles rather than a vastly improved motorcycle. It will, however, put a smile on you face every time you ride it. I spent $7200 to upgrade from a 2008 to 2010 C14 to get more bells and whistles and while I can't justify the cost of the upgrade, I have never regretted spending the money.

Its nice to have so many options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good review...thanks.
Maybe my next bike will be a slightly used 2012...with which I will upgrade the seat and suspension.
Thanks 07!

Wheatie? Don't buy the 12's.. They are time bombs waiting to go off...
smile.png

Good review...thanks.Maybe my next bike will be a slightly used 2012...with which I will upgrade the seat and suspension.
I think your greatest bang for the buck would be any slightly used 2008-2012 FJR and if you can find one with upgraded suspension (like George did) you will save enough $$$$ to buy another bike.

Nice write-up Steve. One of these days I must take a '13 for a spin to check it out myself. I'm holding out for inverted forks and the Euro black color scheme...
punk.gif

Good review...thanks.Maybe my next bike will be a slightly used 2012...with which I will upgrade the seat and suspension.
I think your greatest bang for the buck would be any slightly used 2008-2012 FJR and if you can find one with upgraded suspension (like George did) you will save enough $$$$ to buy another bike.
Yep, I scored finding my current '09 with all the goodies included! Haven't bought another bike yet...

--G

Good review. I wonder how it would compair to my Gen I with upgraded suspension.
I think you would be very impressed with the 2013. When I bought my 2008 I had a 2005 with upgraded suspension and my intention was to transfer the suspension ASAP. It didn't happen for almost 3 years because I preferred riding the 2008 and didn't want to fix something that didn't seem to be broken. When I finally transferred the suspension it was a pleasant surprise to find out that it worked better in the 2008 than it did in the 2005 although some of that may have been due to a heaver spring being installed in the Wilbers shock when I had it rebuilt (prior to installing it on the 2008).

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write-up Steve. One of these days I must take a '13 for a spin to check it out myself. I'm holding out for inverted forks and the Euro black color scheme
If the 2013 had inverted forks I would have had one in my garage months ago but my dealer....who has been talking to his Yamaha rep....doesn't think it is going to happen for several years.

Nice write-up, Steve.

You can score an 08 pretty cheap now, and even with the suspension upgrades, its still only a $9k bike. Pretty good deal, methinks.

the 08 forks with transfer over to the 13.........
R
Yes they will.....or I could buy a new 2012 left fork (cheapest price I've found is $458) and then transfer the suspension to the 13....or I could could buy a used 06-12 left fork on ebay (my choice) except they never seem to have any for sale. A complete swap of the 08 forks to the 13 would be the easiest and low cost option if I could find a buyer that didn't mind having the new "improved" 13 forks on an 08.