2013 owners - do you see much difference in which position the vents are in?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatlandor

Reaction score
Hot hot hot today. Ride was like a sauna.

Being curious, I stopped about 45 minutes from home and put one of the fairing vents in the "upper" position and one in the "lower" position and rode home. I couldn't really tell any difference.

So what are you guys experiencing? What position do you have them in and can you really tell a difference?

In the heat, I don't feel any difference. I do want to see if there is a difference in the cold though.

I swapped mine from out to in. No difference I can tell.

But the test is always when it's cold, differences get magnified. Like opening the vents on your helmet in the heat, unless your sweating profusely, no difference. Do it when it's cold out and YIKES!

Having looked closely at my gen 2, the "vents" look more like deflectors.

It seems that if they are in the out position, air flow will be directed further out and would be a benefit in the cold.

Have to test this fall.

when I bought my bike in April it was 36 degrees. I had about an hour and a half ride home from the shop to where I live. After about a half hour I remembered the sides could be adjusted out. It made a slight difference, but not significant. It was in the 90's here last week, and I couldn't get enough air on my legs with the vents at the lowest position. I agree with Nanahanman, they do seem to make a difference in the colder weather.

So we are saying that the side panels should be in the lowest position ("in") for summer and in the upper position ("out") for winter?

So we are saying that the side panels should be in the lowest position ("in") for summer and in the upper position ("out") for winter?
Yep to the above. Ya really gotta try it barefoot, in the cold, to tell a difference. There is just a touch of heat on the ankles. Later,,,De
smile.png

I haven't looked closely at the 13 "vents", but I suspect they work the same as the Gen II ones. Which is to say that they don't work much, but do make a little difference in cold weather. I do a fair amount of riding in cold temps (down to my personal record of 17 degrees) on my 07 and notice my legs are a little less cold with the "vents" out because they deflect more cold air away from my legs.

Don't waste your time. They are a poorly executed gimik. Very few people feel any difference at all, and if you happen do drop the bike with them open, they get rashed.

Their stupid little tabs will eventually break, and they will fly off at speed. If you're cold, put on long johns...

I thought I would switch mine from upper to lower today, to see if I could tell any difference for a ride tomorrow. Left off and on...check. Right one off, but what's that? The clip came off from from the end. Tried to put the clip on and reinstall, but no luck. After 4 or 5 times of failure, I took the left back off to make sure I'm putting the clip on correctly. Well what do you know....it's broke. Not sure how or why it broke, but it's broke. So off to the dealership to see if they even have one tomorrow morning. If they do, I'll get 2.

Have changed them several times and cannot note any change in the hot weather. Perhaps leaving them in the garage at home works best?

Latest posts