2013 Owners, MPG better in Touring or Sport Mode?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My '05 is always in Sport mode..
rolleyes.gif

I logged 43.5 mpg in sport mode with over 1000 miles. Tour mode I logged 47.5 mpg and I have noticed I can go farther on a tank of gas in tour mode.

Got a 14A and believer other than the color, not much difference between 13 and 14. Over the same twisty roads, didn't see much difference between S and T mileage. Did like S in tight 3D twisties but everywhere else T did the job. Actually IMO a whole lot of the power delivery issue are psychosomatic,

My trip to NAFO this year in LaCrosse was 3,623 miles R/T. Average mpg was 49.3 and all was in Sport mode, I'm a happy camper with that mileage, not sure what "T" mode would bring me.

My trip to NAFO this year in LaCrosse was 3,623 miles R/T. Average mpg was 49.3 and all was in Sport mode, I'm a happy camper with that mileage, not sure what "T" mode would bring me.
Same here. I used to use Tour mode in tight traffic, but I never use it any more. I've gotten over 50 many times while following my Goldwing buddy in the Ozarks at 60mph.

I wondered it Atleon was using S mode for sport riding and T otherwise. It's only that your mileage would fall off on a sportier ride.

Great topic and one that I've gotten nix-eh'd on by my Beemer friends. I "think" I get better mileage in Rain Mode (the gun-shy throttle response on the K16). My buds tell me I'm crazy (which I am, no argument there!). It makes sense if you think about it. Less throttle response should equal slightly better mileage? With the torque monster 6, I've got about what I am use to with riding in Rain mode, so no biggie for me. The majority K-guys think it's sacrilegious to ride in RM, so, you know I have to do it just to be different
wink.png

On my last <5K mile venture. I mostly kept it in Rain Mode unless I was in the twisty mountains. Ave was 48.7, not too shabby and better than my FJR , -AND- I highly doubt I could of got that mileage in all "Sport Mode". That argument continues I guess, there are a few K16 mileage misers who have 50+ mpg avgs. I haven't seen that yet, but I also blow my personal stats all to heck when I get into the mountains.
K16.gif

DSC01398_zps1f3c40d7.jpg

Good to see this conversation here as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to get a little squirrelly in traffic with my FJR because the great throttle response makes me want to solve the traffic problem with my right wrist...to the detriment of traffic law observance.

The 2013 in T mode seems to not bait me into doing that. If I really want to get by in T Mode I just drop a gear and get the revs up. On the way back from the frozen north with the new bike, I put it in S Mode going through the mountain interstate in light to moderate traffic. Man was that fun! The throttle response on the 13 in S Mode is a lot snappier than my 04 ever was.

I look forward to learning all the ins and outs of this awesome bike!

I usually ride in S (sport) mode and get about 44 mpg.

When I ride 2 up (w/ wife or daughter) I switch into T (tittie) mode and ride nice and smooth to please the females and get about 45 mpg.

I only use touring mode. Sport feels like a gimmick. Haven't noticed any difference in fuel milege, not that the factory computation would tell me anyway. It thinks I get the same mileage from a week of around town driving as a 500 mile day on the interstate.

I only use touring mode. Sport feels like a gimmick. Haven't noticed any difference in fuel milege, not that the factory computation would tell me anyway. It thinks I get the same mileage from a week of around town driving as a 500 mile day on the interstate.
Are you resetting it at each fill up?

43 MPG average in Sport mode. My wife has been riding with me a lot. Getting poked in the back while she screams though the intercom to slow down really improves my MPG.

Touring mode is so anemic that I never use it so I can't tell.
Above 4000 rpm there is no difference on touring or sport mode. The full horsepower is available in both modes. So once you are driving at 70mph plus it doesn't matter what mode you are in.

I tend to get a little squirrelly in traffic with my FJR because the great throttle response makes me want to solve the traffic problem with my right wrist...to the detriment of traffic law observance.
The 2013 in T mode seems to not bait me into doing that. If I really want to get by in T Mode I just drop a gear and get the revs up. On the way back from the frozen north with the new bike, I put it in S Mode going through the mountain interstate in light to moderate traffic. Man was that fun! The throttle response on the 13 in S Mode is a lot snappier than my 04 ever was.

I look forward to learning all the ins and outs of this awesome bike!
I always said that Dad's '07 came equipped with a little devil that sat on your shoulder urging you to "Go Faster, go faster, lean farther, rev it higher..."

When Pop rode my '15 Tour Mode was the first thing he commented on. "This Tour Mode will keep you from getting a ticket and man is it smooooth"

However, I cannot get comfortable with Tour Mode. In heavy traffic I rely heavily on the Right Now! power delivery of Sport Mode. I do have trouble with feeling that I am "Above the Law" in Sport Mode and it seems capable of bending the laws of physics. I am here. I want to be there! I can just twist the throttle and space and time compress like something out of a science fiction novel.

All that and heated grips too? What's not to love?

Great topic and one that I've gotten nix-eh'd on by my Beemer friends. I "think" I get better mileage in Rain Mode (the gun-shy throttle response on the K16). My buds tell me I'm crazy (which I am, no argument there!). It makes sense if you think about it. Less throttle response should equal slightly better mileage? With the torque monster 6, I've got about what I am use to with riding in Rain mode, so no biggie for me. The majority K-guys think it's sacrilegious to ride in RM, so, you know I have to do it just to be different ;)
On my last <5K mile venture. I mostly kept it in Rain Mode unless I was in the twisty mountains. Ave was 48.7, not too shabby and better than my FJR , -AND- I highly doubt I could of got that mileage in all "Sport Mode". That argument continues I guess, there are a few K16 mileage misers who have 50+ mpg avgs. I haven't seen that yet, but I also blow my personal stats all to heck when I get into the mountains. [img=[URL="https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/images/smilies/K16.gif%5D"]https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/images/smilies/K16.gif][/URL]

[img=[URL="https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m215/gokartsrus/BMW/NAFO-EOM%202014/Day%20Home%2012/DSC01398_"]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m215/gokartsrus/BMW/NAFO-EOM%202014/Day%20Home%2012/DSC01398_[/URL]

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252

{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-Regular;}

{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;}

\deftab720

\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs34 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0

\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \

}

Good to see this conversation here as well!
My K16 spends most of its life I rain mode. The hotter modes result mostly in the traction controls efforts to change the ignition curves to keep the wheels from attempted spins. Besides once your neck snaps and your arms are attempting to lengthen beyond their intended length you have long lost control of the vehicle, needless to say you are probably quite busy in a survival mode so you are probably not paying enough attention to the bumper to bumper freeway traffic moving along at 90 mph.

I'm a big fan of of the Gen III electronic throttle. Sport mode vs. touring mode - it usually depends on my mood. Each has a usefulness. I suspect that I get better mileage in T mode since I switch over to S if I'm planning to wring it out a bit.

I was surprised to find that I especially like the T mode when riding twisties. It allows for a silky smooth easing on of the throttle when cornering. It's quite a pleasant change from my '07 (which had the well-known surge) and better than my '05 (which was decently linear compared to the '07)