2014 FJR1300A versus 2015 FJR1300 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motorcycles are not practical decisions. Or at least shouldn't be. They are decisions of passion. So buy what really makes your heart go pitter-patter. And don't be afraid to travel some distance to get what you want.

I sat on the bike at Hinshaw's a couple of weeks ago. It is on the showroom floor but is used. They have a new 2014A also. I can swing by on my way home from work tomorrow and see if it is still there.

Best advice so far...get what makes you happy. Over the life of the bike, a couple thousand $$$ isn't that much.

I desperately want a new '15 ES, but I plan to be patient and pick up a low mile lightly used one when the opportunity presents itself. In the mean time my "old" POS '09 with GP forks / Penske shock will just have to do! Poor me!!
smile.png

Good luck and happy hunting!

--G

Everyone has their own opinion, of course, but I'd go for the '14 A -- unless you do a fair amount of two up riding and thus have a real need to change the suspension a lot. Set up the suspension on the '14 A to suit you, and just ride the bike. Few of us will ever push the bike even close to its mechanical limits. Sounds like you can get a great deal on a '14 A right now -- I'd do it.

....I like the manual clutch...
That's the only option for him - don't mistake the US "ES" with the European "AS" (which I have). In Europe the US's "ES" is called the "AE", there is no Gen III European "AS" available in the US, but it it were it would be called the "AE".
Confused?
I know that!I wrote that ''I like the manual clutch''because i don't like the ''Auto clutch''Not confused!
smile.png
Was only my opinion..

Last edited by a moderator:
I sat on the bike at Hinshaw's a couple of weeks ago. It is on the showroom floor but is used. They have a new 2014A also. I can swing by on my way home from work tomorrow and see if it is still there.
Makes sense now. They have both then, a slightly used 2014 ES for 12,999 and a new 2014 A for 12,999. Thier listing doesnt give any mileage on the the used ES. Think I will give them a call today, as they have not responded to my email inquiry.

This is redundant but if riding includes a fair amount 2 up get the ES; If 1 UP get the A and ride it for some time to decide if you want to put some of the savings back into dialing the suspension in to suit your weight and style. I expect the ES unit to be sound however, I would want to know what it would cost to replace if the electronics failed outside of the warranty period. For me the 2014 A was the choice as I don't ride two up. With another 2K miles or so my A model may be heading in to KFG Racing for suspension upgrades paid for with the money saved on the non ES. A plus of ES model is the ability to go soft on crap road surfaces.

I don't know if I ride well enough to feel the improvement in suspension going from an 13 A to a 14 ES model but I do like easily going from a Cadillac ride on the slab to a sporty firm ride when I get to the destination twisties.
It all boils down to if you have to have the best and if the ease of changing the suspension is worth $1000.00 to you. I'm pretty sure I would go with the ES again if I had it to do over again tomorrow.
X2. Ease of suspension adjustment depending on road and load conditons is nice.

I have been out of riding for many, many years, always kept the license . I started looking at the 2014 FJR 1300ES last year. Well I found a 2014 ES, used with 7100 miles on it. So I finally pulled the plug and bought it. I was nervous about riding a big bike, well at least bigger than I have ever had in the past. I road it off the lot and home no problems. I look forward to getting use to the bike and riding more. I love it so far. I just have to get use to it again and buy some accessories.

I have been out of riding for many, many years, always kept the license . I started looking at the 2014 FJR 1300ES last year. Well I found a 2014 ES, used with 7100 miles on it. So I finally pulled the plug and bought it. I was nervous about riding a big bike, well at least bigger than I have ever had in the past. I road it off the lot and home no problems. I look forward to getting use to the bike and riding more. I love it so far. I just have to get use to it again and buy some accessories.
Congrats on pulling the trigger! Now you need to update your profile from "considering an FJR" and join us for an event or two.

Welcome to the FJR club! There's a ton of us FJR riders around the Puget Sound and many get together for rides, socializing and working on these awesome machines. Check out the Pacific Northwest subforum for local activities.

Hope they got a better deal then that price....

Congrats - on the new ride, think your going to love it....

Welcome to the FJR club! There's a ton of us FJR riders around the Puget Sound and many get together for rides, socializing and working on these awesome machines. Check out the Pacific Northwest subforum for local activities.
Echoing Harald, keep a watch out for spring Tech Day information. Great way to meet some locals and see 30 - 40 fully farkled FJRs!

--G

I would buy the cheaper non ES and take the money saved and install an Ohlins and GP fork cartridges, and have a fantastic handling bike. Set it and forget it.

Yeah, I went by today and found out they sold the ES. Sounds to me like greysarbor up above bought it. The dealer told me the guy that traded it in decided he liked the 2015 color better than the red. Must be nice to be able to do that. They do still have the brand new 2014 FJR1300A.

I am leaning toward the 2015 ES for three reasons: Color, the ES option, and it's new. I can buy a brand new 2014 A model off the floor for less than $13K (tax, delivery,prep included) but I cannot get around all that red. The 14 red bikes may be good candidates for some type of well-thought-out striping kits to add some contrast. (the 15s might benefit as well from some striping/decals) I know some simply don't like the color of the 15's either, but it all comes down to personal preference and what makes you happy.

Now a little off topic, but still concerning a 15ES:

I am hoping to bring the 2015ES bike home sometime this coming week. I actually helped remove the cardboard cover from the 15ES shipping crate with the shop owner this past week. He's a great guy and we talked motor mods and racing, mainly on v-twins and a few older Kaw 900 motors. He showed me the invoice document and the invoice price for the 15 ES on that document was $14,735 (if memory serves...if that is not exact it's damn close). He wants to make $1000 bux on the bike. He said he has to "write a check for that invoice amount" when the bike sells. Is he being straight with me?

Does anyone know if there is a "holdback" amount on bikes from the manufacturer that is part of the invoice price? (kinda like in automobiles)

I want my dealer to survive and be healthy, but at the same time I want to be able to haggle yet know where I need to draw the line and stop pushing.

Thanks for any advice you guys may have. Ride safe.

Yeah, I went by today and found out they sold the ES. Sounds to me like greysarbor up above bought it. The dealer told me the guy that traded it in decided he liked the 2015 color better than the red. Must be nice to be able to do that. They do still have the brand new 2014 FJR1300A.
Thanks for taking a look. i called them on Friday and they told me it had gone. According to the guy I spoke to it had 6 - 7000 miles on the ODO.

Looked at two 2014 A models yesterday. One at Ride Motorsports in Woodinville listed at $11990. Not impressed, the bike was crammed in amongst some used bikes away from the main showroom floor. It was dirty, had obviously been out for a test ride or something (30 miles on ODO). I couldn't get a decent look around the bike because of other bikes parked to close. I did see several dinks and scratches in the paintwork. The sales guy didn't have a clue about the bike. He told me the owner gets most of his bikes via lot purchases from dealers going out of business.

The second bike was at Adventure Motorsports in Monroe. Much better experience there. Had a reasonable salesman/customer exchange. Bike is listed at 13999 but they gave me a verbal promise that hey could match anything Hinshaws could do. The 2014 A listed at Hinshaws is 12999 plus delivery prep etc.

Looks like I may be able to negotiate between the two dealers for a better price. At least get the dealer prep and delivery etc thrown in. I would be happy with 13k out the door.

Still a week or so away from making a decision. Got to move some funds around. Lucky enough to be able to borrow from retirement funds at negligible interest. No need to get a loan or finance.

Cheers

Bill

Congrats greysabor, was looking at this very bike myself.

Yeah, I was in Bothell for some other business a couple of weeks ago and decided to stop into Ride Motorsports while I was in the area. That was the worse dealership experience that I have ever had.