2014 FJR1300A versus 2015 FJR1300 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did buy the 2014 ES from Auburn. Thought I better do it before the opportunity disappeared. People may be getting their tax money soon. The dealership told me the original owner bought the 2014 ES and then two of his buddies bought the same bike. He did not want to have the same as his friends so he traded it in on a 2015.

I also looked at Monroe for a 2014 ES. At that time they said they had a new 14 ES in a crate, but were asking 3K more in price. Three days later they said it was gone.

I negotiated 800 off the price in Auburn for the used 14 ES. They wouldn't budge on a $780 extended warranty. So, I called around and found I could get it for half their price at another dealer.

I really like this forum. There is so mush information on here. It is great for determining what accessories I should get and how to access things on the bike and activities.

... I really like this forum. There is so mush information on here. It is great for determining what accessories I should get and how to access things on the bike and activities.
Some of us try to help. Others are simply trying ;) .

Glad you got your new bike, enjoy it, but respect it. It can very easily lead you into situations you'd rather not have got in to.

Yeah, I went by today and found out they sold the ES. Sounds to me like greysarbor up above bought it. The dealer told me the guy that traded it in decided he liked the 2015 color better than the red. Must be nice to be able to do that. They do still have the brand new 2014 FJR1300A.
Thanks for taking a look. i called them on Friday and they told me it had gone. According to the guy I spoke to it had 6 - 7000 miles on the ODO.

Looked at two 2014 A models yesterday. One at Ride Motorsports in Woodinville listed at $11990. Not impressed, the bike was crammed in amongst some used bikes away from the main showroom floor. It was dirty, had obviously been out for a test ride or something (30 miles on ODO). I couldn't get a decent look around the bike because of other bikes parked to close. I did see several dinks and scratches in the paintwork. The sales guy didn't have a clue about the bike. He told me the owner gets most of his bikes via lot purchases from dealers going out of business.

The second bike was at Adventure Motorsports in Monroe. Much better experience there. Had a reasonable salesman/customer exchange. Bike is listed at 13999 but they gave me a verbal promise that hey could match anything Hinshaws could do. The 2014 A listed at Hinshaws is 12999 plus delivery prep etc.

Looks like I may be able to negotiate between the two dealers for a better price. At least get the dealer prep and delivery etc thrown in. I would be happy with 13k out the door.

Still a week or so away from making a decision. Got to move some funds around. Lucky enough to be able to borrow from retirement funds at negligible interest. No need to get a loan or finance.

Cheers

Bill
I picked up 2014 A last weekend for $11500, plus set-up and tax.

Another local dealer has 2 for $11900 and $14500 for 2014 ES.

I went from a 13 A to a 14 ES model mostly for the color and the raving reports about the ES suspension. I had both 14 A & ES models available in the crate at my home town dealer when I moved up a year. I guess I was just wowed by the coolness of inverted forks and being able to adjust my suspension easily. I don't know if I ride well enough to feel the improvement in suspension going from an 13 A to a 14 ES model but I do like easily going from a Cadillac ride on the slab to a sporty firm ride when I get to the destination twisties.
It all boils down to if you have to have the best and if the ease of changing the suspension is worth $1000.00 to you. I'm pretty sure I would go with the ES again if I had it to do over again tomorrow.
"I don't know if I ride well enough to feel the improvement in suspension going from an 13 A to a 14 ES model"... Uh, I suspect you can ride well
winksmiley02.gif
, besides, even an average rider can appreciate the convenience and technology of the E suspension, even if it's mostly for 'entertainment'.

Best advice so far...get what makes you happy. Over the life of the bike, a couple thousand $$$ isn't that much.
I desperately want a new '15 ES, but I plan to be patient and pick up a low mile lightly used one when the opportunity presents itself. In the mean time my "old" POS '09 with GP forks / Penske shock will just have to do! Poor me!!
smile.png

Good luck and happy hunting!

--G
"In the mean time my "old" POS '09 with GP forks / Penske shock will just have to do! Poor me!!
smile.png
" Yea, I know, first world problems!