2014 horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+2 for "bitch slapping" love that term!! Back to the horn, does the Hella Super Tones require adding wire and splicing?
I ordered a harness from Eastern Beaver but it would be easy enough to build your own. I just looked at the EB site and don't see the Horn Wiring Kit listed so he may have stopped producing it.

You only need a relay if the new horns draw more power (current) than the stock ones.

The PIAA sports horns and PIAA slimline sports horns that were mentioned earlier do not, and therefore do not require added wiring or relays.

That is unless you are adding a 2nd horn to a 3rd gen. Not sure what the fuse and wiring is rated at on a 3rd gen with it's single OEM horn

By the time you hit the horn it's too late. Best to use evasive measures then apply middle finger.

JMO,

Dave

By the time you hit the horn it's too late. Best to use evasive measures then apply middle finger.
JMO,

Dave
I've been riding 48 years, and I can think of two instances where I think the horn actually helped me avoid the accident. I agree, for the most part, that the horn is usually used in anger. Nonetheless, I still like being able to wake them up with a loud horn ;)

Right...Cuz you have to wake them up before you give them the finger. Otherwise the cop next to them will think you were doing it to him.

+1 for the bitch slapping cagers with Hella Super Tones. Something to behold and I'll admit to worrying about one soccer mom who corrected so quickly I was afraid she was headed off the shoulder.
I'm confused! I see one party is saying Hella Super Tones and the other says Hella Duo Tones. Which one fits with no alteration and kits are available with the horns. If you have a part or model number that would be most helpful Does anyone know if just one horn will work on the 2014 or do I have to use a pair? Tks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honk AND show them they are #1!
That's usually what I do as well. I do have LOUD horns on my 04 FJR and once I had a car drifting into my lane. I hit the horn and whoever was driving got a rude wake up call. And letting them know they were "#1" helped as well. Gotta love loud horns!!

I had a car drifting left toward me on the interstate on my 'wing, and when I honked the horn it startled her so badly she over corrected and ran off on the shoulder to her right. That apparently startled her so badly that she over corrected again and made another run at me, whereupon I honked again and she hit the shoulder again. This time she settled back into the right lane, and I cautiously rode up beside her and looked. She was banging on the steering wheel with both hands and yelling. Jeez!

+1 for the bitch slapping cagers with Hella Super Tones. Something to behold and I'll admit to worrying about one soccer mom who corrected so quickly I was afraid she was headed off the shoulder.
I'm confused! I see one party is saying Hella Super Tones and the other says Hella Duo Tones. Which one fits with no alteration and kits are available with the horns. If you have a part or model number that would be most helpful Does anyone know if just one horn will work on the 2014 or do I have to use a pair? Tks for any help you can provide.
Hella Supertone Kit: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hella+supertone+horns&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=14585586595&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=787325165807189952&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1n8hx6uond_b

This fit my '09 FJR with very minor bending of the stock mounting positioning. For the horn mounted on the throttle side I had to rotate the mounting tab on the horn itself 180 degrees to position the electrical terminals at the top of the horn when mounted. They clear the inner cowling by just over 1/4" and clear the forks easily at full compression and full lock. I didn't know how to get to the mounting points when I did this (hadn't found the "plastics removal" write up by Kaitsdad yet) so it took me some time. I used the Easter Beaver Horn Wiring Kit but didn't see them listed when I checked the site yesterday. They were also available from a forum member a couple of years ago but I don't remember the member's name.

Hardly ever use the horn. If you have time to blow it, it's not an emergency. The toot of a horn usually comes off as an expression of anger, offending the tootee. Probably wiser to keep quiet and be on your way.

Hardly ever use the horn. If you have time to blow it, it's not an emergency. The toot of a horn usually comes off as an expression of anger, offending the tootee. Probably wiser to keep quiet and be on your way.
I strongly disagree about inaction. They still just keep doing stupid things and ignoring others around them. They will never learn, never change and possibly injure someone on the future, or Worse...

I totally disagree. Emergency situations rarely are instantaneous. Most start as potentially threatening situations that could easily become emergency situations were we not able to sound the horn. Lane encroachment is a common one. And if the sound of a set of blaster horns at full wail is confused as a 64 Buick and stops them from running me over....then that tone can sound angry, offensive, and even hostile for all I care. I've had more than one occasion that loud horns have saved me and glad to have them. One case where I watched a guy not headcheck and as I laid into them..he thought he was about to be run over by a 3 ton hunk of 60's metal and jerked back into his lane. As I rode by he had a puzzled look that the sound didn't match what he probably perceived as a scooter on steroids.

And the 2014 with a single horn...even in more need of a hornupectomy.

And yes, I've had occasions where a horn wasn't the right thing and focused my attention exclusively on evasive maneuvers. .....but it was still good to have horns on standby!

And loud horns need not sound angry all the time. A quick blip, blip, blip and even loud ones sound friendly. Loud...but friendly.
wink.png

Today, I was in a car taking my mother-in-law to the doctor (what a guy ;) ) and was on I-430 in Little Rock. We were in a little log jam of cars with a tail gater. The car in the center lane started moving toward us slowly. I honked the horn; he sort of jerked back to his lane. My options were honk the horn and be prepared to do something else or hit the brakes with a tail gater hot on our rear bumper. At the rate he was coming and considering the width of an interstate lane, I had plenty of time to try the horn and do something else if need be. Of course I could have hit the brakes, but with the dingbat 6' from our rear bumper, that's not what I wanted to do.

Warning drivers that they are drifting or usually just moving over into my safety zone accounts for about 99% of my horn use. Alerting drivers who are backing up into the street and similar situations account for almost all the rest. I've hit the horn button by accident a couple of times and take that as a sign that I need to take a break and refocus.

Warning drivers that they are drifting or usually just moving over into my safety zone accounts for about 99% of my horn use. Alerting drivers who are backing up into the street and similar situations account for almost all the rest. I've hit the horn button by accident a couple of times and take that as a sign that I need to take a break and refocus.
I've hit my Goldwing horn by accident while pawing for my signals with winter gloves; it was quite startling. If I've ever hit my horn by accident on the FJR, I didn't realize it
rolleyes.gif