2014 horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a reason that you want to replace the right side (when sitting on the bike) horn. The right one is the higher tone OEM horn. It is the one that makes the horns sound like the roadrunner (meep meep) instead of like a 1950's Buick. You really want the latter.

Sound the horns one at a time and you'll see what I mean, then replace the wimpier sounding one on the right.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a word: no.

FJRs have never been known to be lacking in the cooling department, even in the hottest weather.

Plus air can still move around the horn and get to that section of radiator, not that it would be significant even if it were totally blocked off there.

Installed the 500/600 sport horns on the 014. Left one on the OEM bolt, right one on the radiator bolt. Seems like plenty of room. Fashioed a harness so I could wire both to the OEM horn connects. Seems freaking pleasantly loud. I don't forsee any problem.

Installed the 500/600 sport horns on the 014. Left one on the OEM bolt, right one on the radiator bolt. Seems like plenty of room. Fashioed a harness so I could wire both to the OEM horn connects. Seems freaking pleasantly loud. I don't forsee any problem.
I assume the PIAA 85112 - that's what I am going with after reading this thread. Combined power draw is 5.4 amps. Looks easy enough to hook up. I assume you just spliced into the OEM wire and worked it across the top of the radiator.

Bought PIAA from https://www.amazon.com/85112-115db-500HZ-600HZ-Sports/dp/B00079V5ZI, two horns.

OEM Horn -

Replacement Horn

In the box:

558d4f2d-4562-4aee-a233-840c8f02c390_zps5bd414b3.jpg

631a3583-a3ec-47cc-9431-1f20a7ab0414_zpsac2a78ce.jpg

Original Horn Location:

20140426_1145391_zpsff164f1e.jpg

New Horn Location:

20140426_1548501_zps78515d3f.jpg

In other forums there has been mention of frustration re-installation of the bolts: Just installed my PIAA horns, in this thread there are persons stating it is a pain to get the bolts back in. I also cursed this, however I may get some longer bolts, cut the heads off and use as studs (Loctited in place) then the horns can be put in place and install nuts on the stud you have made and use either Ny-loc nuts, shake proof washers or Loctite. This should make the process easier. My $0.02 worth.

pcarnut - You did something very wrong if your PIAAs measured same as OEM. I put only one PIAA slimline 500Hz horn in and it measured considerably louder.
You didn't use two of the same tone horns did you?
Fred,

Did you just replace the OEM horn with the PIAA slimline 500Hz horn or did you add it to the right side to supplement the OEM horn?

I did both. On my 2005 I replaced the higher tone horn with a single PIAA slimline horn, and that helped a lot.

On my 2014, which only had one stock horn, I replaced it with two of the PIAA Sports Horns. That required making a bracket for the 2nd horn, but it was louder than the 2005 setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the 400& 500hz on my 2016 yesterday. What a difference. One of the easiest upgrades I've ever done to a bike.
And great fun, too! I'm still enjoying my install of several months ago at every underpass
punk.gif
. Plus I had the joy of actually using them the other day. I'm in the right lane of a two-lane left only. We get the green arrow. I see a lady in the right lane of the two-lane right only across the intersection pulling out. Here we go- I zipped right up to her driver side door and laid on the horns. I think she shit herself. I know for a fact that she dropped her phone. Then the guy next to me (at my left making the left turn) laid on his horns. He was in an F150. I think she shit herself again. I do know she banged her head on the window when she yanked the wheel hard right. F150 dude and I laughed, gave each other the thumbs-up and went our separate ways. Great fun I tell ya!!