2014 Stumble on accel.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Fred W" data-cid="1329269" data-time="1470503389"><p>

Assume you mean the "set" since all 4 are bolted together in one assembly.<br />

<br />

And some good news for you, assuming they ordered part number 1MC-13750-00-00 (~$1300), which is the 49 state Throttle Body Assembly, they'll probably fix your problem since that includes the TPS along with everything else on the throttle bodies.</p></blockquote>

That's one way to get a TPS replaced. Too bad logic and deductive reasoning didn't play a part in this cluster fuck. Either way, Bill, I hope this gets you back on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
CHECKING THE THROTTLE SERVO MOTOR

1. access, blah, blah, blah

2. Check: throttle valve operation. Throttle valves do not fully close --> Replace the throttle bodies

a. connect two C-size batteries to the throttle servo motor terminals as shown.

A. Check that the throttle valves (points to each individual TB) open.

B. Check that the throttle valves (points to each individual TB) fully close.

Page 7-10 says: Do not open the throttle valves by supplying electrical power to the throttle bodies. !!!!

No place is any data logged that a Yamaha agent could check and specify to replace throttle bodies. The above is what the FSM says in its entirety about checking the throttle bodies. Even the Event Code Table does not have a means to record the throttle bodies.

Apparently the '13 to '15 has grown up and now has DIAG unlike previous years with diAG
wink.png
In DIAG it only mentions checking the Accelerator Position Sensor. You can use Actuator Codes to fire the injectors and use Code 67 to learn Idle Speed Control.

Hope what information was relayed to you was incomplete, else I have a bad feeling.... Maybe while the dealer is busy replacing one thing they will accidentally fix something else
dry.png

Their wording was they they supplied the data to yamaha, and corporate said replace the throttle bodies. That's not the mechanic, so his specific wording may not have been precise or correct. We will find out soon enough.

Even this would not be happening if I hadn't been well informed when I spoke to the shop and to Yamaha corporate. And you're right. Hammer for a thumbtack.

Confirmed throttle body assembly- kit and caboodle. Parts not in yet. Would have been better off replacing the tps on my own. But it'll work out.

Just got word. Yamaha advised dealer parts won't be available until some time in October. They're going to have to cough up a loaner bike or make me whole another way. Completely unreasonable. Corporate checking to see if they can get parts off another unit somewhere. Dealer is frustrated, as am I.

Why not just replace the TPS now. Easy to do and the part should be available. May or may not fix your issue but it's a lot faster then waiting till the cows come home!

Entirely logical. But I'm in so far, i dont want to let Yamaha and Y.E.S walk away from their responsibility by having them pay to reassemble a bike that doesn't work. At this point, nothing less than a quick fix or a loaner bike will prevent me from seeking compensation. And I'm not usually that kind of guy. Time off the road with this one is approaching what I dealt with with my less-new BMW. Something I had hoped to avoid by buying a new bike with an extended warranty.

When I had TB FI clogging, bought a whole rack from eBay for 100 USD. Looked brand new. Fixed the problem until the injectors clogged again - I had not fixed the real problem which was JB Weld particulate in the aux tank clogging everything up.

I understand your frustration with this whole gig. My local tech, a good one, was baffled with my FI clogging problem. Took along time to figure it out. Good luck Bill.

Big difference here is that Bill's 2014 is still low mileage and still under factory warranty. I fully understand his frustration and think he has been more than tolerant with Yamaha.

Out of curiosity, how far apart is the bike right now? If it isn't too far disassembled, and they have a TPS around to stick on there, why not try it? That would be your best possible "quick fix". Replacing the throttle bodies complete is also a shotgun approach to troubleshooting the problem, just a bigger gauge gun. If a TPS doesn't fix it you are no further behind and still waiting on a part. If it does fix it, well... that's kind of the goal here, not to punish Yamaha for their inadequacies, even though they may deserve it in this case.

Getting in the road is definitely (and always has been) the goal. It's pretty disassembled at this point.

Bill Lumberg posted: Just got word. Yamaha advised dealer parts won't be available until some time in October. They're going to have to cough up a loaner bike or make me whole another way. Completely unreasonable. Corporate checking to see if they can get parts off another unit somewhere. Dealer is frustrated, as am I.
Just getting to this thread. Super bummer, man. Parts won't be available until OCTOBER?!?! Unobtanium? Imported from Mars?

Parts are stocked by *consumable *common repair/wear out *optional repair like wheels, tanks, handlebars *never stocked, special order are items deemed to be very, very low use -- like the TB rack, frames and probably engines. Dealers will usually stock the first two levels of items, regional warehouses may sock the next level of parts. It's a matter of tying up a lot of dollars in inventory that doesn't get turned back into cash on a timely basis.

AFAIK, this is the only instance where the entire TB rack is being replaced, it's no surprise that it has to be ordered and is more likely to be sent via boat than airplane. Dcarver only replace his TB rack because he could get a used rack inexpensively.

Perhaps a dealer that has a very slow moving FJR on their sales floor could donate a TB rack?

Talked to Yamaha again, after a 90 minute hold. Total lack of concern. "If you want to find the parts prior to "sometime in October", that's something you would have to do. We aren't going to look for them." -Cherise, Yamaha Corporate. This morning's corporate rep was Sabrina, who told me she'd try to find another bike to take the parts off of and call me back in a few. After that, incommunicado. This is an FJR forum. I won't share my thoughts except to say that I see another brand parked in my garage, if I can ever get this one running and sold. Not because the bike is bad. All things break. Repairs are part of life. But for a well documented lack of concern and lack of results. From the first guy at corporate who offered to make me a list of area dealers so I could take the bike to different ones until I found one who could fix it, to the one I spoke with a few moments ago, who said they're not going to do anything else. Sometime in October is their final offer. No looking for alternate part sourcing. No rental. What I'd expect from BMW or HD. Sorry for the long windedness guys. I need time to let the disappointment dissipate and then I'll evaluate next steps. Both regarding my deprivation of use, and possibly having that thing buttoned up and maybe ordering a TPS.

I feel for you, man, and agree with your thinking. Companies of all types exist because of customers. If Momma Yama isn't taking care of you -- a customer -- you should consider alternatives. My clients certainly would.

I'd tell them to button it back up, ride it out the door, then order a TPS from one of the many online dealers and install it yourself. In October, put the old TPS in, ride it back to the dealer, get them to replace the assembly and ride it home. Keep the slightly used TPS as a spare (or sell it here).

Or - Ask the dealer for the old parts when they are done; re-install the new TPS and sell it on EBay to recover some money on your frustration. Okay, this last part probably won't happen because MamaYama will want the old parts back.

Or....just buy this: https://r.ebay.com/tYudU5 resell it in October for what you bought it for.